Perhaps AxeFx meaning of "preset" could be defined better?

I'm sure many non-US Axe owners had trouble figuring out what "tube" meant in the literature, as they are used to the word "valve", but I think they managed, just as I'm sure anyone can get past "preset" vs "patch"

"Preset" versus "Factory preset". I see no issue, but it's a good point. I don't see anyone using the term "patch"... but then again I only switched to digital recently and have no idea what a "bank" is, or why it's made up of "patches"... I just hand mine my money.

"Preset" is a more-or-less universal term in the digital music gear industry; it's not just a Fractal thing. When you create or load a preset, you pre-set your gear to sound a certain way. Factory presets were created in exactly the same way that you create your own presets. They're the same thing—the only difference is who made them. There's no need for another word.

A preset is a set of parameters that I can save for later use. The moment I select this set of parameters from a list, it's basicly a "pre-set", because it was "set" prior to using it. I didn't dial it in at the time I'm using it, thus it was "pre-set".

So, whenever there is a timely disconnect between setting something up and using it, it's a preset.

There are only 3 things that are loadable in the Fractal:

- firmware
- preset / patch
- IR

Not confusing in and of itself. I see confusion in new users not because of the above, but because of the blizzard of other options and considerations. The cart before the horse where a new user gets concerned about advanced parameters before even trying the tone controls.

A patch would probably work better than a preset on your pants , but with the AxFx (what's the difference ? ) none ! It doesn't matter ! :)

I have some sympathy with the OP's point. Interesting to note that the vast majority of people responding in this thread have high post counts, therefore are well versed in the terminolgy used and hardly likely to respond positively to the OP. Personally, I find "preset" infers something that has been set in advance by someone else, eg the factory, therefore not necessarily something I have created. In my experience with other programmable music equipment, there is often a stronger emphasis on "user" vs "factory" in some other manufacturers' documentation. However, as nobody here shares "factory presets", there's little real confusion when someone posts a "preset" - it's obvious that it is a "user preset". Anyway, nevertheless an interesting discussion.

There seems to be near-complete unanimity that there's no problem here. So, to repeat Rosanna RosannaDana….

"NeverMind"...

I grew up with all the old Digitech rack gear and they used the term "Preset" so that's what I'm most familiar with but the word "patch" means the same darn thing so it really is a non issue if a piece of gear uses that terminology....

Personally I think the word "preset" makes more sense...lol

Presets that come with the unit are routinely called "factory presets". Even these change as the firmware develops. "Patches" have no meaning with this product. As far as synths go, every manufacturer has their own way of structuring and naming these entities (patches, presets, layers, tones, performances, etc.).

Don't sweat it. I've seen people bent out of shape because the Axe has no presets that cannot be overwritten.

Back
Top Bottom