Pedal Sweep - best pot resistance?

Kidmag

Hi All - I'm going to purchase a new pedal for use with my incoming FM3. I really like the small size and feel of the Ernie Ball Jr. which you have the option of purchasing with a 25K, 250k, or 500K pot. Do you know which resistance would function the best with the FM3?

Thank you!

Ok - sorry I should have checked the manual first. I found it.

" Expression pedals should have a linear resistance taper and must have a maximum resistance in the range of 10–100kΩ "

Just my 2-cents, not that you asked for it....
I have a VP-Junior and the one thing I do not like about it is you can't adjust the resistance of the pedal (the physical resistance, not the pot resistance). Over time the pedal got too floppy for me. I have one of the Dunlop DVP4 mini pedals, which is quite compact and can be adjusted. Same with the Mission pedals I am using with my FM3. Or just go with the EV pedals from Fractal, they are excellent.

Hi Robberns, thanks for the thoughts. I have a EV-1, and its great, but the thing weighs a ton and has a bigger footprint than the VP Jr. Ideally with my switch from the AX8 to the FM3 I want to get the size and weight of my pedal board down to fitting into my smaller pedal case.

I have two Ernie Ball VPjr pedals. I swapped the pots with Honeywell 20k linear pots. They work great and have a nice smooth feel, but I've had to replace the strings in both already. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely go with EV-2's instead.

Aren't the VPs just volume pedals, i.e. would need a Y (insert) cable for use as an expression pedal? I also think the pots in them are logarithmic, where you'd really want a linear pot.

I like the little dunlop pedals where space is at a premium.

If you use them stock, yes an insert adapter is needed. I rewired mine each with a linear pot and a single TRS jack.

I used the Y cable with no issues with the VP Jr. - but I primarily use it for gain / volume adjustment. I think I remember not being totally happy with the sweep for whammy or wah, but I rarely use those effects. When my original AX8 board got stolen, I bought the EV-1 with my new AX8. It's great and I expect it will outlive me it is so well built, but man is thing big and heavy.

Back
Top Bottom