Wish Peavey JSX 120

AJ Vargas

Experienced
I think it's about time to make a "formal" petition for this amp, I know we already have the JVM410JS in the Axe, but the Peavey JSX is a different beast altogether. The clean channel is an excellent platform for pedals (who would've guess? ;)) and the Crunch and Ultra channels have it's own thing going on that sets this amp apart from your well-known ol' 5150 flavor. I know it can be as good for your Classic Rock crunch tones as well as most Modern Metal with searing high gain. Of course, the Lead tones is where this amp really shines.

Thanks to the Peavey Classic Amps Wish thread I found this schematic of the JSX 120 head, hope it helps.

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Peavey/Peavey-JSX20-Head-Schematic.pdf

satriani-peavey-jsx-tile.jpg

Last edited:
i had a JSX 2x12. heavy, and it slipped and i broke a knob. this amp is responsible for making me look at modeling ;) i used a Diezel and a Roadster after the JSX, but fortunately found the Axe Ultra shortly after and sold it all!

I own the original hand built prototype of the JSX. It was Satch's main touring and recording amp most of 2003/2004

If Cliff wants to borrow it- he can anytime.

EDIT: This amp sounds like a million bucks plus tax, unlike anything out there or that I've ever heard. I've had XXX's and JSX's, this one- is unreal.

Attachments

• 20797.jpeg
    20797.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 33
I own the original hand built prototype of the JSX. It was Satch's main touring and recording amp most of 2003/2004

EDIT: This amp sounds like a million bucks plus tax, unlike anything out there or that I've ever heard. I've had XXX's and JSX's, this one- is unreal.
What a perfect amp to add to Axe! Unique unobtanium that kicks!

Man, I used the XXX for years (as well as it’s little brother, the XXL) and could only imagine what the Presence and Resonance knobs do to that thing. Too cool!

Man, I used the XXX for years (as well as it’s little brother, the XXL) and could only imagine what the Presence and Resonance knobs do to that thing. Too cool!

I think it's similar to the 5150

There's also a noise gate built in and a knob on the inside behind the tubes for it- it's super clean

I recently traded for a JSX and it's so good. The ultra channel is great, but the clean and crunch, boosted or not, are incredible (to me). I'd love to have it on here!

I think it's similar to the 5150

There's also a noise gate built in and a knob on the inside behind the tubes for it- it's super clean

Yeah, there’s surely some elements of the 5150 in there. Peavey was initially working with George Lynch on the XXX but he dropped off it somewhere along the way. I’d have to assume with Georgie being a Soldano guy and that EVH went from a Soldano to the 5150, a 5150 would be a good starting place for George to tweak Into the XXX. I have no clue about the specs or build, so I could totally be wrong, but it makes sense in my noggin.

Iirc the clean and crunch is a peavey classic 100 as base, and the ultra is xxx flavour.

I put KT77's in mine, put WGS CL80's in my peavey 412, and it was cool because it was mine. That said Im not clamouring to get it modelled.

I remember reading how the clean channel stayed clean, yet my les paul studio broke it up lol.

It was my first tube amp, as well. By itself, it had a cocked wah thing going on that I could never dial out. Part of that may have been because I was running it through a 4X12 with V30's. Live with a band it cut through extremely well.

Back
Top Bottom