Performing a Complete Factory Reset

JRod4928

Power User
I've been reading about this and I'm still confused. I want to do a complete factory reset, including resetting every all, cab, and effect block to factory default, advanced parameters as well as standard parameters.

I've loaded 17.04 and all of the presets. What else do I have to do to set every parameter to default?

Basically, the presets don't sound "right" after the update and I want to go back to square one. I haven't set up any if my own presets yet, so I'm not concerned with overwriting anything

Here is one more i dont understand the factory reset of axe fx 2.
dont want to damage something in my black magicbox.
just want to restore it from scratch.
ive done reset parameters in IO.
is it more that i have to do.

2 possible solutions from that thread are to get a fw17 clean system file. And #2 is to turn off and on the cab and power amp modeling in global (bug)

Factory presets have not been updated since FW15, so you'll need to update all the amp blocks for those presets using the UPDATE AMPS ALL PRSTS option under the Preset page of the Utility menu. That will set all the new FW 17.04 amp defaults for all of the factory presets. I'm sure updated factory presets and an updated manual are both in the works at Fractal.

Basically, the presets don't sound "right" after the update and I want to go back to square one. I haven't set up any if my own presets yet, so I'm not concerned with overwriting anything

As it has been said, the presets have not been updated in a bit of time. I highly doubt a complete reset will change that. With the recent improvements/updates, they will doubtless sound completely different than what was intended when created. And while missing from this release, EVERY release should have 'this will change the sound of your existing presets' caveat attached. This is the risk/reward of upgrades.

Almost all of my personal presets had to be adjusted after this last one, and frankly it took a little experimentation to figure out what I needed to change (in MY case, it was adjustments to the SPKR tab on the amp...made a huge difference.) YMMV. But I would suggest that you rework the presets you use and see what works for you. Start with defaulting the AMP and CAB, bypass FX, and go from there.

Or even better, create your own presets.

R

As it has been said, the presets have not been updated in a bit of time. I highly doubt a complete reset will change that. With the recent improvements/updates, they will doubtless sound completely different than what was intended when created. And while missing from this release, EVERY release should have 'this will change the sound of your existing presets' caveat attached. This is the risk/reward of upgrades.

Almost all of my personal presets had to be adjusted after this last one, and frankly it took a little experimentation to figure out what I needed to change (in MY case, it was adjustments to the SPKR tab on the amp...made a huge difference.) YMMV. But I would suggest that you rework the presets you use and see what works for you. Start with defaulting the AMP and CAB, bypass FX, and go from there.

Or even better, create your own presets.

R

I definitely understand that FW releases will change the tone, but I want to start fresh. That way, I'll know that I am working with the most up-to-date FW and default settings before I start making my own presets. I think that's a logical step, right?

I agree with JRod4928 ... if your going to spend the time to dial things in, you might as well start from a CLEAN SLATE! I have always relied on the posted presets because I'm a dolt. Looks like they aren't going to be coming as often. So I guess I'll have to dial things in as well.

Create your presets from scratch and you will always have a clean slate. Anytime you use presets from an older firmware (even the factory presets) there's the possibility that some settings may not be the correct defaults. Block defaults and factory preset settings are completely different things in the Axe. Firmware updates contain no data that pertains to presets but do have factory cabs included. You can completely erase all the factory presets and the Axe won't miss a beat. Presets have to be updated separately from the firmware.

Back
Top Bottom