PERIPHERY - FINALLY! WE HAVE A SINGER! NEW SONG AND MORE SHI

bulb

Hey dudes and dudettes!
We got the best early Chrismachanukwanzaa present ever!!

We finally found a singer!!
His name is Chris Barretto and his vocal chord talents make us all strangely moist and happy where the pampers is!
We saw him perform with his band "Lamps Burning" when we shared the stage at our last show on our last tour at Dingbatz in Clifton NJ and he just blew us away so we asked him to audition!

We are so excited about this for many obvious reasons because now we can play shows as a full lineup again and we can finally start working on our full length, which if all goes well should be out by spring 2009!! Orbo is going to track LIVE DRUMS for the album with Mark Lewis in early January, and we will actually be going to Casey's to record vocals!

Anyways we have a new version of Light uploaded with Chris's vocals so that you can hear him in action, and we are so excited about writing the vocals for the rest of the album now that we have him onboard!

Also in other news we have just stocked up on shirts in both designs, so order away and wear them to shows, word on the street is that members of the opposite sex will find you unbearably attractive and probably try to make raep to you, but thanks to the superhuman strength the shirt will also offer you, you will easily be able to fend off any foes/unwanted sex partners!

Anyways you can check the song out here on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/periphery (the first song on the player)
or on soundclick at
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7120565

I hope you guys enjoy it because we are all really excited and relieved that the search is finally over!

Yay!

Some cool underlying rhythms going on in the verses. Somewhat Meshuggah at times. Sounds like the guitars are tuned quite low. I'm guessing A at the highest. :) Overall quality is very good. And yes, the new singer is good. Very fortunate.

So........ what amps/settings etc did you use for the guitars? Esp the rhythm parts.

I continue to be a huge fan of your work MIsha. Best of luck to you with the new album and great score on the vocalist - really fantastic for your style.

Anyone want to take bets where they get it signed? :)

Sounds great, Misha. Chris definitely has the pipes and the style that meshes perfectly with Periphery's style. I look forward to hearing him on more tunes. Congratulations!

I like him Misha, his clean sounds similar to old Incubus. By the way you may have met some of my friends from After the Burial this summer. More eight string fun!

Well, I thought I would like this more but unfortunately I don't. Yes, the singer is good and the music is great but the way the singer is interacting with the band just isn't working for me, especially on the verses. In the verses, the band (drums, bass, guitars) are all working in syncronisity with the polyrhythms going like mad. They're pretty much acting as one unit but the problem is that the lryics/phrasing are still in straight time and it makes it sound like there are two different songs going on at once. In otherwords, it sounds like the bands doing one thing and the singer's doing another thing and that leads to an unstructured competitive mess. I love your instrumental stuff, Mischa, but with the non-polyrhythmic lyrics/singing in the verses it takes away from what an amazing thing the band is doing.

The chorus part works for me. The polyrhythms by the band are still there but they're not as random as the verse and you can still hear the "1" in each bar with the polyrhythms. The singing/lryics are then complimenting it and at those moments you really start to sound like you're a "band". I say you should either change the instrumental part on the verse so that the "1" is more prominent by the band in all the polyrhythms or totally arrange the phrasing so that Chris is singing the polyrhythm shots with you and not singing with the "1" in mind. Personally, I think you should do the latter as it will really sound cool and more unified and more like you're wanting to do your own thing vs trying to make your sound more mainstream (which isn't working in the verses).

My $0.02. Just trying to help as I really love your instrumental work and trying to add suggestions of how to make the singing gell more perfectly with your fantastic riffs. Congratulations on the new singer. He sounds spot on, tone wise.

Leland.

thanks a lot dudes! really glad you guys approve!
ecila, ah yeah dude those be mah boys! they actually crashed here when they last came to town, i love those dudes, so fuckin talented!

bluelotus: yeah not everyone is going to dig what we are going for vocally, but we are all extremely happy with the way it came out. See im not so much into "confusing" people, and during the more syncopated parts i love it when the vocals keep it grounded so that it can still groove hard, because i would rather be able to tap my foot along than be like wtf is going on. I definitely see what you are saying though, its just different strokes haha!

On a couple of more listens, I think that a really simple fix would be if you either turned up the cymbals in the verses or had the drummer hit a certain specific cybal on every "1" that it would work better. He's playing the cymbal crash on every 1/4 note anyways and I think that would gell the singer to the rhythms a bit more. Nothing wrong with the polyrhythms, I think their cool, it's just that it sounds like the singer's trying to keep the groove and the band's ignoring him.

Maybe the mix is fine with the cymbals but it's hard to tell on Soundclick because the EQ is flat and I usually have my WMP with the highs and lows up more. I still think that the crash cymbals on the first verse especially could come up a bit. The kick and snare are so loud and pronounced that it makes the cymbals sound like their in the background when in fact they're the only other instrument grooving with the singer. Again, could be the non EQ of soundclick's popup player. Love the choruses (the growling vocal parts) but I think a little more " 1 2 3 4..." cymbal crashes on the verses would help out the singer and groove it with the overall band more.

BlueLotus said:
On a couple of more listens, I think that a really simple fix would be if you either turned up the cymbals in the verses or had the drummer hit a certain specific cybal on every "1" that it would work better. He's playing the cymbal crash on every 1/4 note anyways and I think that would gell the singer to the rhythms a bit more. Nothing wrong with the polyrhythms, I think their cool, it's just that it sounds like the singer's trying to keep the groove and the band's ignoring him.

Maybe the mix is fine with the cymbals but it's hard to tell on Soundclick because the EQ is flat and I usually have my WMP with the highs and lows up more. I still think that the crash cymbals on the first verse especially could come up a bit. The kick and snare are so loud and pronounced that it makes the cymbals sound like their in the background when in fact they're the only other instrument grooving with the singer. Again, could be the non EQ of soundclick's popup player. Love the choruses (the growling vocal parts) but I think a little more " 1 2 3 4..." cymbal crashes on the verses would help out the singer and groove it with the overall band more.

you can download the song from soundclick. download it and listen through winamp. I think the vocals fit well, although mixed a little on the loud side compared to the music.

JoshuaLogan said:
you can download the song from soundclick. download it and listen through winamp...

I click on the "download" link and it does nothing but reload the same page. Even when I'm logged in, it just reloads the same page. I'd like to download it and listen to it on my WMP as that is what I listen to everything on and can better judge the sound.

JoshuaLogan said:
BlueLotus said:

you can download the song from soundclick. download it and listen through winamp. I think the vocals fit well, although mixed a little on the loud side compared to the music.
Problem is that the mp3 is limited to 128kb with soundclick, and there is no "download" option within the new Myspace player (i've found a hack way to download the mp3 from myspace, but it's still low quality)... so we are stuck listening to low quality mp3s that strip away all the nuances & clarity of the music.

mortega76 said:
JoshuaLogan said:
BlueLotus said:

Problem is that the mp3 is limited to 128kb with soundclick, and there is no "download" option within the new Myspace player (i've found a hack way to download the mp3 from myspace, but it's still low quality)... so we are stuck listening to low quality mp3s that strip away all the nuances & clarity of the music.

Yeah, for my own stuff I don't like to go below 192... usually just keep it at 320 and upload it somewhere... but that's not the problem he was having. He just wanted to listen to it through his winamp EQ

Very cool man! Kinda sounds like Thrice vocals meets Fear Factory but different. Definitely let me know when you guys are going to release the cd especially if that song is an indicator of the rest of the album. I'll be listening to that album for a while lol.

Back
Top Bottom