Pedalboard for AxeFX II and MFC - good Idea?

maracox

Hi everybody,

I try to find the best case/rack Solution for my new axefx 2 and soon to have MFC. I came up with the following Idea: take a large flat pedalboard case turned sideways, put the MFC first and the axefx behind (maybe also turned sideways), all attached via velcro.

Pros:
- One Piece Solution
- cabling better integrated
- less setup Time
- integrating further pedals for the fx loop is easy

cons:
- no easy access to axefx's front panel
- more floor estate necessary
- not airplane friendly
- possible value loss due to velcro

According to my preferences the pros outweight the cons. But maybe I forgot something important. It seems Nobody dös it this way. What do You think/advice?

Hi everybody,

I try to find the best case/rack Solution for my new axefx 2 and soon to have MFC. I came up with the following Idea: take a large flat pedalboard case turned sideways, put the MFC first and the axefx behind (maybe also turned sideways), all attached via velcro.

Pros:
- One Piece Solution
- cabling better integrated
- less setup Time
- integrating further pedals for the fx loop is easy

cons:
- no easy access to axefx's front panel
- more floor estate necessary
- not airplane friendly
- possible value loss due to velcro

According to my preferences the pros outweight the cons. But maybe I forgot something important. It seems Nobody dös it this way. What do You think/advice?

... :eek:

Sounds like a very bad idea to me. Getting a professional quality, dedicated rack case for the Axe Fx is absolutely essential. You've just spent over two grand on an electronic device, don't skimp out on protecting it for money and convenience. Plugging in 5 or 6 connections doesn't take any longer than five minutes for a setup. I would say that I need to eventually invest in protection for the MFC because mine isn't very old and already dinged up pretty badly. I haven't heard any comments on the durability of the inside and outside of it as far as it losing functionality though.

Check post 430 on Don's case/board probably the best case for an all in one that I have seen yet. Down side is this type of solution is pricy, weighs a lot so the dolly is a must have. The other is the SKB PS 100 set up but is hard to dig up a little cumbersome but does work and is heavy as well, I know I had one for quite a wile Standard, Ultra, and the II. The II doesn't not fit all the way in to the PS 100 so you have to keep that in mind if you look in that direction.

Here's what I use for the MFC and two Mission expression pedals. It works very nicely. The top couple rows of switches on the MFC-101 poke holes into the foam on the underside of the lid, which threw me off a little at first, aesthetically, but it keeps the MFC very stationary in transport, even if I hadn't put a good amount of velcro on the bottom of the MFC (included with the Diago board).

Diago Hardcase Pedalboards | Guitar Pedal Board | Effects Pedalboard | Bass Pedalboards | diago.co.uk | Pedalboards | Products

pb_slide_3.jpg

I believe the one I have is a 24" model (useable space - I just measured the outside of the case, and it's about 26.5"). Here is the actual product name from the Amazon invoice. Definitely find it on Amazon or elsewhere, not the manufacturer, as I was able to get it for about 1/2 price and brand new.

Diago Showman Pedal Board/Case, 12-16 Pedals (DIAShowman)
Sold by Warehouse Deals, Inc
$78.58

And here is a nice 4-space rack that I use for the AxeII, a Decimator Pro Rack G noise suppressor, and Line 6 G90 wireless. Works really nicely, and leaves some room in back to store some wound up cables.

DV016_Jpg_Large_545863.jpg

Gator G-Tour 4U ATA Rack Flight Case | Musician's Friend

Last edited:
Why not just get an SKB PS-100?

They're too shallow to house the AFII. There's a user on here who used one with an Ultra and it worked and then he did a standoff mod to get the II to work and IIRC he couldn't get the lid on it. Pity, because it really is a slick idea.

Here's the link to my modified SKB PS-100 project:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-routing/62656-skb-ps-100-mod.html

Still using it!!!

A bit bulky but dang super quick setup!! I play 4 - 5 nights a week! At a couple venues a few of the standing patrons at the bar do have to clear an area for me to roll this thing thru but otherwise no issues at all!

I do have another case project i'm doing and is really going to be nice! I'm combining two cases into one and if will be a bit more compact.....will roll on wheels and "flip up" and lock for use and exposing the MFC101.

One part of the case is the Gator G-Tour 3U ATA Rack Flight Case for the AxeII, Furman Powerport and the Line 6 G55 Wireless unit.

How about contacting skb and tell them that the axe2 doesn't quite fit in it? Maybe they can do something?

I believe SKB quit making that case back in the early 90's. There was an Axe user that used to post here on the forum that works for SKB and we talked about the PS-100 a few times. He said he wondered if the mold was still around.

They're too shallow to house the AFII. There's a user on here who used one with an Ultra and it worked and then he did a standoff mod to get the II to work and IIRC he couldn't get the lid on it. Pity, because it really is a slick idea.

There were a total of 3 maybe 4 of them on the forum as far as I know, the latest one being reclavea's incarnation. It is a slick idea for an all in one case! to get the II to fit all I had to do was to flip the rack ears upside over and that gave it enough room inside for cables to be hooked up. It did stick out and I had to give up the lid as I didn't feel like cutting it up to mod it the way reclavea did.

Truth be told the setup I have now is much lighter and easer to transport and access wile setup. There are 2 additional pieces, the stand and the pedalboard box both very light but worth it. For me the PS-100 just became too heavy and cumbersome to haul around, that combined with now way to cover it is what made me look at the more conventional option that I'm using now.​

Back
Top Bottom