Peaks and Valleys - Ambient Guitar

Horganovski

Experienced
Having fun with the Axe FX combining tempo-synced tremolo and delay effects, something that's not really possible with conventional guitar pedals (they always go out of time after a while, I've tried!) .

All parts improvised in one performance using the Axe FX Looper.

Fw 18.07B, Shiver clean, Tucana for the overdrive tones (X/Y states of the same amp block).

Hope you enjoy it.

Before someone asks - It's tricky to share the preset as I have a whole bunch of pedals hooked up to my AFX - MFC, 4 expression pedals, 3 Boss footswitches and a keyboard damper pedal.. and unless you have all of those set up the same way I do the patch won't really work.

Thanks! It's a really fun effect to play with. A friend of mine and I used to try to get this working with conventional pedals before and it would always sound cool for a few seconds and then go off time :)

In the Axe I have both the Tremolo and Delay set up to follow the tempo, in this case the Tremolo is set to 1/8 note triplets and the Delay is set to 1/4 notes. There are lots of other combinations that give interesting rhythms too.

You're clipping the output somewhere, especially early on.

The trem sound is a bit 'crrr' sounding; maybe you want it like that; I typically hate tremolo, but if I were to point at an acceptable example, I'd say Vertical Horizon's Everything You Want.

Everything is audible, but the whole sounds a bit.....brown.

Thanks for checking it out guys!

Tricky to share the patch as mentioned above, here's a screencap though, the blocks that are greyed out weren't used. I have X/Y settings for the amp and reverb blocks and switch things on and off a good bit during that jam.

PeaksAndValleysPatchWewb.jpg

Re the sound clipping, yeah it was here and there, I have expression pedals hooked up to control the level out of the looper and cab blocks and I was tweaking those at the start while recording (it all went down in one take to a Tascam portable recorder connected to the XLR outs, that's what I use for riffs and quick jams like this) and thought I had brought it down enough but probably was clipping a little later on too as I got into it.
I wasn't going for perfect sound here really, I was experimenting, having fun and was happy with the vibe I captured which is why I shared it.

I love Tremolo though, always have. I like the more mechanical settings where it becomes almost like a slicer effect on a synth, I'm not so interested in trying to ape the more vintage sound like the ones on an old Fender amp. I like it as an effect that's pretty in your face rather than being subtle.

Last edited:
I love Tremolo though, always have. I like the more mechanical settings where it becomes almost like a slicer effect on a synth, I'm not so interested in trying to ape the more vintage sound like the ones on an old Fender amp. I like it as an effect that's pretty in your face rather than being subtle.

You knew what you were doing. Good.

Back
Top Bottom