Peculiar Expression Pedal setups?

Hey guys! Was experimenting with assigning expression pedals to different parameters. What are some of your favorites aside from the obvious and why??

Here are mine:

*Volume Block after cab block controlling "Volume" parameter (a common one) to control overall volume, before delays, verbs.
*Wah Block before everything (another common one) for wah.
*Classic Whammy control in the Pitch Block, for whammy effect.
*Delay Block controlling "Master Feedback"(min 100%, max 140%) to increase and control delay oscillation.

Post yours!!

Good thread as I just added a third EV-2....... Could easily use the dedicated volume and one other for various functions based on preset.
I use dedicated volume as you described and dedicated wah.... got one more for adding a Freqout effect but have it dialed in with a switch so need some ideas!

• Tape echo feedback, delay speed, and mix (for the end of the Foreigner Starrider guitar solo)
  • Harmonizer pitch interval - pedal back, no harmony; half-down, one interval; all the way down, a different interval. I use that approach on the solos for Crazy on You and Don't Stop Believin' solos.
  • Reverb mix, time, and level (for a couple of Bad Company songs)
  • Harmonizer pitch 1 and 2 balance (back is low octave, all the way down is high octave)

I also use a couple of the expression pedal inputs with latching switches to control various patch parameters.

• Tape echo feedback, delay speed, and mix (for the end of the Foreigner Starrider guitar solo)
  • Harmonizer pitch interval - pedal back, no harmony; half-down, one interval; all the way down, a different interval. I use that approach on the solos for Crazy on You and Don't Stop Believin' solos.
  • Reverb mix, time, and level (for a couple of Bad Company songs)
  • Harmonizer pitch 1 and 2 balance (back is low octave, all the way down is high octave)

I also use a couple of the expression pedal inputs with latching switches to control various patch parameters.
Badass just heard Starrider. Gonna try some of these!!!

Lfo rate as modifier on motor speed. I will try and get a quick sample up later.

Nice! For rotary?? Never tried!

input gain for reverbs and ambient sounds to blend things in parallell
nice. is that kind of like a reverb mix control??

I use one EV-1 for volume, and another EV-1 for Wah, Talkbox(Formnt), or Kill Switch(PanTrm) emulation depending on scene.
that kill switch sounds like a great idea!

Is a single pedal able to be used for different functions in a single preset for the AxeIII? I know someone came up with a way to use it for wah and volume in the Ax8 forum. But does the AxeIII have a more obvious way? I'd love to be able to assign a footswitch that changes the function from wah to delay mix or to a volume block, etc. Or the function could change with the scene.

I run a morphing setup between two amps. So I have
Expression Pedal 1 - Morphs between the clean and dirty amps (After the wah, comp, phaser, detune etc..)
Expression Pedal 2 - Raises the volume level between 8 and 10 in the modfiers and adds a bit of feedback and volume to the delay. Solo boost basically. (After the cab block and before the mods, delays and verbs)
Expression Pedal 3 - Wah, Whammy, Oscillating time for Trem, Vibe etc...

Not peculiar, but definitely useful:

I have an expression knob on my board that's dedicated to adjusting the level of my solo boost. I plan to add another one in my rack to fine tune the output level of my piezo scene.

I reserve Channel D in most effect blocks to be "expressionable" with a single pedal. I usually tie the pedal to stuff like modulation rate/depth, delay feedback/mix (and hold/stack on some blocks), whammy, mix level of specific pitches on the harmonizer, etc. Being able to assign a modifier to just one channel is the key here.

My regular scenes are put together with Channels A-C of these blocks. These channels are generally static and do not respond to the expression pedal. When I want to control an effect, I use the FC-12 channel select function (with smart bypass). I have all of these set up on footswitch hold functions so that I'm less prone to accidentally engage two of my controllable effects at once. So the tap function of a given switch will engage an effect on whatever channel is saved in the patch. If I hold it down, I get the souped up version of that effect on Channel D.

I then just revert back to the saved version of the scene when I'm done with the effect.

I use one for Rotary speed and auto engage. Such a lovely effect... I got addicted for a while, but I can quit whenever I want. ;)

I have one tied to both Mix and Feedback in my Delay block. Easy to bring up the delay. That one also has auto engage set to turn off at 95%. That allows me to get rid of delay without a switch if needed (almost never for me - delay is pretty much an always-on).

Then I have my spring loaded Wah and what I call Whammy that really isn't Whammy but a instead brings up the mix on a +2 Octave Harmony. I can steel drum sounds, synthy things, etc with that.

I also have a preset where I've assigned one pedal to control the filter on one voice of a 2-voice Synth (the other choice had envelope assigned), and a second pedal blends from pure guitar sound to pure Synth sound.

Controlling the synth with the pedal is a lot of fun!

Is a single pedal able to be used for different functions in a single preset for the AxeIII? I know someone came up with a way to use it for wah and volume in the Ax8 forum. But does the AxeIII have a more obvious way? I'd love to be able to assign a footswitch that changes the function from wah to delay mix or to a volume block, etc. Or the function could change with the scene.

You can do that if you only activate one modulated effect at a time. I use that approach on a patch by assigning switches to turn on various effects that use the expression pedal. One switch is for the wah, and another is for pitch. When the wah switch is activated, the expression pedal controls the wah. When the pitch switch is activated, the pedal controls the pitch parameters. Just don't activate both switches at once. o_O

Back
Top Bottom