Performing Allan Holdsworth's "Funnels" with the Axe II

Nice! Couple hours to get that down huh? LOL
Love that Allan tone!
Went back for a 2nd look .. Awesome job

I drool when I see those AH Carvins until I remember that first fret is superwide and the radius is too flat for me. But then again I haven't got to play one yet

Last edited:
great job, derryl!

interestingly, allan looks and sounds a bit uncomfortable during this solo...you can almost see his brain working in the first half. some slightly awkward pauses, too...but he seems to relax a bit towards the end and his playing over the fast changes is sublime. fantastic job transcribing all that...really well done!

Awesome! Would it be possible for you to post the patch that you're using? I'm a recent Axe convert and I also play on a Carvin Holdsworth, and I've been trying to dial in a patch to get that sort of lead tone, but I'm not satisfied with my results yet.

Awesome! Would it be possible for you to post the patch that you're using? I'm a recent Axe convert and I also play on a Carvin Holdsworth, and I've been trying to dial in a patch to get that sort of lead tone, but I'm not satisfied with my results yet.

until derryl get's back, you could try these - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/56218-holdsworth-patches-v7.html

i think derryl uses some slightly different methods to achieve his tone, so it might be interesting to compare

the one's i've linked to are v7, but i tested the lead patch and it seems to work ok with v9.

btw - the trick with the lead tone is to back off your guitar volume a touch and roll off the tone until it starts to attenuate the highs

btw - the trick with the lead tone is to back off your guitar volume a touch and roll off the tone until it starts to attenuate the highs

I'll have to try that. I have tried out that patch before, but it really didn't get me the sound I was looking for. Right now I'm using the Mesa Mark IV Lead 2+ and it's fairly close.

To transcribe that, like simeon said, is fantastic. Tone was spot on, timing was spot on. Incredible, incredible stuff...

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive comments. As far as the tone, I'm just about finished with a DVD that is going to cover this and a lot more. Subscribe to my youtube channel to be notified for it's release. Thanks!

RAHWK!!!!! \m/(>_<)\m/ Well... It's not Rock Music so much as the term "RAHWK" is just a general slang for AWESOME!!! Way to go, Mr. Derryl!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom