Pedal Power Question

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I'm planning on using a Kenton Thru-5 midi thru box to connect the Axefx with a bunch of other midi devices. I'm trying to figure out if the Kenton Thru-5 can be powered with a Voodoo Labs pedal power brick. The Kenton Thru-5 needs 9vDC @ 50mA (2.1 mm center positive connection). Most of the pedal power bricks cover 9vDC at 100mA. Would they safely power this device?

Thanks!

The most crucial parameters to check are polarity, voltage and AC/DC: if they don't exactly match, you will likely fry the device.

On the other hand, the current indication on the device is a maximum: in your example, your device in normal use will need up to 50mA. So you need to power it with at least 50mA to cover all cases. So a 100mA power brick will do fine.

If your device is center-positive, be careful. But IIRC, the Voodoo Lab is sold with a special cable for this case.

Guys,

I'm planning on using a Kenton Thru-5 midi thru box to connect the Axefx with a bunch of other midi devices. I'm trying to figure out if the Kenton Thru-5 can be powered with a Voodoo Labs pedal power brick. The Kenton Thru-5 needs 9vDC @ 50mA (2.1 mm center positive connection). Most of the pedal power bricks cover 9vDC at 100mA. Would they safely power this device?

Thanks!

99% of pedals are CENTER NEGATIVE
Voodoo Labs, and others make a polarity switching cable to attach it-

You can always go ABOVE the mA on a device- it only takes what it needs.

I wanted to also mention
Most pedals take about lets say 50mA's
Some Strymon/Eventide can need up to 500mA's

Something interesting I should mention- Zvex pedals, like the fuzz factory only use 3-4mA's

So a 9v will last forever- and they're super amazing pedals for such little draw

Back
Top Bottom