Pentatonic Arpeggios?

This is cool. I have been trying some things with Pentatonics learning from Brett Garsed also.

Is that a ES-339 guitar in the video he is playing? It has great jazz tones in it. I think it might be a ES-335

EDIT: looks like from his gear page on his site, he plays Gibson ES-333 and ES-345. Very cool, thanks for sharing this!

Last edited:
This book also has a lot of that stuff. I haven't done much in that one yet (it's the fourth in his series) but I have worked quite a bit in the other three, and he covered some of those wide pentatonic ideas already in the first three books. All his books are a ton of work.

Edit: Okay, Amazon link not working. Tim Quinn, Fluid Soloing Book 4.
1653510600938.png

Skip every other string in his examples and normal pentatonic shapes for some wildly different and exotic sounding licks. Usually, 2 or 3 strings is enough, especially when playing them fast.

Paul Gilbert's string skipping arpeggios got me thinking and trying scale shapes with that technique decades (ugh) ago, and still working on it occasionally.

He thinks it’s more awkward but…I play these type ideas awkwardly then. :) …in that the notes do not need to be stretched. Mike Stern did some of thiis movement the ”awkward“ way too in some of his youtube videos and suspended exercises. For example in the exercises above simply shift a fourth to the next string, which again he describes. BUT, it is a great exercise!

Last edited:
@unix-guy …you stink… :) I got through the entire video but I needed to split it first into the “awkward” method,
I did this because I wanted to see it in the sandbox I play in. It’s always good to learn new ideas and I like the sound of it, so thanks.

Having said all this his approach opens new possibilities I should consider. My goodness his technique is excellent!

Back
Top Bottom