Pedalboard wireless units

Sixstring

Legend!
So while waiting for an Ax8 let's talk about this type of wireless unit. I know the Line 6 units G30, G50 have been pretty popular for the pedalboard guys and I know a few guys are going to run the new Shure GLXD series which looks really nice but is at the top of the price range for a stomp box looking type of wireless.

Are there any other worth looking at in this range ? I have been really happy with my Sennheiser ew100 G2 for the past 10 years but limited space on my board will keep me from using a half rack style transmitter which looks kind of funky anyway.

What says the forum?

Some don't like Line 6 G30/50/ et rest, some (like me) think they work fine for the little use I need a wireless for. I've had zero problems with my G30, then again I've maybe only needed it for about 30+ gigs. I prefer a cable of many reasons if possible *).

*) Sound quality, reliability, no worries about batteries and so on.

The newer L6 G70 is pretty snazzy. Multiple "scenes" to select a transmitter pack channel and one (or more) of the 3 outputs. It's a good solution for switching electric to amp/Axe and acoustic to a DI. Plus a tuner out and an onboard tuner.

The pack is also heavier duty and boxier than the old G30/G50 packs.

The newer L6 G70 is pretty snazzy. Multiple "scenes" to select a transmitter pack channel and one (or more) of the 3 outputs. It's a good solution for switching electric to amp/Axe and acoustic to a DI. Plus a tuner out and an onboard tuner.

The pack is also heavier duty and boxier than the old G30/G50 packs.

The one thing I do like about the Line6 unit's are the body pack cables. Just a standard 1/4 at both ends is really nice if you happen to lose or break it.

i also recommend the L6 G70 been using it for about 6 months with out any problems you can even use it as a boost.
U can buy additional body packs for your other guitars using the same receiver.

the same as the ones in Line 6 G50 or G90.
On the shure you can use a different plug that lock the cable on the body pack transmitter but the ones on the Line6 G50/G90 works well.
I still have a G90 here. Sold my G50 for the GLXD16 and soon will replace the G90 for a GLXD14

I had the Line 6 G50, and while I never had any true problems with it, it died on the road and I was forced to pick up a Shure GLXD as a replacement. I've been VERY pleased with the Shure, and will be sticking to that one from now one. Battery life is stellar, and it seems pretty darn road worthy. (so far).

I know people knock the G30 because it is low end device...and it does have a couple issues (plastic battery door and belt clip), however, I have been using it for quite a while with no real problems to speak of....and it sounds great. I gig pretty regularly so it has had a ton of use. The only time it flaked out on me was at a particular venue I could not keep connected...however, neither could the wireless lights, and behringer X32 to the ipad...weird.

So for little money I would say the G30 is an okay option.

G30 here. Sounds exactly like a cable and zero problems over 2 years and many live shows.
Best bang for buck wireless out there.

Shure GLXD16. Best wireless ever. Also had the Line6 G30 for some years. The Shure plays in a different league.

Can confirm, the Shure one is FAR superior in every way. I have a G30, it's built like a childs toy.

The GLXD is amazing. 16 hour battery. REALLY. Rechargeable, ALL METAL (transmitter/receiver) Zero dropouts. look it up, there's not been a wireless this good for the price ever made. Built in tuner is even great.

I went back through some of the older threads and found the WIC system in a thread that budda007 posted. Looks pretty small which is nice, not too sure about the rechargeable internal battery deal but what a real estate saver. The Shure system is getting a lot of love and probably rightfully so I'm tying to stay with my current board dimms so I need to make other things on the board as compact as I can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom