Wish Peavey Invective - Killer Amp!

RackAddict

Previous handle "Djenter"
Im,very surprised that this is not on the wishlist yet.
Adding my wish list amp pick to model: a Peavey Invective. Misha Mansoor's Signature amp.
I just had a chance to witness one in person and let me tell you that this is something special. They say its a tweaked 6505 but to me it sounds like a newly concieved circuit. Its basically the most aggressive amp ive heard and about the chunkiest sounding thing ive ever heard. Just pure controlled mayhem with massive bottom end.

Last edited:
There, figured it out. All switched. Im not sure why it even did that on first posting. I don't usually mobile post unless replying sometimes.

I own the peavey 6505 plus it rocks! With the fm3 going into it!
The 6505+ and Invective basically sound the same on the lead ch. Invective had a better clean though. Plus the Invective has a gate and boost. I think the Invective is really keyed-in towards the whole "Djent" thing and sort of a signature head providing great cleans and well djent.

I’m really surprised that it isn’t in there, considering the fact that Misha Mansoor is a dedicated Axe-Fx guy; he’s even on the Fractal Audio website.

I’m really surprised that it isn’t in there, considering the fact that Misha Mansoor is a dedicated Axe-Fx guy; he’s even on the Fractal Audio website.
There's no need. It's basically a 6505+ circuit with extras (dedicated drive/boost, noise gate, etc). I don't think it'd really be adding anything.

There's no need. It's basically a 6505+ circuit with extras (dedicated drive/boost, noise gate, etc). I don't think it'd really be adding anything.
Clearly you have not heard or played the Invective. That thing has a deeper low end than a basic 6505 as well as a more percussive and chunkier sound.
If its based on a 6505 circuit then its one on steroids as an obviously very heavily modified one. And thats prolly whats implied by any Peavey reference to it. They just probably weren't specific so as to not make the 6505 'seem' inferior in anyway so that it still sells as well.

It's a 5150.
Ok great. Then i assume I have the right Amp here that I've shaped for Invective sounding chunk and Ive attached a preset for all.

(but seems like in the clean to light crunch scenes here it will not save the state of the saturation switch).

Attachments

• Criminal.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
Not to hijack your thread or anything, but since we're on the topic of 5150's:

Any suggestions on what parameters to tweak to get closer to the FJA 5150 mods that were so famous back in the mid to late 2000's? Basically he would start with a choke mod, then offered some different voicing and gain options. Just curious.

As Cliff said, the Invective lead channel is basically just a 5150/6505 (not a 6505+). Although the circuit isn’t different, the amp has more high end presence than the OG if you have the post gain low. Most people turn the post gain up because the amp gets fizzy if you don’t.

Bottom line: the Invective lead channel is already in there.

P.S. The clean is definitely its own thing and is kinda cool but there’s probably not really a reason to model it (imo).

P.P.S. I had the invective and a 5150 block letter at the same time and a/b’d them extensively. I also discussed the amp with John Fields who designed it, so I’m not just guessing. :)

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but since we're on the topic of 5150's:

Any suggestions on what parameters to tweak to get closer to the FJA 5150 mods that were so famous back in the mid to late 2000's? Basically he would start with a choke mod, then offered some different voicing and gain options. Just curious.

Mess with negative feedback, sag, tube type, bias.

Mess with negative feedback, sag, tube type, bias.
Buttttttt which direction, Justin? And how much?Lol

It's like someone telling you how to find a treasure and saying "go to the tree line and follow it until you come across a fence post then take a left" If you initially follow the tree line the wrong way, you're not finding that treasure, especially when you don't know what you're looking for lol I've never played an FJA modded 5150, but I've certainly read glaring reviews of them through the years.

Neither have I - thats why Im saying mess with those parameters lol. I have a thread on negative bias and xformer match.

Does my preset suck?
I found the closest results with a 6160 and especially in regards to tightness. I used that because I couldn't evem find a 5150 and I thought thats what Cliff was referring to.

Ive never even heard of a 6160 and assumed fractal used the name for some proprietary reason.

Does my preset suck?
I found the closest results with a 6160 and especially in regards to tightness. I used that because I couldn't evem find a 5150 and I thought thats what Cliff was referring to.

Ive never even heard of a 6160 and assumed fractal used the name for some proprietary reason.

6160 = 5150

P.P.S. I had the invective and a 5150 block letter at the same time and a/b’d them extensively. I also discussed the amp with John Fields who designed it, so I’m not just guessing.

There are even people out there saying that the Peavey 6505 is a totally different amp than the Peavey 5150 (same for 5150 mk2 and 6505+)... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom