Per Nilsson tone match for Nili Brosh's "Matter of Perception"

bonewax21

So a few days ago i asked for some help in duplicating per nilssons tone on this particular song. After many failed attempts at matching his tone from youtube videos i feel i have it now. It took a while to figure out how to get his sound but after seeing some youtube interviews he had made it clear that holdsworth was his main inspiration and he held him in high regard. I had recently downloaded daryl gabels holdsworth patch and thought maybe i could make some progress with getting per's tone. I was not disappointed and with a few tweaks here and there i realized that his tone is based largely on holdsworth's sound as well. I added some reverb which is very subtle in the video but he also said he used phaser which it must be so subtle you cant discern it from the rest of the effects. I just want to say that this tone/sound is VERY diverse. A few adjustments and you have holdsworths tone and a few more and you have a solid eric johnson sound. I have searched for a sound like this for a long time and for me this will definitely be my go-to preset from now on. Feel free to mess with the delay and reverb to get the sound you want. Any questions just let me know.

Here's the preset

Attachments

• pernilsson.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 77
Per is such a great player, very versatile.

Scene 2 is best, excellent tone.
I changed the amp for "Recto1 Org Vntg" and think this sounds slighly better.

Thank you for this preset.

Per is such a great player, very versatile.

Scene 2 is best, excellent tone.
I changed the amp for "Recto1 Org Vntg" and think this sounds slighly better.

Thank you for this preset.
I'll have to check out scene 2. Thanks for the feedback

Thank you mr bonewax21! Could you please export the TM to a cab file? I sold my Axe II and bought a III... Fractool can’t export it.

Well on the Axe, the ”EXPORT page of the Tone Match edit menu allows you to select alocation, rename, and store the resulting file” the manual says... then export the syx to the computer. Then you can import the file to a cab block, and maybe mix with another cab. :)

Finally got it working on the Axe III. I used cablab to import it. I got to say it sounds amazing!! Great job bonewax21!!

@ebbot Oh, thanks for the info. The cab works well, thanks :) I can't wait to hear the new firmware, from what I've been told there are some noticeable improvements on the amp side.

@eayottes Good that the cab works, I think that cab is the closest yet for a Holdsworth/Nilsson tone. Works great for Eric Johnson lead tones too. If I remember right the preset uses a 50 watt Marshall, and I think the conversion with fractool don’t work 100% so you should experiment with various amps. Yes Cliff has been busy with Cygnus, sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom