Wish Peavey Invective - Killer Amp!

There are even people out there saying that the Peavey 6505 is a totally different amp than the Peavey 5150 (same for 5150 mk2 and 6505+)... :rolleyes:
There are differences. The input gain network is different and the coupling cap after the second triode stage is a different value.

There are differences. The input gain network is different and the coupling cap after the second triode stage is a different value.

Interesting, I did not know that. I know both amps and they sounded always the same to me. The difference between the 5150 mark 1 and mark 2 is obvious.

I always thought the just changed the name because of copyright stuff.

This is interesting and I’m sure you’ve measured these on two amps so I’m certainly not arguing. However, I passed that along to John Fields and his reply was:

“100% false. They're the same aside from some less significant differences in a couple of runs of output transformers (which were addressed during Invective 120 development) and variations in the tubes that they shipped with. The earliest 5150s also had substandard power tube sockets. At some point we also changed the screen resistors in the power amp from 100 Ohms to 700 Ohms to account for that. That's it. Tell your friends.”

Also:

“I also changed the power amp to connect pins 1 and 8 on the 4th power tube so that no major mods would be required for EL34 operation, aside from changing a bias resistor. That fell out of the 6534 and just made sense.”

This is interesting and I’m sure you’ve measured these on two amps so I’m certainly not arguing. However, I passed that along to John Fields and his reply was:

“100% false. They're the same aside from some less significant differences in a couple of runs of output transformers (which were addressed during Invective 120 development) and variations in the tubes that they shipped with. The earliest 5150s also had substandard power tube sockets. At some point we also changed the screen resistors in the power amp from 100 Ohms to 700 Ohms to account for that. That's it. Tell your friends.”

Also:

“I also changed the power amp to connect pins 1 and 8 on the 4th power tube so that no major mods would be required for EL34 operation, aside from changing a bias resistor. That fell out of the 6534 and just made sense.”
If they are the same then why would we have models for both? The schematics are available online. You can look at them yourself and see the differences. On the 5150 C2 is 22nF. On the 6505+ that same cap (C26) is 1nF. That's just one of the differences.

Reactions: J.C
If they are the same then why would we have models for both? The schematics are available online. You can look at them yourself and see the differences. On the 5150 C2 is 22nF. On the 6505+ that same cap (C26) is 1nF. That's just one of the differences.

Any chance for the JSX??? :p

Also:

Are you talking about the 5150 vs Invective, or 5150 vs 6505?

Cliff's post was in response to a 5150 vs 6505 comparison.

More 6505/5150/+/II confusion it would seem. I was under the impression (after days of research) the 5150 and 6505 are the exact same (except they started making the 6505 in China instead of the US in 2015), but even still people are willing to pay way more for the 5150.

Funny thing is I like the 5150 Block in the Axe 3 so much I just decided to buy a real one (or a 6505), but it turns out it's the worst possible time to do so. Prices have skyrocketed over the past 6 months. Even the 6505 is out of stock everywhere and is nearly impossible to find used.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the 5150 vs Invective, or 5150 vs 6505?

Cliff's post was in response to a 5150 vs 6505 comparison.

I asked John about the 5150 vs 6505

I asked about the 5150 vs 6505, not the 6505+. I’m sure the + is different.

@FractalAudio Are you comparing 5150 to 6505, and then 5150 II to 6505+? I believe that was the intention of the original post that sparked this conversation.

I think this is what’s going on. It looks like maybe Cliff is talking about 5150 vs 6505+?

Those are definitely different. But the 6505 (non-plus) schematic should be the same as the 5150 (non-II).

And the 6505+ schematic should be the same as the 5150II.

Clearly you have not heard or played the Invective. That thing has a deeper low end than a basic 6505 as well as a more percussive and chunkier sound.
If its based on a 6505 circuit then its one on steroids as an obviously very heavily modified one. And thats prolly whats implied by any Peavey reference to it. They just probably weren't specific so as to not make the 6505 'seem' inferior in anyway so that it still sells as well.

Just saw this post. Tonally, the Invective circuit is almost identical to the 5150/6505. There’s a presence mod—that’s about it. The Master volume is buffered and if you turn it up to 10 it’s removed from the circuit.

I have an Invective and have tested it extensively against both a 5150 (block) and a 6505. I’ve also talked a lot with John Fields—the Invective’s designer—about the amp (I know your comment wasn’t directed at me so I say that just giving a reference point for my comments).

The Invective does not have more low end than the 5150/6505 in my experience or by design. In fact I have to use significantly higher resonance settings on the Invective to get the same amount of low end as those others. The percussive and chunkier feel you’re experiencing may be due to the increased presence and the fact that the presence is “in a different spot” (according to John).

Bottom line: according to John, if you turn the master volume and master boost to 10, you have a 5150 with a presence mod (obviously just talking the crunch and lead channels).

Reactions: J.C
There are even people out there saying that the Peavey 6505 is a totally different amp than the Peavey 5150 (same for 5150 mk2 and 6505+)... :rolleyes:
I always thought it was essentially a
5150 w Misha’s precision drive built in. W tight Boost Gate controls

I always thought it was essentially a
5150 w Misha’s precision drive built in. W tight Boost Gate controls

Kinda. Not quite the precision drive but accomplishes pretty much the same thing. The attack knob on the PD is what makes it special though and the amp doesn’t have that.

Back
Top Bottom