Wish Peavey JSX 120

It was my first tube amp, as well. By itself, it had a cocked wah thing going on that I could never dial out. Part of that may have been because I was running it through a 4X12 with V30's. Live with a band it cut through extremely well.
It always sounds like that. V30s, Greenbacks, T75. Doesn't matter. It's voiced like that.

I think it's similar to the 5150

There's also a noise gate built in and a knob on the inside behind the tubes for it- it's super clean

Yeah, there’s surely some elements of the 5150 in there. Peavey was initially working with George Lynch on the XXX but he dropped off it somewhere along the way. I’d have to assume with Georgie being a Soldano guy and that EVH went from a Soldano to the 5150, a 5150 would be a good starting place for George to tweak Into the XXX. I have no clue about the specs or build, so I could totally be wrong, but it makes sense in my noggin.

Other than that they're both high gain tube amps, I've never heard anyone suggest that the 5150 and XXX have similar sounds. Most people seem to hate one or the other. Their internals are definitely not similar either. Personally, I've always regarded the XXX as a garbage amp, while the 5150 and the 6505 are some of my favorites.

On the other hand, the JSX and the XXX share nearly identical schematics.

Last edited:
Other than that they're both high gain tube amps, I've never heard anyone suggest that the 5150 and XXX have similar sounds. Most people seem to hate one or the other. Their internals are definitely not similar either. Personally, I've always regarded the XXX as a garbage amp, while the 5150 and the 6505 are some of my favorites.

On the other hand, the JSX and the XXX share nearly identical schematics.

My 5150 comment was only about the Resonance and Presence knob

I used mine with greenbacks and it cut through the mix great and I never really noticed the cocked wha thing but heard it talked about quite a bit. I do like my mids so there is that.

I own the original hand built prototype of the JSX. It was Satch's main touring and recording amp most of 2003/2004

If Cliff wants to borrow it- he can anytime.

EDIT: This amp sounds like a million bucks plus tax, unlike anything out there or that I've ever heard. I've had XXX's and JSX's, this one- is unreal.
+1

Back
Top Bottom