1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Pedal?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by APE, May 11, 2018.

1. APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

How can I easily switch settings in the Axe-FX? I have Axe FX II and the Ax-8.

Ax-8 seemed lilke a good buy for busking, but I found that not only was it heavy, but it lacks essential features like headphone jack and USB. Ax-8 is slow and has very limited processing power. Even for someone with relatively light effects usage, I find myself bumping up against the limitations of Ax-8. I paid Moke a few hundred bucks, too, and he helped, but I"m still overwhelmed by the complexity and limited flexibility.

So Ax-8 is collecting dust while I am back at the Axe-FX II. I've always had a huge amount of trouble coordinating the Behringer foot pedal with the II. What is a better set up for patch and scene switches? I like Moke's way of having a tune and then scenes for sections.

For example, for Purple Haze, I want to have a main rhythm scene and then have a solo scene using an octave harmonizer and some flanger. I'd like to have that saved to a preset and then triggered by the pedal. But I can never remember how to do it using Behringer. I also remember scene switching required a special hack to get it to work.

Purple haze
    SC1 — Rhythm
    SC4 — Solo

What is the best way to do it?

2. APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'm pretty sure a lot of other people are using pedals. What can easily work with the II? Or do I need to upgrade to III?

3. APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Is this forum dead?

Joero6 likes this.
  4. reclavea

reclavea
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I feel the exact opposite with regard to the AX8. It’s incredible you find this so with limited effects needs.

I suggest delving into the forums first and get a good grasp of “how tos”, tips and tricks ...etc

And of course RTFM

JayCM800XL likes this.
  5. Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

The vague title may be to blame?

The foot-switch integration is awesome on the AX8. (much easier to manage than the Axe-Fx II). At least when using the editor.

Go to the 'Foot-Switches' page, right click on any switch, pick what you want to be there from the drop-down menu, and you're done. You can even 'drag-n-drop' effects from the grid, right to the switches. And each preset can have a completely different switch setup. Only put in what you need.

One preset can have just 2 scene switches. the next one can have 4 scenes on the bottom row, and 4 different effect 'on/off' switches on the top row (and 1 or more of those could be setup as a momentary switch?).

You can put one of the 2 'Control Switches' on one of the foot-switches, and attach that Control Switch controller to 4 or 5 or more effect bypass switches, and/or multiple parameters across multiple blocks, each with their own start, mid, end, damping, etc... settings.

6. APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

So I should replace my ax fx with ax 8?

ax8 audio output —> focusrite

I thought instead to buy a foot pedal for Ax FX. Maybe naught needed …

7. APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

How do I downvote this post? And mute the poster?

8. #8 APE, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Now I remember the problem with the AX8. Limited to one cab.

I wanted to do Last in Line. for that, I need 2 cabs. One cab is for the clean sound using Moke Acoustic emulator. The second cab is for the dirty sound. So I couldn’t use the ax8 for that because ax8 is limited to one cab.

I need some sort of a foot switch to trigger the Sound change to turn off one cabinet and turn on another I don’t know how else I would do the switch from those two sounds.

Aide: I actually need to learn how to practice playing and using a footpedal to switch sounds in time. I know that it is difficult to get the timing right because I have use FCB 1010 before and there was some trick to getting the timing right. The sound switching is not instantaneous (although it was pretty fast).

There’s a bunch of stuff I want to do that switches between clean sound and dirty sound. Damn Yankees, Pink Floyd, Van Halen. And Megadeth.

9. Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Totally up to you.. I was just pointing out the foot-switch advantages with the AX8. The Axe-Fx II has many, many different advantages over the AX8, setting up the foot-switches is just not one of them.

10. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

What does the focusrite have to do with the discussion?

If you don't want to be bothered with figuring out (and remembering) the FCB1010, get an MFC-101. Problem solved...

In any case, there is programming and knowledge required.

11. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Use X/Y switching on the cab block...

Joero6 likes this.
  12. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

What are you asking here?

13. #13 Moke, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Sounds like the Axe-Fx II is what you should stick with. You just need a more advanced foot controller. But there will be a learning curve there. The MFC-101 integrates easier than a 3rd party controller. But there still is some manual reading and programming for your specific needs, and it's almost the same size as the AX8..:confused:... Other, smaller, lighter controllers will require even more manual reading and programming.

reclavea likes this.
  14. APE

APE
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

From what I remember, this didn’t solve that problem. To get a clean sound, the cab goes before one of the amps.

15. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Are you sure about that?

16. reclavea

reclavea
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I think he’s inquiring a way to “unlike” my post. I think he took my post as condescending maybe, ...not intended as condescending....but after reading my post again ...it may have an air of it.

Now a cab before amp? :-0

Joero6 and unix-guy like this.
  17. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

A cab goes after an amp... Just like the real world.

Joero6 likes this.
  18. Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Not always......
    acoustic sim grid.png

I think that he is using part of this preset (as a clean scene) combined with blocks from another preset. Probably doable with a single stereo cab and some routing, but a bit tricky in the AX8?

APE likes this.
  19. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Cuz why? Tone match?

20. Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Yep. Electric to Acoustic tone match, then into the Tube-Pre Amp model. Tried every combination, and that worked best.