People, who I can pay to make a set of presets?

Jono Bacon

Inspired
Hi, All,

I want to put together a set of Axe FX III presets for upcoming album and I am happy to pay someone to put them together for me. Does anyone have any recommendations for people who do this?

Specifically, I am looking for the guitar sound Nevermore use on their Dead Heart In a Dead World record. I want to get both the rhythm and lead tones (with the lead tones incorporating the wah). I don't want these tone matched, I would like these as full presets so I can later tune them if needed.

I play in Drop A and would sent over some dry recorded tones so the person can match it to my guitars (I use different guitars for recording rhythm and leads).

Also, happy to receive DMs if some of you reading this do this.

Specifically, I am looking for the guitar sound Nevermore use on their Dead Heart In a Dead World record. I want to get both the rhythm and lead tones (with the lead tones incorporating the wah). I don't want these tone matched, I would like these as full presets so I can later tune them if needed.
Remeber: what you hear on an album can be layers upon layers of things. A single preset might not cover it.

If I were in your shoes I'd hire someone to show me the programming ins and outs. Give a man a fish kinda thing

Yes indeed. I would like someone to ideally build the preset and then hop on a Skype call (which I would pay extra for) to show me how they out it together.

Remeber: what you hear on an album can be layers upon layers of things. A single preset might not cover it

Oh, for sure. I just want to get the strongest possible base sound. This is why I feel I need to hire an expert.

Dead heart in a dead world is all Recto. Try Recto 1 Red with a V30 IR and a T808 boost and quad track it. That should get you close pretty quickly.

You're much better off spending time twisting a few knobs and hearing it in the track with your guitar than spending time and money having presets made IMO. Are you producing/engineering/mixing it yourself or working with someone else?

Follow Leon’s advice. You can do it yourself. No one hears the tone in your head better than you. ... and As stated above, Cooper Carter’s course is well worth the money. Teach yourself to fish....

Watch some of Leon's @2112 videos and you will learn how to tweak real quick.
Also remember anyone creating presets for you would have to use the same setup you have right down to the guitar and gear. Otherwise you will pay all that money and still have to tweak a lot. For example I create a preset for my PRS Custom 22 and it sounds like crap playing my Fender Strat. Every preset I have ever downloaded sounded different, until I tweaked at least the EQ.

the only way to get the tone fairly perfect is to use your DI soundfiles and construct a rig based on what the actual artist used in the studio then tonematch or use IR's and EQ's to get you there. for the most part i use stock cabs and tweak by ear, but most people want a custom IR to feel like they paid for something. you can use tonematch to make an IR then tweak to taste.

Dead heart in a dead world is all Recto. Try Recto 1 Red with a V30 IR and a T808 boost and quad track it. That should get you close pretty quickly.

Thanks for this, pal. I started playing around and I am indeed getting pretty close to the tone I want to get to. The tricky balance for me is that I want the low end grind of that Nevermore sound but I also want an Marshall'esque bite when playing some of the more rocky parts in my songs. I wonder if I can somehow blend these two sounds, so when I am playing the higher bits (like a regular D chord) it takes on a more AC/DC style sound, but for the low-end chugging, it sounds more like that Recto sound. Any suggestions here?

Thanks for this, pal. I started playing around and I am indeed getting pretty close to the tone I want to get to. The tricky balance for me is that I want the low end grind of that Nevermore sound but I also want an Marshall'esque bite when playing some of the more rocky parts in my songs. I wonder if I can somehow blend these two sounds, so when I am playing the higher bits (like a regular D chord) it takes on a more AC/DC style sound, but for the low-end chugging, it sounds more like that Recto sound. Any suggestions here?

You can try blending two amps, choosing another model (Spawn Nitrous, FAS Modern, Solo 100 Lead and Cornfed are all great Recto alternatives) or layering multiple tracks with different amps and automating them in the mix.

This thread made me want to go back and listen to those old Nevermore records and they inspired me to record a quick clip with Recto 1, the Grinder boost and a greenback mix IR I made. It's a quick demo riff with rough levels and no post processing but it should give you an idea of how that model sounds quad tracked.

Watch Leons videos and write your own. Once you get a few things down it gets easier and easier.
Start with an amp and cab, treat it like a real amp and use only the authentic controls. The vast array of additional parameters need time for you to learn the effect. But like anything start from the beginning and then you will understand it all properly. Axe is as complicated or as easy as you want it to be.

i agree with Leon, either mix some amps together or better yet find another amp that gives you the tone you want. sounds like you are wanting a little something original instead of an exact copy of someone's tone. you can do some things like pick an amp that feels the way you like and then tonematch or tweak until it sounds the way you want it to. that's what i did. i actually tweaked the BE amp settings until it felt more like a plexi with some other changes that i wanted also. try the preset i attached for an example of what i'm talking about. the IR was actually made from a tonematch i did of the two IR's i was using plus the two eq's after them. one IR sums up the tone without eating as much cpu or taking up as much space on the grid. i like it simple.

Attachments

• Singtall Recording Rig.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Singtall IR.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 10
Though he has not been around here much lately, I know that @Danny Danzi has done custom presets for willing customers. But you probably just got the best possible advice from Leon above, as @2112 has clearly established himself as the current generation’s online Fractal guru/oracle, with good reason. ;)

@bradlake Thanks for the mention and for remembering me! :) I am still around lurking, but I don't have an Axe III.

Back
Top Bottom