Pedal assign help

adrenachrone

Hello all,

Pretty new to the forums. Had my Axe-FX 2 XL for over a year now and only now getting to AxeEdit and all the other goodness. I'm trying to get an external pedal to control a pitch block so that i can use it to toggle down a half step.

I have the Boss FS-6 hooked up to the back of the Axe-Fx and was able to "learn" the pedal in the IO screen under Pitch 1 (default seemed to be CC 77 and now reflects pedal 1)

The preset I am trying has pitch 1 added as a block (not configured for a proper half step yet but it does has some settings on it) but when I toggle the pedal on and off, nothing happens.

Obviously missing a setting somewhere. Any insight would e greatly appreciated... oh, forgot to mention that i'm using the latest quantum firmware. Thanks!

With the pedal connected to the axe you need to assign it to one of the 12 external controllers. I never tried the learn thing so not sure what happened when you say it learnt the pedal under pitch1?.

Check out page 144 of the manual and then set up external controller 1 to respond to your pedal by cycling through the options until it says pedal1 or pedal2 depending on which Jack you.used.

Then go to your pitch block and assign its bypass mode to external controller 1. Page 136 of the manual

Hello all,

Pretty new to the forums. Had my Axe-FX 2 XL for over a year now and only now getting to AxeEdit and all the other goodness. I'm trying to get an external pedal to control a pitch block so that i can use it to toggle down a half step.

I have the Boss FS-6 hooked up to the back of the Axe-Fx and was able to "learn" the pedal in the IO screen under Pitch 1 (default seemed to be CC 77 and now reflects pedal 1)

The preset I am trying has pitch 1 added as a block (not configured for a proper half step yet but it does has some settings on it) but when I toggle the pedal on and off, nothing happens.

Obviously missing a setting somewhere. Any insight would e greatly appreciated... oh, forgot to mention that i'm using the latest quantum firmware. Thanks!

Have you changed the pedal type from continuous to latching or momentary in the I/O menu -> pedal page?

With the pedal connected to the axe you need to assign it to one of the 12 external controllers. I never tried the learn thing so not sure what happened when you say it learnt the pedal under pitch1?.

Check out page 144 of the manual and then set up external controller 1 to respond to your pedal by cycling through the options until it says pedal1 or pedal2 depending on which Jack you.used.

Then go to your pitch block and assign its bypass mode to external controller 1. Page 136 of the manual

If you assign a controller to the bypass mode it will only change the bypass mode but not bypass the block.
For bypassing the block you need to assign the pedal to the corresponding cc#, which default is 77 for pitch 1.

If you assign a controller to the bypass mode it will only change the bypass mode but not bypass the block.
For bypassing the block you need to assign the pedal to the corresponding cc#, which default is 77 for pitch 1.

I'm not sure you are right on either count but I could be wrong.

In terms of using cc#71, indeed that will by pass a block if you send a midi message from an external device but he's not doing that. (on my axe cc#71 is defaulted to paraeq1 bypass, cc#77 is pitch1 but no matter)

The op is using a pedal in the rear jack and I still think he needs to link this to an external controller and then control the bypass of the pitch block with that same controller as I said.

you are right about setting up the pedal to be either continuous, momentary or latching see pg154 of the manual

I'm not sure you are right on either count but I could be wrong.

In terms of using cc#71, indeed that will by pass a block if you send a midi message from an external device but he's not doing that. (on my axe cc#71 is defaulted to paraeq1 bypass, cc#77 is pitch1 but no matter)

The op is using a pedal in the rear jack and I still think he needs to link this to an external controller and then control the bypass of the pitch block with that same controller as I said.

you are right about setting up the pedal to be either continuous, momentary or latching see pg154 of the manual
I wrote cc77 for pitch1 and it works with the pedal in the rear jack. A controller on the bypass mode parameter does only switch the bypass modes thru, mute fx out, mute out....

I wrote cc77 for pitch1 and it works with the pedal in the rear jack. A controller on the bypass mode parameter does only switch the bypass modes thru, mute fx out, mute out....
my bad you both said #77. not sure where I read #71 :)

I have never thought to try it the way you suggest so was wrong to suggest you're wrong. I wouldn't choose to do it that way because associating the pedal to an external controller then allows you to easily control several blocks using a single pedal without having to reassign all their specific cc#s. In the next patch you might want the pedal to switch the drive on and off maybe?

When I assign a control to the modifier under the byp mode on my axe it switches the effect on or off. No idea how you get it to change the bypass mode from say thu to mute.

Hey thanks for the info guys.

@Hubertus: I hadn't swapped to latching on the pedal screen. The FS-6 has a manual button on it so I assumed that was all i needed. Thx for the help!

@Bigtim: on the pedal screen you can scroll down to whatever you want to control...in this case "Pitch 1" and it has an assignment (#77 by default) ..if you hit enter on it, it enters "Learning" mode and waits for you to tap your pedal. If communication is successful, it detects that you have something connected to Pedal 1 and assigns it in place of CC 77. Ironically, that is outlined on page 144 of the manual. :) That said, you got me thinking... my FS-6 controller has 2 pedals. It would be great to have it control 2 settings on the 2nd pedal. I am programming pedal 1 to down tune a half step using Pitch 1 block, I would love to have Pedal 2 control a volume boost and activate delay so I could use it for solos. Not sure how you would do that though... the CTRL screen lists the ext ctrl 1 - 12 and I can assign pedal 2 to multiple of those, but how do you tell it what each of those does?

A controller on the bypass mode parameter does only switch the bypass modes thru, mute fx out, mute out....

Actually, attaching a modifier to what is labeled "Bypass Mode" is for bypassing the block. The available values are "ON" and "OFF"; it does not allow for remote controllable selection of the various bypass modes (Thru, Mute FX Out, etc).

I have never thought to try it the way you suggest so was wrong to suggest you're wrong. I wouldn't choose to do it that way because associating the pedal to an external controller then allows you to easily control several blocks using a single pedal without having to reassign all their specific cc#s. In the next patch you might want the pedal to switch the drive on and off maybe?

When I assign a control to the modifier under the byp mode on my axe it switches the effect on or off. No idea how you get it to change the bypass mode from say thu to mute.
Actually, attaching a modifier to what is labeled "Bypass Mode" is for bypassing the block. The available values are "ON" and "OFF"; it does not allow for remote controllable selection of the various bypass modes (Thru, Mute FX Out, etc).

Cool. You're right. I stand corrected.

Hey thanks for the info guys.

@Hubertus: I hadn't swapped to latching on the pedal screen. The FS-6 has a manual button on it so I assumed that was all i needed. Thx for the help!

@Bigtim: on the pedal screen you can scroll down to whatever you want to control...in this case "Pitch 1" and it has an assignment (#77 by default) ..if you hit enter on it, it enters "Learning" mode and waits for you to tap your pedal. If communication is successful, it detects that you have something connected to Pedal 1 and assigns it in place of CC 77. Ironically, that is outlined on page 144 of the manual. :) That said, you got me thinking... my FS-6 controller has 2 pedals. It would be great to have it control 2 settings on the 2nd pedal. I am programming pedal 1 to down tune a half step using Pitch 1 block, I would love to have Pedal 2 control a volume boost and activate delay so I could use it for solos. Not sure how you would do that though... the CTRL screen lists the ext ctrl 1 - 12 and I can assign pedal 2 to multiple of those, but how do you tell it what each of those does?
You have an xl+ right? so sure you can use both pedals on the FS6.

The way I would do it is don't worry about the learn mode thing. Simply plug the FS6 using two cables into the two pedal ports (or one splitter cable). Set pedal 1 to be external control 1 and pedal 2 to external control 2.

In any preset thereafter, you can use either pedal to affect any one or more controllable parameters. eg pedal 1 controls the pitch block bypass, pedal 2 controls well anything :)

Next preset pedal 1 could control something totally different and so on......

Last edited:
You have an xl+ right? so sure you can use both pedals on the FS6.

The way I would do it is don't worry about the learn mode thing. Simply plug the FS6 using two cables into the two pedal ports (or one splitter cable). Set pedal 1 to be external control 1 and pedal 2 to external control 2.

In any preset thereafter, you can use either pedal to affect any one or more controllable parameters. eg pedal 1 controls the pitch block bypass, pedal 2 controls well anything :)

Next preset pedal 1 could control something totally different and so on......

Bigtim: thanks for your info. I'm with you I think. So you are saying that i go to the i/o menu on the axe fx, set ext ctrl 1 to pedal 1 and ext ctrl 2 to pedal 2...... that part makes sense to me. Now, how do I define what those control at the patch level? I assume I edit a patch in axe edit, and there is some way to make an assignment on the blocks themselves to say "pitch 1", "delay", and "eq" are controlled by pedal 1. Where exactly in axe-edit is that part done? Sorry, i'm new to all the various menus and can't seem to find how to do that.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Bigtim: thanks for your info. I'm with you I think. So you are saying that i go to the i/o menu on the axe fx, set ext ctrl 1 to pedal 1 and ext ctrl 2 to pedal 2...... that part makes sense to me. Now, how do I define what those control at the patch level? I assume I edit a patch in axe edit, and there is some way to make an assignment on the blocks themselves to say "pitch 1", "delay", and "eq" are controlled by pedal 1. Where exactly in axe-edit is that part done? Sorry, i'm new to all the various menus and can't seem to find how to do that.

Exactly right. If you are using axe edit, as you say, its then just a case of attaching the controller to the individual effects you want to control.

upload_2017-4-7_18-39-28.png

So what you are looking for is any parameter that has the little double bracket symbol; as the bypass mode control and balance control above do.

Right click on that symbol and you get this:

upload_2017-4-7_18-41-1.png

In the source box select the external control that you assigned pedal1 or 2 to.

upload_2017-4-7_18-41-55.png

for an on/off control like bypass mode, your pedal will now turn the block on or off.

If you are using an expression pedal or even with your boss pedal, for attributes that are not on/off, you could use the min and max parameters to switch say a delay mix from low to high.

Hope that makes sense.

You do this by attaching a modifier to a parameter. Read the section of the manual that explains modifiers, then check back here with any questions.

btw pedal 1 can control as many effects as you want in this way. simply assign external control 1 to as many parameters in as many blocks as you need.

btw pedal 1 can control as many effects as you want in this way. simply assign external control 1 to as many parameters in as many blocks as you need.

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much for the screenshots and great explanation. That all makes sense to me. I'm going to have a go and let you know how I make out!

Great Post! I didn't understand the 12 controllers.. now the lightbulb is going on... HOWEVER< Now, I need to figure out what I want to control with my two momentary switches in the Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 jacks on the back of my AxeFXllXL+ .. not sure.. ha ha...

Do you guys know if I can use the (4) external momentary switches that I have plugged into the back of the MFC-101 to be controllers? (not expression pedals, but the TRS ports on the back of the MFC-101 Mklll. Reason being, I want to use them as modifiers...

Do you guys know if I can use the (4) external momentary switches that I have plugged into the back of the MFC-101 to be controllers? (not expression pedals, but the TRS ports on the back of the MFC-101 Mklll. Reason being, I want to use them as modifiers...

If I understand you correctly, I would think the answer is yes.

I use 3 of 4 pedals/continuous controllers this way; see no reason why another controller type wouldn't work as long as you make sure the MFC is set correctly (midi channel and controller values back to the AXE) to use these, then select the appropriate EXTERNAL controller # from the MODIFIER SOURCE menu in AXE EDIT.

Back
Top Bottom