Performing Skills

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
After the thread started by @MicFarlow , there was quite a bit of interest in the topic of performing. Soooo, as a follow up to that, here is the quick version of what I have learned (the hard way).

When performing, there are 2 kinds of pressure. There is pressure on the audience, and there is pressure on the band. When you are playing a song, the pressure is on the audience. When you stop playing, the pressure is on the band. You ALWAYS want to keep the pressure on the audience.

Applause has a cycle. There is a point at which the applause starts to die. You MUST start your next song before the applause cycle ends. Once it dies, the pressure is on the band. Your aim is to keep the pressure on the audience from the moment you step on the stage to the moment you step off. Every member of the band must do his or her part to be a professional PERFORMER. Notice I did not say musician. I know loads of people who can play an instrument. People don't want to just listen to a band. they want to see a show. If your bandmates don't understand that, you have hitched your horse to the wrong wagon

I suggest you plan your sets (yes plan the entire set) based on how long the set is. If you are a bar band, the club wants their money's worth. You have exact start and stop times, so it should be pretty easy to plan. In a concert setting, you have a specific set for a specific time. Plan your set accordingly. I have done shows from 30 minutes to 3+ hours. Each time-frame requires planning or you are going to bomb.

Learn how to build momentum. I strongly suggest you number your songs from 1 to 5 based on the energy of the song. A slow ballad is a 1. Zep's Communication Breakdown is a 5. By numbering your songs, you can develop a better plan for building the momentum. If you start with a 5, then you have no place to take your set. You have already fired your best shot. Conversely, if you start with a 1, people are going to think that they are at a Barry Manilow show. That's OK if you are Tony Orlando and Yawn, but not good if you are relatively unknown and trying to build a buzz.

Start with a 3 or 4, but never a 1 or a 5. You should pace your sets so that they build to a high point. In a longer show, you can build a few smaller crescendos, with the final push to the end. You should also include an audience participation song. If you have recorded CD's, this is a good time to toss the merch. Use a song that has a simple melody and is very repetitious for the merch toss. Get one side of the room to compete with the other. Who can sing the loudest, etc. and reward them with some merch.

All successful bands know this. You will never see a professional act just winging it. Even if the performance appears to be very casual, it jut appears that way. Just playing songs without a set plan is like blowing up a balloon but letting the air out between breaths You work hard, but never make any progress. A carefully planned set list that builds momentum(s), and paying close attention to the applause cycle will present your band much better. Nothing says "amateur" better than a careless set list and boring performance.

Take the challenge. Plug in ANY professional act DVD you have. They will play 2 or 3 songs, then say "good evening". They will never start with a 1 or a 5. The show will have several points that the band builds to, and then the big finish. Don't forget the all important encore. Pace that too. It is the last impression people will have of you. Make it count.

So that is the very short version of how to plan a set list. A carefully planned set list works regardless of where you are playing. It works in an arena, a bar, heck, even in church. So that's my $0.02. Rock on brothers. If you want to PM me, you know where to find me.

There is not a thing that I don't agree with in that entire post. Although I do think you can start with a 5 as long as you pace things well. And that Radiohead can start with a 1. But I reckon a band that plays original music which is also famous can get away with breaking the rules.

I once attended 4 U2 shows in 2005 in relatively short times. And then you start noticing how well rehearsed and planned U2's setlists are, and how choreographed most of the movements and positions of the individual band members are. That at time X of song Y Bono will always stand at the same places. And while the speeches change, and a few songs will rotate in or out, the show generally remains the same. It was kinda boring to see by the 4th show, but then again the show is not designed nor geared for people going that many times. For the average visitor going once they got a kickass show.

Awesome post, will keep this in my toolbox. Every point makes perfectly sense. Thanks for sharing this.

After the thread started by @MicFarlow , there was quite a bit of interest in the topic of performing. Soooo, as a follow up to that, here is the quick version of what I have learned (the hard way).

When performing, there are 2 kinds of pressure. There is pressure on the audience, and there is pressure on the band. When you are playing a song, the pressure is on the audience. When you stop playing, the pressure is on the band. You ALWAYS want to keep the pressure on the audience.

Applause has a cycle. There is a point at which the applause starts to die. You MUST start your next song before the applause cycle ends. Once it dies, the pressure is on the band. Your aim is to keep the pressure on the audience from the moment you step on the stage to the moment you step off. Every member of the band must do his or her part to be a professional PERFORMER. Notice I did not say musician. I know loads of people who can play an instrument. People don't want to just listen to a band. they want to see a show. If your bandmates don't understand that, you have hitched your horse to the wrong wagon

I suggest you plan your sets (yes plan the entire set) based on how long the set is. If you are a bar band, the club wants their money's worth. You have exact start and stop times, so it should be pretty easy to plan. In a concert setting, you have a specific set for a specific time. Plan your set accordingly. I have done shows from 30 minutes to 3+ hours. Each time-frame requires planning or you are going to bomb.

Learn how to build momentum. I strongly suggest you number your songs from 1 to 5 based on the energy of the song. A slow ballad is a 1. Zep's Communication Breakdown is a 5. By numbering your songs, you can develop a better plan for building the momentum. If you start with a 5, then you have no place to take your set. You have already fired your best shot. Conversely, if you start with a 1, people are going to think that they are at a Barry Manilow show. That's OK if you are Tony Orlando and Yawn, but not good if you are relatively unknown and trying to build a buzz.

Start with a 3 or 4, but never a 1 or a 5. You should pace your sets so that they build to a high point. In a longer show, you can build a few smaller crescendos, with the final push to the end. You should also include an audience participation song. If you have recorded CD's, this is a good time to toss the merch. Use a song that has a simple melody and is very repetitious for the merch toss. Get one side of the room to compete with the other. Who can sing the loudest, etc. and reward them with some merch.

All successful bands know this. You will never see a professional act just winging it. Even if the performance appears to be very casual, it jut appears that way. Just playing songs without a set plan is like blowing up a balloon but letting the air out between breaths You work hard, but never make any progress. A carefully planned set list that builds momentum(s), and paying close attention to the applause cycle will present your band much better. Nothing says "amateur" better than a careless set list and boring performance.

Take the challenge. Plug in ANY professional act DVD you have. They will play 2 or 3 songs, then say "good evening". They will never start with a 1 or a 5. The show will have several points that the band builds to, and then the big finish. Don't forget the all important encore. Pace that too. It is the last impression people will have of you. Make it count.

So that is the very short version of how to plan a set list. A carefully planned set list works regardless of where you are playing. It works in an arena, a bar, heck, even in church. So that's my $0.02. Rock on brothers. If you want to PM me, you know where to find me.

Back
Top Bottom