People Falling Into Your Pedal Board

bread

Power User

Pub gigs eh ?

It all started when this lady decided it would be a good idea to just buy bottles of Prosecco at the bar instead of individual glasses and waiting about 15 to 20 minutes to get served at the bar.

Over she came... a middle aged lady dancing towards her friends who were at the front of the stage, approaching me with her wobbly high heels, sparkly black dress, curled hair, big grin and singing the wrong words. She was a lot worse for wear at this stage, and I could tell as she bent over in a "glorious arc" putting down the bottle of prosecco in front of me so she could join in with her half cut friends.

Unbeknown to her ...

We use two Chauvet fog jets, positioned on the floor in front of the sage (which is only about a foot high), one in front of me, one in front of the keyboard player. The front of house engineer was oblivious to this as the pub was rammed and from the back of the pub you can't see past the first 5 or six rows...

Anyway...

The song was Walk This Way (the 1975 version from Toys in the Attic with the words from the Run DMC version) and we were just about to hit the first chorus. As the lady put down her Prosecco bottle, she happened to put her face directly above the fog jet (within about a foot I'd say) and as the "glorious arc" of the lady bending over reached its final wobbly position, off went the fog jets, blowing her hair right back, cheeks wobbling and stunned as she reeled back with the bottle of Prosecco in hand. In the panic she turned round and fell backwards, planting her ass on my pedal board, which went ...

Preset Up +
Scene 4 selected
Lehle Switcher On
Wah Off
Volume Off
Polytune On

As I helped the lady get up (as the band was singing Walk This Waaay ironically), it took me a good minute or so to process what was going on and joined in on the second solo section.

No Prosecco was spilled.

Classic! All in all I would say your board fared pretty well! Sounds like it could have been worse at least she didn't break anything on the board, must have had a really cushy tush Ha! :p.

oh yes.......pre fractal I had a board that was tremendous. We called it boardzilla. Hard case, biggest temple audio board, RJM PBC (the big one) and maybe 12-13 pedals on it. Professionally wired by RJM. When I say this board set me back 7 grand it may be an understatement.

Gig one night in a bar, PA speakers on sticks. 2 drunks get into a fight. One drunk shoved the other into the speaker. I look down and the damn drunk is laying on my board. The speaker clocked my wife (our singer) in the head and she looked like she went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson. Spent all night in the ER.

meta%3AeyJzcmNCdWNrZXQiOiJiemdsZmlsZXMifQ%3D%3D.jpg

I've never had any bad experiences with my stuff from someone in the audience*, but one time I had one of those cupholders on my mic stand with a full beer in it, and the guy playing keyboards decided mid-song he wanted to sing backup vocals. So he grabbed my mic stand and in the process dumped my beer all over his keyboard. We just looked at each other when it happened, kinda shrugged and said 'it is what it is', and kept going. :grinning:

*one time after a set, I had my pedalboard (AX8 and EV-1) ready to get packed up, and a woman came by to say how much she liked our band. Elevated stage, maybe 4ft, so my pedalboard was near her eye level as I'm running around coiling cables. She pointed to a pick on my pedal board and asked if she could have it for her collection, sure, no problem lady, glad you enjoyed it. Didn't realize she had just grabbed one of my Red Bear picks (around $30 and not easy to get). Won't let that one happen again... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom