People that make you an offer on gear you have for sale and then vanish

bikertrash

Inspired
In the Hell holes that are Facebook Marketplace and Cragslist, have you guys ever had somebody make you and offer on something, you accept, and then they just vanish? I just don't get that. Is it a game of some sorts? I think they just want to see how low you will go and then panic when you accept. It happens to me constantly. I live near Nashville and you'd think it's some kind of gear paradise, but frankly in my 8 years here, I think it really sucks. It's the same regurgitated crap top-posted day after day with people never dropping their prices to try to move said crap. I try to price my stuff a little low to move it. I'm not interested in sitting on something for a year to get an extra $25 out it.

TL;DR Why do people make offers that you accept and then disspear?

Years ago, this would happen to me every single f*cking time I sold anything on eBay. It was especially bad when selling guitar amps. A buyer would win an auction, and that would be the last I ever heard from them. I usually had to list an amp at least 3 times due to this.

I haven’t used eBay in years. I got tired of that crap.

I've definitely noticed this way more with guitar gear than anything else. Synths are the best, usually when people contact me about synth gear they will usually agree to buy right there and be done with it. Studio gear is little bit more haggly, but guitar stuff by far has the highest number of flakes and tire kickers. I'm trying to sell a couple of RGs right now and I frequently get messages on Facebook that are just like "Heyyy mannn,.. sweeeet axe! I don't have the money for it right now, but maybe some day!!". Like.. I'm glad you're enthused about my guitars, but if you're not gonna buy it don't waste my time.

I've been lucky on the prepay sites like Reverb and Ebay. I was on Ebay constantly from 2001 up to probably 2017. I just got tired or the fees and shipping costs especially with amps.
I think most of people that are out there looking mainly want to trade, which is fine. But generally, no, I'm not interested in trading my '78 Marshall for your bass boat.

The worst are the clowns that your coordinate a price with, when they arrive they pull the old "I could only pull this much from the ATM" scam. I've had to get rid of a few of those.

Yea, probably a bunch of bored doofs who get off on d!cking people around as much as they can and never intending to buy. At least on Reverb and Ebay there's actual transactions being recorded, but CL or Marketplace there's no regulation at all.

In the Hell holes that are Facebook Marketplace and Cragslist, have you guys ever had somebody make you and offer on something, you accept, and then they just vanish? I just don't get that. Is it a game of some sorts? I think they just want to see how low you will go and then panic when you accept. It happens to me constantly. I live near Nashville and you'd think it's some kind of gear paradise, but frankly in my 8 years here, I think it really sucks. It's the same regurgitated crap top-posted day after day with people never dropping their prices to try to move said crap. I try to price my stuff a little low to move it. I'm not interested in sitting on something for a year to get an extra $25 out it.

Happens a lot to me. ....................A**holes for sure. Should at least respond and say I changed my mind..........................

Yup, every single time. I always ask them how serious they are and if I accept, when they would do the deal. They always disappear after that.

Same in Europe; the number of "mythos" is enormous. In my case it mostly finishes with the most idiot kind of excuses for not having been able to gather the money.
But lately it also happens for announces when you search musicians, the most screaming cases are female singers. Whenever I read in an answer .."....oh so great, absolutely want to sing in yer band..." "....this music is what I wanted to sing for years..." you know right away nothing will come out of it.
It pushes me back from the web more and more...but how do else; all music facilities where you can meet other musicians have been closed for one year since yesterday.

YUP!!! And almost as bad is... My listing: "for sale Green Guitar." First person responding... "What color is it?"

Yep, My vintage Vox AC50 has "sold" 3 times to people 2 states away. I brought it out with me and crickets each time. I also had the situation where we've agreed on a price and when I brought the gear 2 states away (after verifying the sale was still on 2 days prior) they all of a sudden couldn't complete the sale. Thankfully, I was going on vacation so they weren't wasted trips, but still VERY annoying!

Flip side, I just had 2 people look at my gear and say, " you were asking $xxx, here you go". You never know.

Why do people make posts here asking for help and then disappear? :D

sometimes they want your gear, but find something else after they’ve agreed and never let you know. It happens all the time.

I guess the main thing I need to pound into my head is, quit buying stuff I don't need. I swear, I'm not buying anything else :rolleyes: The last thing I really wanted after my FX3 was a FC-12 which, thanks to a mysterious B-stock sale and St. Patties day stimulus is on the way.

Back
Top Bottom