• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Pedal Board Case Planning

RB2021

New here
So this might be a bit forward thinking, but I wanted to see what you guys are thinking for FM3 pedal boards. I'm most curious about Velcro and alternatives because I would prefer not to put permanent adhesive to the bottom of my unit. My DigiTech stomp boxes get Velcro but a $1000 Fractal unit? Hmm.... Is that what everyone does for Ax8/FC6/FC12 or are there other ways to secure these items? It will likely sit on my desk and be on my pedal board from time to time.

What I have currently for my analogue set up is a cheap soft case by electro harmonix. It's like a gig bag for pedals and it has served my needs well. The nice thing about this bag is the soft interior and padded top which I think would protect these units well for jam night or light gigging. I've been measuring and I think in terms of width, it could hold the FM3 plus an FC6, but no expression pedals after that. I would like to have 1-2 expression pedals.

In terms of depth it might be tight. Unless your cables are unplugged or angled, they would be exposed to damaging pressure when the bag is carried by the handles. The weight of the units ends up being on top of the cables. It's already a tight fit with the modeler being 9.2 inches and the bag being 11.5ish I do think things will just fit but I would not add stress to the situation as the cables will barely make it with the bag closed.

I'm thinking the simplest solution for where I am now is to put the FM3 and the FC6 in my current board/bag with no Velcro or accessories and get a second different kind of bag for expression pedals and all my cables. Two bags, a guitar, and a pair of powered PA speakers and I'm ready to rock and roll. I just have to wire it all up each time which is simple enough. Power, Faslink, Instrument, speakers, & expression pedals.

I did a lot of thinking out loud here and it helped me start a plan for my first fractal venture. I'd love to heard what you all are planning for your FM3 rigs.

Last edited:

Kamil Kisiel

Veteran
Personally I don't see the issue of putting velcro on it, even if it costs $1000. It's a tool, not a decorative piece. It's going to get scuffed up from being stepped on anyway.

RB2021

New here
Personally I don't see the issue of putting velcro on it, even if it costs $1000. It's a tool, not a decorative piece. It's going to get scuffed up from being stepped on anyway.
That's a good point. If it comes to it I will probably end up velcroing it eventually. I have a few gripes I suppose. I have an old hand me down Vox wah that has velcro on the back and I'm having trouble IDing exactly what it is. I know it's not a priceless piece of gear but a 90s replica of something they sold millions of. Still it irks me for some reason that I can't read the label. I'd pay less for gear like that on the second hand market. It also means that the velcro hooks will make it slide around my desk rather than sit cleanly on rubber feet. That's my beef. I was hoping maybe someone around here had a better solution but maybe not.

ksandvik

Veteran
I don't know how it holds with heavier equipment but one trick to avoid tearing the bottom is to use painter's tape between the velcro and the pedal.

dpeterson

Fractal Fanatic
Velcro comes off. My rjm gt16 is Velcro’d down as was my liquidfoots and axes fx1 before it.

RB2021

New here
I don't know how it holds with heavier equipment but one trick to avoid tearing the bottom is to use painter's tape between the velcro and the pedal.
That's pretty smart! I will try that before committing Velcro to the thing. Exactly what I was looking for.

Velcro comes off. My rjm gt16 is Velcro’d down as was my liquidfoots and axes fx1 before it.
In most situations sure, but I am skeptical because velcro can come with a range of different adhesives depending on what brand you have. A hairdryer can get most glues off of most surfaces but it isn't always pretty.

JoKeR III

Inspired
I have velcro on the bottom of my FX8 and AX8, will do the same with the FC6 and FM3 when I get them. I buy gear to play, not to worry about what velcro is going to it and somehow affect the resale value. I don't abuse my gear but don't obsess over it either.

ethomas1013

Forum Addict
I also had velcro on the bottom of my FX8 and then the AX8. When I sold those, it came right off with no indication that it was ever there.

I wouldn't trust painters tape between the velcro and the FM3. That can leave a residue too and is not strong enough, IMO.

I'm currently using velcro for my FC6 and will be using velcro for the FM3.

I plan on putting blue painter's tape on the bottom of the FM3, then velcro on top of that. It stays locked to the board, but can easily peel off without leaving residue on the bottom. I've done this with my Strymons in the past and it works great

bo13bo

Inspired
I’ve used dual lock. 4-6 small square pieces. And once removed it’s like it was never there.
Gotta be careful with dual lock, I once put some on the bottom of my strymons and had to use a screwdriver to pry them off! You don’t need much haha.

Top Bottom