Perfect Strangers Cover

Very cool version, great voice

Thanks so much for the vocal compliment! It's funny, about a week before I sang that, I was having voice issues really bad. I'd grown so accustomed to pushing harder due to smoking that it was really hard to control my voice the first few years after quitting smoking. I nearly went back because my voice was horrible during the healing transition.

A vocal coach friend of mine said "you've learned how to sing with restrictions and have been pushing harder than you need to for years. Now that things are clean and clear, you have to learn to adjust your air."

Not that this is anything spectacular, but it was huge for me to sing stuff like this and actually hit and hold the notes. Glad you liked it.

Great playing Danny and superb tone on guitar tracks :)

Thanks a lot! I wish I would have done this with a DI track so I could use my newer tones. Then again...it's so fun to play, maybe I'll just redo them and hear how far I've come with my AxeFx since then.

Glad you guys liked this....it really means a lot. Thanks again for the comments and the listens. :)

Danny, Danny, Danny. You gotta post more stuff. You've been 'away' too long. This is KILLER. I keep going back to listen to it. Your voice is so 'in the zone'. The guitar is face ripage growling. Come on brother. Fellow NJ survivors. Share your talents more.

Danny..... super well done. Everything, from soup to nuts, sounded great. Your voice has a very unique character to it. Perfectly suited for that track. As for your humble manners and diplomacy, anyone who puts up a beef needs his ears boxed! Thanks for all your contributions here on the forum. I always enjoy your input.

Before I reply...man, how awesome are you guys?! I'm sitting here with a smile like you can't believe. Truth be told, I'm always so self conscious of everything, I sort of close up. My experience has been (not here so far) If I post stuff that is decent, people think I'm a dick. If you post something where you may have knowledge in a field, people think your a dick. So I've sort of withdrawn from most of my web communication. But you guys really know how to make a guy feel great. I sincerely appreciate it!

Danny, Danny, Danny. You gotta post more stuff. You've been 'away' too long. This is KILLER. I keep going back to listen to it. Your voice is so 'in the zone'. The guitar is face ripage growling. Come on brother. Fellow NJ survivors. Share your talents more.

Ok, I'll see what I can dig up. I don't want to wear out my welcome around here and I also like to reciprocate and listen to other people's stuff. Unfortunately, my time is very limited these days and the last thing I want is for people to think I'm an attention whore that posts and never checks out anything from anyone else. Thanks!

Danny..... super well done. Everything, from soup to nuts, sounded great. Your voice has a very unique character to it. Perfectly suited for that track. As for your humble manners and diplomacy, anyone who puts up a beef needs his ears boxed! Thanks for all your contributions here on the forum. I always enjoy your input.

Thanks Big Joe!!! I've always been humble. I know there's a million other players that can own me. I just do what I do in my goofy little tuning and hope people dig it. ;) You're welcome on the contributions....I wish I could do more. I got a few things in the works I may be able to share. Thanks again!

Damn - how did I miss this the first go 'round ?

Not only are you a kick *** guitarist but holy **** you've got some pipes !

Thanks Greg! I think singing is the hardest thing I've ever attempted to do. Drums came easy thank God...guitar, a nightmare due to the tuning, piano, harder than I thought....singing...forget it. I've been at it for years and always sounded like a back up singer that wished he could sing lead. I quit smoking and things got a little cooler.

I just hope it stays like this or improves further. I'll be smoke free 5 years March 12...and I miss the darned things everyday! I used to reward myself with a cig on a successful vocal take or guitar solo section. Sometimes my right hand still reaches for my cigs automatically...it's the weirdest thing. LOL! Thankfully, the craving passes in 15 seconds. But man, if they ever came out with a cig that was actually safe, I'd start right up. I just liked to smoke. Stupid, I know. Anyway...thanks again. You guys are all so cool!!! :D

I'm late to the party, but incredible job.

I always knew you ripped on guitar but the vocals are really stunning. You made this your own while still giving a tip of the hat to Ian Gillian that not many can do.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use on the bass? You really nailed that 80's Glover tone.

I'm late to the party, but incredible job.

I always knew you ripped on guitar but the vocals are really stunning. You made this your own while still giving a tip of the hat to Ian Gillian that not many can do.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use on the bass? You really nailed that 80's Glover tone.

Thanks dr....much appreciated! The bass is actually an old Ibanez 5 string SDGR that had beat strings on it. A friend gave me a tip to loosen the strings and pull and pop them about 20 times each. This, unbelievably (try it, it's incredible) made them sound almost new again. From there, I ran it through a bass POD with a preset I made using Amp 360 with effects on bypass. The little charcoal colored kidney bean type. It works really well for bass as long as you kill the 4k hiss that automatically comes out of it. LOL! I've since created an awesome bass patch on my AX8 that I'm using on my new album at the moment. I couldn't be happier...it's one of the best bass sounds I've ever gotten. Glad you liked this, thanks again!

@2112 I have 3 friends in Perth...two are guitarists. Would you happen to know Ross Pearson or Mark Evans? I also am friends with a girl named Kathy Edwards...has a daughter Briahna? Figured I'd ask. They're like 30's to 40's in age. :)

@2112 I have 3 friends in Perth...two are guitarists. Would you happen to know Ross Pearson or Mark Evans? I also am friends with a girl named Kathy Edwards...has a daughter Briahna? Figured I'd ask. They're like 30's to 40's in age. :)

I know a Rod Pearson who plays guitar really well and I'm aware of Mark. Small world!

I know a Rod Pearson who plays guitar really well and I'm aware of Mark. Small world!

I had a feeling you'd know at least one person! Hahaha! Mark the exercise guy, right? Good dude, sings like an 80's vocal god, plays guitar well too...or at least he used to. :) Small world indeed.

Oh man I've just seen this as I don't spend so much time on the forums these days.

Danny, what can I say that hasn't already been said, you are such a talented guitarist AND singer, I don't mind admitting I'm in awe!! But mostly I'm so impressed that you kicked the smoking habit, I keep trying and one day I hope to succeed. Well done man.

Oh man I've just seen this as I don't spend so much time on the forums these days.

Danny, what can I say that hasn't already been said, you are such a talented guitarist AND singer, I don't mind admitting I'm in awe!! But mostly I'm so impressed that you kicked the smoking habit, I keep trying and one day I hope to succeed. Well done man.

Thank you so much! :D Really appreciate the kindness brother.

Mind if I share some.quit smoking stuff with you?

Smoking....it's simple to quit if you really think about it. Quick story that may make you think a little.

I get a call from my bud one day. He tells me he had some pain throughout his body. Like muscle pulled. He finds out he's stage 4 lung cancer and he may have a month to live.

I go see him at the hospital. He tells me "dude, I look up at my wife everyday and kids and apologize for being so selfish about quitting. I have no reset button. I will not grow old with my wife, see how my kids turn out.....I will not see my grandkids, I will not see how my business ends up that I've been busting ass at for over 20 years. It's over for me!"

After a good cry together, I left and thought about everything on my drive home. It all made sense to me. Then I thought....man, I've been smoking 34 years. I've known poison in my body longer than not.

I thought about looking my fiance in the eyes and apologizing for my selfishness or sitting in a bed fighting to breathe due to my own stupidity.

I thought long and hard about it and then tried to hold my breath just to see how many seconds I could do. About a minute without coughing.....I should be able to do better. I said a prayer to Jesus asking Him to never let me smoke again, and I never smoked again. I'm no religious fanatic. I pray and know where I came from....I'll leave it at that.

I get a call that my friend died 3 days later. He was 46, the same age as me. Think about it. Who dies of lung cancer at 46? Old people 60 plus die of that, right? Wrong! They die earlier too and those that last longer do damage that happens later down the road.

Kick it now man. Don't wait for something to give you a sign before you quit. By then there may be no turning back. Lastly, here are things to think about besides what I've shared.

Would you pay a man that knocked on your door $10 to take a month off of your life every day? I know you wouldn't....but you actually are. And you're actually driving to him to do it! Scary ain't it? You're part of our population control.

Next, any time you want a cig, type in "the effects of smoking" on YouTube. If that doesn't make you stop, I don't know what will. And remember...if God forbid you check out of here, the ones you leave behind suffer. It's just a bad situation....not to mention an expensive and horrible way to die.

I've saved about $14,600 since I quit smoking. You can do it....just say it's over and buy some carrots to smoke for a while. :) I hope some of this makes you think at the least. Good luck and thanks again for the kindness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom