Pedal to reproduce Van Halen's Balance effect?

GreatGreen

Power User
When I want to embiggen my sound a bit without the swirling effect of chorus or the phasing issues of a 1-2 ms hard panned delay if my signal gets collapsed to mono, my go-to trick is the old Van Halen Balance effect. I use a pitch block after the amp and set hard left to -8 ct and hard right to +8 ct, then set the mix around 15-20% or so. Sounds fantastic and just subtle enough not to be a big cheesy caricature of a guitar effect.

So anyway, I'm building a B-rig and was wondering if there are any pedals out there that can reproduce this effect, a stereo "widening" pedal that still sounds good if collapsed to mono. The closest thing I can think of is the TC Electronic Mimiq pedal. It isn't exactly a duplicate of the Axe-Fx's pitch block, but it accomplishes a similar effect for what I'm after.

What do you guys think? Are there any real world pedals out there that do what I'm looking for?

When I want to embiggen my sound a bit without the swirling effect of chorus or the phasing issues of a 1-2 ms hard panned delay if my signal gets collapsed to mono, my go-to trick is the old Van Halen Balance effect. I use a pitch block after the amp and set hard left to -8 ct and hard right to +8 ct, then set the mix around 15-20% or so. Sounds fantastic and just subtle enough not to be a big cheesy caricature of a guitar effect.

So anyway, I'm building a B-rig and was wondering if there are any pedals out there that can reproduce this effect, a stereo "widening" pedal that still sounds good if collapsed to mono. The closest thing I can think of is the TC Electronic Mimiq pedal. It isn't exactly a duplicate of the Axe-Fx's pitch block, but it accomplishes a similar effect for what I'm after.

What do you guys think? Are there any real world pedals out there that do what I'm looking for?
Keeley 30ms does the detune thing.

Eventide H9 or Pitchfactor will do the H3000/H910 style stuff too. the H9 is one pedal i haven't been able to bring myself to sell since getting a Fractal.

Back
Top Bottom