Perhaps AxeFx meaning of "preset" could be defined better?

paulasbell

Inspired
"So are these the stock presets from fw 19 or are these all tweaked presets that would replace all my banks?"

In a recent thread of Fremen's, a relatively new user posted this question. Presumably, the answer is that these are Fremen's OWN "presets"… that is, the routing, exact parameters, scene structure, controller settings, amp&cab choices, etc are as chosen and tweaked by Fremen. However, the poster of that question really does help to display a vagueness with the word "preset", that often trips up more experienced users, as well.

In the synth world, the above concept is generally called a "patch". The word "preset" specifically refers to the "patches" that are originally included in the synthesizer, by the manufacturer. A player's bank of sounds would likely include some "stock factory presets", some "tweaked presets", and perhaps some personally created "patches" of his own. The specific term used would clarify whether a certain sound was an original factory preset,
a truly original creation of the player, or anything in between.

It seems to me that we don't have (or, at least, we don't commonly USE) a term here in the AxeFx world, to help make these distinctions. As a result, a lot of explaining needs to take place, as to "what kind of preset is this? Is it a factory preset, or a personal tweak of a factory preset, or something completely original?"

I'm wondering if others see this as a problem, or wish that we could agree on an additional word– one that might get used, in addition to the word "preset"– to help make these distinctions?

Last edited:
I think I know where you are coming from, but the two descriptions or terminologies are not mutually exclusive and I've seen manufacturer literature that also seems to arbitrarily choose between the two.

Language issues are all about inherent difficulties based on non-subjective criteria.

As a previous girlfriend of mine said 'That's a bit of a mouthful' and yes she was talking about something similar to the above phrase (or at least I think she was).

Sorry but there's no real easy answer to this topic...

Interesting concept for discussion, but I think preset is the right term. Divided, "pre" and "set" describe what you get... something previously set (all those parameters you named).

Patches, in the synth world, came from the original synths. You had to manually put a cord, a patch cable, between two points on the controller boards to get a sound. Eventually the cables were replaced by electronic memory that could recall those connections... but keyboardists still call them what they originally did: a patch. If you look at the grid on the Axe Fx, it's easy to see what makes people also call them patches. But the term preset incorporates the patch layout and all the attendant settings into one reference.

To me, one is as good as the other in Axe Fx parlance because I take them to mean the same thing. If I had to pick one Id say preset is more descriptive. It incorporates patches, scenes, settings into one word. My guess is that is Fractal's reason for using it. It's just that going to #156 brings up a group of previously set parameters and routings to use. Pre-set.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Rick... in the old pre-digital days the 'patch' wouldn't even begin to describe the various settings of the different analogue components.

"If I had to pick one Id say preset is more descriptive."

Based on what you said, Rick, I think I may have expressed my
point poorly. (PS… I just referred to my original post, saw my misleading wording, and hopefully corrected it).
What I'm suggesting is that perhaps we could use ANOTHER TERM, IN ADDITION TO THE WORD "PRESET", when we are describing quite different things.
Presently, a "preset" might describe one of the 380+ thingees that Fractal issues (and which are permanently stored in the unit, I think?). Or, it might describe some entirely original creation like what Fremen, Simeon, and other of our resident geniuses come up with. Or something in between.

Again, I'm NOT proposing substituting some other word for "preset". I'm simply wondering if ANOTHER word to use, in addition to "preset", might be helpful. Perhaps using the terms "factory presets", "user-tweaked presets", and "user-created presets" would accomplish the goal I'm referring to. In any event, I'll survive, whatever the outcome…;)

BTW… I definitely know the origin of the original term "patch", and spent considerable time on recording sessions while they were created on Arp 2600's, Minimoogs, etc. Lotta paperwork, back in them days!

Last edited:
No, you were clear. I simply couldn't think of anything more descriptive of the thing we're defining than those two words! :shock Given that, I was just explaining my personal preference for the one.

I suppose what I am actually trying to say is that it would be more useful to educate the user to look at the process for what it is rather than to try to find a word (or words) that fit the many diverse concepts of the process from their unique perspectives. Hope that makes sense.

This is a simple case of new community member not fully understanding the local terminology/dialect. I don't see any kind of issue here or need other than occasionally helping confused folks out or directing them to the wiki on a case by case basis.

all the presets in the axe fx are adjustable buy the user, so I would say they are all user presets. the unit just comes new with factory default settings in them.

"all the presets in the axe fx are adjustable buy the user, so I would say they are all user presets. the unit just comes new with factory default settings in them."

I don't want to split unnecessary hairs here, but this doesn't quite make sense.

The factory default presets are all user-adjustable, of course. But they're "pre-set" at the factory… so, "factory presets" is a good term for 'em.
Then, we users adjust them, so that they're not factory presets anymore, but "user-tweaked presets", I guess.
Then, some guys like Fremen and Simeon create things that are totally different than anything that came out of the factory. It might be helpful to have a different name for their creations… like "user-created presets", maybe?
The only reason I'm posing this is because I see an advantage to having some kind of vaguely agreed-upon terms, for when discussions arise. (For example, threads concerning "resetting the amp block" might be a bit easier if it was clear what the difference is between a factory preset, a user-tweaked preset, and a user-created preset.)
Whatever…;)

Just to throw another term in the murky pool, in the MIDI world they are called programs. PC message = program change message. If you really want to confuse people, talk about how you can map presets (and scenes) to different MIDI programs in the Axe as well.

In the process control industry, such setups are often called "recipes". In automation, they're often called "schedules". Same things, really - a predefined set of functions/steps/values that can be loaded in to satisfy a given situation. "Preset" works for me. "Patch" I'm not so fond of as it implies a fix or workaround.

Sorry, But I am confused as to "what the issue is". I mean that seriously.

If someone has issues with the word preset what will they do when they see "Bias Excursion or "xformer match" . Guess there head will explode. Preset I think is the least of their worries.

Nobody's (at least, I'M not) asking for a replacement word for "preset". I'm sorry if I'm still not making that clear.
Apparently, this is not an issue that bothers anyone else. So, as Rosanna Rosennadana used to say…

"Never mind"….;)

Last edited:
When you join a community it's on you to learn the terminology. I suggest the SEARCH function.

I think it doesn't matter , the best thing to do is make your own tone and jam! I have never cared about anyone's presets and never will.

I have never been confused on this terminology, so imho it's pretty clear, I have dyslexia and words for sure throw me off, but preset/patch have been crystal clear so maybe it's just something that someone who does find it more difficult needs to learn to read between the lines a bit more:)

I have never been confused with this terminology and see no need to try and change or redefine anything.
I think most people understand what is going on and the two words are often used interchangeably with no issues

all the presets in the axe fx are adjustable buy the user, so I would say they are all user presets. the unit just comes new with factory default settings in them.
Pretty much. When I read about presets, I just assume it's a user preset unless it's described as a factory preset.

Back
Top Bottom