Pedal Amplifier

TheloniusJ

Experienced
I did a search and didn't see anything, so I'm curious if anyone is (or has considered) using a pedal amplifier with the FM3 driving real cabs. I'm thinking of something like the Carvin Mach100 (which is a 2 X 50watt pedal amp).

I'm probably going to go the FRFR route for live performance, but have also considered something like a stereo pedal amp and two small cabs (like the BluGuitar nanocabs or something). Just curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on that.

I have 2 EHX Magnum 44 pedal amps powering 2 passive Atomic FR cabs for lower volume home playing.

Pros:
  • Cheap.
  • Seem fairly flat.
  • Can push more volume than I thought.

Cons:
  • Seem to have a high noise floor, not really bad, but not good either.
  • Past 11 o'clock (which is too loud for my needs anyway), they start to add their own distortion which would be undesireable for frfr.

I have 2 EHX Magnum 44 pedal amps powering 2 passive Atomic FR cabs for lower volume home playing.

Pros:
  • Cheap.
  • Seem fairly flat.
  • Can push more volume than I thought.

Cons:
  • Seem to have a high noise floor, not really bad, but not good either.
  • Past 11 o'clock (which is too loud for my needs anyway), they start to add their own distortion which would be undesireable for frfr.
Thanks! I appreciate the review.

Pedal power amp or pedal guitar amp?

My initial thought would be as clean and transparent as possible. I thought when using it, I'd keep the power amp sim of the FM3, but not use any cab sim.

I'm somewhat interested in something like the Temple Audio AmpMOD (I know you can turn of amp sim in it).

Awesome. Thanks.

You bet. Just remember (they’re prob all the same this way) you’ll get the maximum output using the lowest ohm cab. For example the PS170 is rated at 170 watts at 4 ohms. My Marshall cab is 8 ohms so I’m getting about 85 watts out of it which is still plenty loud for a 2 guitar rock band. But if it were a 16 ohm cab it would only be 40ish watts and that may not cut it. I think that’s why many say it’s not loud enough. They’re not considering the ohms.

Good luck!

Both I have Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and Harley Benton Thunder 99 stereo stomp box power.
Thunder 99 sounds great in stereo. Two FRFR speaker bought from Kemper have been loaded into own
hand made 112 cab. You may search enclosures inside cabinet as you like based upon your music style.
In bedroom you are able to use earphone jack on Thunder99, ice on the cake....no wrong way to go.

Both I have Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and Harley Benton Thunder 99 stereo stomp box power.
Thunder 99 sounds great in stereo. Two FRFR speaker bought from Kemper have been loaded into own
hand made 112 cab. You may search enclosures inside cabinet as you like based upon your music style.
In bedroom you are able to use earphone jack on Thunder99, ice on the cake....no wrong way to go.
Sweet. That is great to know about the Thunder99. I've seen some mixed things on that, but man, for that price!

How are you dealing with the power supply? I heard it is really big.

Sweet. That is great to know about the Thunder99. I've seen some mixed things on that, but man, for that price!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run the Thunder99 with 212 cabs in a pay-rehersal room for my FM3 as well as Axe-Fx3. My friedman ASC10 and/or
Aspen's CPS frfr are wieigh too much for my age when loading into or out of car trunk. Thunder99 saves my back well.

Back
Top Bottom