PCM 42 & TC 1210

rrhoads17

Inspired
How can I get the PCM 42 delay tone and the TC 1210 chorus sound in the FM3? I don't really know much about the PCM 42 tone, other than it is considered the holy grail of delay along with the 2290.

Most delay "tone" is going to come from general "type", the EQ and possibly the modulation.

I would suspect you want to start with a Stereo Digital type and go from there.

I have no experience with either of these units so can't say for sure.

Checking the manual can often provide details. Here's the one for the PCM42:

https://lexiconpro.com/en/product_documents/pcm42_ownerspdf

This unit has multiple effects (after a quick scan of the manual), so your question is also kind of undefined. What effect from the unit specifically are you trying emulate?

I don’t recall “the“ PCM42 thing. It’s been a few years since I used them. I would try the Digital/Analog Stereo delay blocks for starters. Adjust the time and feedback to your liking. Then mess with modulation rate and depth. Then with EQ(Low/High cut and band 1/2). Similarly the TC1210. Start with a flange block with the Analog stereo/Deluxe Mystery. Adjust rate, depth and feedback. Then mess around with LFO phase. Add a chorus block and adjust rate, depth and tone to your desired tone. There was never a specific “it” to these devices. They just had a quality to them that was pleasing in comparison to other devices of the time.

The FM3 is more than capable of creating similar effects. Better IMO.

Don’t chase the tones of the past. Enjoy creating your tone of today.

that PCM42 thing is in its input stage / preamp / limiter which makes it very unique sounding. with lots of a/b'ing, analysing and the use of multiple blocks you may come close (good luck with the modulation section). otherwise just forget about it.

same goes for the 1210. nothing sounds quite like the real thing...

Back
Top Bottom