Wish Peavey Rockmaster Preamp

Shahar

Experienced
Not sure if you guys are familiar with the Peavey Rockmaster Preamp, it was a single rack space three channel all tube preamp (4 x 12ax7) that had the most ridiculous amount of gain and active eq section that was extremely flexible. I believe a similar circuit was later used in the Peavey Ultra, XXX, and JSX amps.

1636520511063.jpeg

Last edited:
Fun preamp. Using a 5150 model with an Active tonestack cops the vibe pretty closely to my ears.

Used to rock one of those Rockmasters through an original Rocktron Velocity power amp that blew ICs all the time.
Looked like this -
rocktron-velocity-300-238887.jpg

Fun preamp. Using a 5150 model with an Active tonestack cops the vibe pretty closely to my ears.
That makes total sense, it looks like it was released two years after the 5150, I’m sure there’s some overlap in the circuitry.

The Rock Master was an integral part of my FX8 test rig since before product release.

View attachment 91466

The Voodu Valve sure was a cool unit, especially the USA-made witchdoctor ones like that one. Such fond memories with that device. It was what got me started with niche gear reviews on YouTube (which I should probably get back to doing).

The Voodu Valve sure was a cool unit, especially the USA-made witchdoctor ones like that one. Such fond memories with that device. It was what got me started with niche gear reviews on YouTube (which I should probably get back to doing).
I've still got a Voodu Valve On-Line (sic).H aven't lit it up in some years, but it was actually pretty cool, with pre- and post-distortion EQs.

I'm not good a getting rid of stuff I don't use any more, really dumb.

Last edited:
Classic 90's rack:
Bent SKB rack frame? Check.
Missing light tube cover on Furman? Check.
Humfrees on everythig? Check.
Actually, the rack frame is straight and true. The case? Yeah, they sag a bit after a couple of decades of supporting 85 lbs. of stuff. And Humfrees should have been more classic than they actually were. :)

The guitarist from The Fake McCoys, a '90s Tempe band, had one. He used to call me up on their blues number on occasion to do a guest solo. Monstrous tone in that thing....

...and I tore my 90's rack apart just earlier this year... I sold my Rockmaster (which was not in that rack BTW) a few years ago, figuring I was done with it now that I'm an Axe-FX convert.

I think the remarkable thing about that preamp was the back. There were what, 5 or 6 effects loops on that thing?

I think the remarkable thing about that preamp was the back. There were what, 5 or 6 effects loops on that thing?
Five effects loops. One for each of the three channels, one loop shared by the dirty channels, and another loop shared by all three.

Last edited:
Chanel switching or loop switching? Those loop games can get dodgy. DeOxit is your friend. :)
it's been a few years since looking at it? could have been the loop, i remember it was a common issue with them and had found a source for the part (hopefully they're still available). i will eventually get back around to working on it.

Back
Top Bottom