Perspective

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I refuse to enable the self-entitled on this whole AxeFXII thing.

BUT, if someone told me that they sent someone at FA an email asking about a new product, oh say about 3-4 weeks ago and was given a resounding "no" and the person went on to order an Ultra THEN I think that they may have a legitimate beef. I wholly understand the need to keep the release under wraps and secrecy is not the same as a flat out lie which that could definitely be construed as.

So basically if you asked the right question within a very recent period and were then lied to, directly to your face, than I'd probably be behind you on this one 100%. I think that you should be able to get in on a trade-in deal or something like that. That just seems fair to me. I just somehow don't see that being the case for more than none of us here.

All the other excuses are pretty damn weak and frankly pretty selfish.

Fractal Audio's a small company, selling a very specialized product to a very select market in a very weak economy and it's not like he can afford to throw away a ton of these things and just take a loss. Think about it; a company like Line6 has corporate HQ's and tons of workers; millions of units sold weekly, etc....they need the write-offs anyway. They can afford to blow them out or just toss them. They're markup per unit is ridiculous and combine that with quantity you can see why they're so big.

FA on the other hand has just moved to a new location, moves less units in a year than Line6 probably does in an afternoon and has a hell of a lot more money invested in one DSP chip alone than anything Line6 has in any completed product they sell. He sure as hell doesn't have the resources to just eat units that he's already paid to have built or probably even afford to blow them out; especially when he's ramping up production for a new line. This stuff isn't made from fairy dust and elbow grease.

Some of the 'suggestions' I've read here wouldn't mean cheap new AxeFXII's for everyone; it would mean nothing for anyone...forever, because he'd go under.

What really pisses me off about this whole thing is that this guy has made something that we all love and enjoy or else we wouldn't even be here. He's continuously provided updates completely free of charge FOR YEARS when other companies either capitalize on them or just don't come out with a working version at all before it goes to legacy status and is no longer supported.

So then he takes everything that everyone has been saying "man it'd be great if it had _____" and made it happen in the AxeFXII...then upon the triumphant unveiling of his biggest accomplishment to date he's met with cries of foul play and accusations of insider trading (which is laughable).

And the funny part here is that if the big announcement had only been new firmware and an official release of AxeEdit EVERYONE would have been beating their chests over still being king of the hill and how great a guy Cliff is because he's got a different business model, etc...(insert additional cliche Cliff-ass-kissing comments here). There would have been a lot of people playing instead of whining too.

I don't know how many posts I've read where someone says "I have no amp GAS anymore" or "the sounds are the best ever" yet that somehow isn't the case anymore?

Now you feel slighted for buying the exact product that you thought you were getting when you hit the submit button on the order form?

You can speculate about how things could have been handled differently or better if it were you running things, but the bottom line is that you have no idea what the situation is financially, logistically, projection wise or anything else that determines his business plan or decisions. None of us do.

To sit here and say that you would do trade-ins, rebates, discounts or anything else like that sounds great...from our perspective. Don't forget that he's included an additional $200 DSP inside this thing and only charged about $200 more than the Ultra. To me that doesn't sound like he's left himself a whole lot of extra room for additional profit or extra discounts. If he gave these 'loyal customer' discounts then when is he going to make the money he needs to not only survive but actually succeed...because that is the point of making something revolutionary isn't it?

We are his entire customer base for the most part. We aren't talking about a lot of sales here to make up the profit; there aren't millions of AxeFXII's on the shelf of every Guitar Center in the country. If we don't buy them then who will? All the guys that are laughing it up on the other forums? The guys that we've laughed at and argued with?

He built this for us, it's what we asked for; how can you be disappointed?

I mean what was he supposed to do here? I'm so frickin' mad over this now that I think that this is the 5th rendition of this post because the other ones would have probably gotten me banned.

Perspective; get some.

I agree. The only issue I've had with this company is their trouble with availability.

But the coming weeks will prove whether or not that's a staying issue.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. It has been (and is) great right now.

Speaking of perspective...how thick must Cliff's skin be and how healthy a perspective he must have to endure this stuff and keep his humor throughout?

Speaking of perspective...how thick must Cliff's skin be and how healthy a perspective he must have to endure this stuff and keep his humor throughout?

It's definitely thickened since starting this company.

@Shasha...
do you have any idea how many times I started to write that exact same message, and like you stopped short and scrapped it ???
I for sure would have been exiled :eek:ops
Best "perspective" I've seen on this whole "debate" since Cliff announced the new product
<standing ovation in order>

A few trolls that stoked some tempest in teapots is all. Nothing new. I say give them no mind or attention. That was the point for them; to get their 15 seconds of 'fame'.

Companies and product lines grow and live; or stagnate and die. Small boutique level companies that do direct sales via the Internet have to put up with Internet chatter; it comes with the territory.

The way I see it, Fractal was in a 'damned if you do' and 'damned if you don't' position; as they are on most any move they make.

Paraphrasing a common saying, ""You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Getting into Fractal's grill over the resale values on the secondary market - where Fractal has never made a penny - is the tail wagging the dog and simply a straw man diversionary tactic to rile up the ownership. I've never been offered any sort of buy-back from any gear I've ever bought except software - and that's simply downloads - never a physical product; with Fractal the firmware upgrades were part of the deal. On which they've delivered fully. But a buy-back or upgrade path as products were sunsetted? Never even hinted at. Does it suck that your resale value might take a hit should you decide to move your Standard/Ultra *assuming* the actual sale prices do take a step back? Yes it does suck. The reality is that the market will take time to establish the new used market prices; and a) that hasn't happened yet; b) Fractal has no control, say nor benefits from the secondary market in any way.

Would it be nice if everyone that wanted a Axe2 got one for free? Sure! But is that realistically going to happen or a plausible reality by any stretch? No. I have a 2007 MazdaSpeed6. I *love* this car. It has a very bad tendency to literally eat tires - even 60,000+ wear rated tires - in 20,000 miles. They are low profile 18" tires that cost me $700 a set every 18 months on average. I rotate them every 5,000 miles (and then tried rotating them every 2,500 miles, the car is in spec (toe-in/toe-out and alignment) and I don't ride the tires hard. Does it suck to have to buy new tires every year and a half? Yes, it sucks HARD. Does that make me dislike the car? Nope. I love driving it.

And so it goes.

Well I bought the Ultra a little over 6 months ago and I think at that time Fractals pricing was just fine, but at some point when there is a new hardware release coming older hardware/software should start a reduction in pricing. Everyone does this, its fair to the new buyer because he's getting it for a discounted price and it also lets existing users know that its time to start saving their penny's. And yes the Axe is good hardware and its expensive, but we all can build a computer now that cost many times more 5 years ago and thats exactly what the Axe is. And as for me I will not sell my Ultra and no doubt in the next few months pick up an Axe II (if available)and make a much more expensive than I anticipated back-up rig from the Ultra. I'm all for next gen its what I love, Heck.... I may even be partly responsable for this because alot of the hardware upgrades were a wish list I posted a few days after getting the ultra and even then I knew it couldn't be an "add-on". I think the count-down drove some of us crazy LOL!! (I would hate to be some of you' spouse) I hope Fractal is very sucessful with this and has conquered the supply problems. :)

Nice perspective. I just got some myself.

You guys complaining, just sit down with your Ultra or Standard and play for about an hour. Flip through some of your favorite patches.

You may want the new thing on the block, but you really don't need it.

What you purchased is awesome as hell. At least mine is.

Last edited:
Cliff

I agree that it's a balancing act in any business as far as moving forward with new innovation. But what I expect as a customer that just laid out over 2,000 dollars a few weeks ago is to know why there was'nt a clue that there was a new product in the very near future. In life as well as business what will build good will in any endeavor is respect.

It seems that you've built a respectable business with the way that all of these people are coming to your defense because of the way that you've kept the product up to date with the upgrades, etc..

But my question is why you showed no respect for your NEW customers that were laying out their hard earned cash towards a company that has built a good reputation for the way it does business. How would YOU feel if you were in our shoes.

When I purchased a Control 24 from Digidesign/Avid they let me know a couple of months before the new C/24 was released and let me make the choice if I wanted to wait for the new one or they'd give me a special discount on the Control 24 that was being phased out. I chose the Control 24 and was totally happy with the purchase. When you share that kind of info with your perspective customers it builds a trust and respect about the company that you're doing business with.

All I would of liked to hear from FAS was what was going to happen so that I could of made an informed decision about what I needed to do for my music. As a professional I love the AxeFx but I don't like the feeling that I was misled in any way and only you can clear up the confusion. I'm sure we would all love to hear from you about the future.

Thanks for listening

And yes the Axe is good hardware and its expensive, but we all can build a computer now that cost many times more 5 years ago and thats exactly what the Axe is.

This is too simplistic IMO. The Axe-FX is:

Pro audio quality analog input stage -> Pro Audio quality A/D converters -> COMPUTER -> Pro Audio Quality D/A converter -> Pro Audio Quality Analog output section.

Add to that the hardware component and circuit board quality.

The only thing to get any cheaper in recent years is the "COMPUTER" part. And I have no idea if the Tiger Shark Processors in the Axe-FX are any cheaper than they were 4 years ago.

Shasha your dead on brother!
had a comparable problem a few years ago.bought a flatscreen tv that died 1 year after the purchase.almost to the day.but still under warranty.contacted the company,no problem,bring it back to best buy and exchange it.the problem being exchange for a comparable model,not comparable price.in 1 years time the comparable model was $400 less than what i had originaly paid.that's just the way it is.

anyways,i'm thinking of jumping on board when Axe II ultra comes out.still completely satisfied with my vintage Ultra:)

Well I feel better now; I expected to be torn to pieces over this.

I got nothing vested in this obviously, but it was eating at me. :)

I'll admit that I had a lot of fun during the countdown and probably was instrumental in getting the forum to blow up, but it was all in fun and in celebration for what is probably Cliff's biggest achievement to date. I guess that I got a little too involved with it and took a lot of the initial reaction as inappropriate...and while I love to wind people up in good fun I have no tolerance of disrespect. I know Cliff's a big boy and can handle it, but this was for me to vent, not to come to anyone's rescue or anything.

With all that said I understand knee jerk reactions and emotions were involved so I really hope that once people take a step back that we all realize that nothing has changed for the worse here. I suppose you could argue about the resale value, but as Scott said the market dictates that and to be quite honest here I have no worldly idea how the price remained that high for that long. That's a testament to the products put out here because NOTHING holds that kind of value in the real world. :)

I wonder if I beat the crap out of my Ultra if I can sell it as relic'd?

So much respect, best wishes and a thank you to Fractal Audio for taking almost everything that we've been asking for into consideration; said screw the cost to build it, worked their asses off and pulled it off.

Yes I am still in love with my Ultra....but we all know that most of us will be owning the AxeFXII in the future. I've got my retirement coming up soon and I think that I know what I'll be getting now.

:Standing slow clap:

Agreed 1000% !

Shasha, thank you for delivering, so eloquently, the very sentiments that I've been wrestling with all day. We are Fractal's customer base and this group is becoming more and more prone to feelings of entitlement. Fractal (Cliff) has pulled another rabbit out of his hat. The new hardware and the new algorithms are sure to please once we get our hands on them. I just wish Cliff could enjoy a few moments to reflect on a sense of accomplishment without having to endure the incessant complaints about how people, who could never do what he does, would have done it "better".

Cheers,

slow clap+1. We get a better deal than most with FAS. Hell, the big guy actually posts in this forum and answers our questions, takes our suggestions, and delivers. When's the last time you emailed Line 6 with a product idea or upgrade idea (new amps, etc.) and had it implemented lol!

BMH: It's one thing to post regarding dislike or displeasure with how a situation went down, but there is a way to do it constructively without throwing personal and derogatory comments towards the owner. This forum is actually one of the most well spoken forums I frequent, and I can say that almost all of the time someone has been 'flamed' for speaking their dislike was when they did it in such a way that was disrespectful and condescending.

Last edited:
Well............ I love a lot of things and a lot of people that theres some aspect I don't like but I love them just the same..... now Cliff if you only had blue eyes heheheh

Back
Top Bottom