Pay for YouTube?

I don’t. I have been using it for learning a bunch of AC/DC guitar solos lately, and then I get many ads for “beginner” guitar lessons! I've been playing guitar for 42 years, but the algorithm hasn’t figured that out!

Do you folks pay for YouTube?

So far, we don't. I do watch a fair amount of stuff there, but:
a) I just mute the ads and wait em out, but they give my wife conniptions.
b) We already pay for Netflix, Prime, and Spotify, not to mention FiOS. I don't mind all that, kinda, but I don't want these ongoing monthly expenses to just expand infinitely.
c) Seems like there are way more ads this season, and if we buy the pay service in response to that, it just encourages them to ad-bomb everyone.

Thoughts?

Yes I do. I'm using the service so why wouldn't I?
If one has objections against YouTube, don't use it.

Do you folks pay for YouTube?
Yes. For the price, it allows me to avoid having to see the stupid ads constantly. Something I usually don't think about. Then I head to my dad's place. They don't have it. It makes it barely tolerable to watch when I'm there. With the subscription, I also get their music service though. Which is kind of nice.

A majority of the things I watch are on YouTube. I hardly touch my HBO Max/Netflix/Hulu accounts but there's an infinite amount of quality content on YouTube. I can't go back to having ads.

YT, like most other sm platforms, and most traditional TV/Radio also, only exists in current forms due to ad revenue, or the possibility of it. We may not like the ads, but they are the engine that's driven our economies and livelihoods for decades, and is a big part of why people can do what people can do: from travel to entertainment to sports to every product anyone owns in a lifetime - advertising is at the center. Gotta chuckle at the idea that someone can live unaffected by advertising - not possible imo - advertising works, distasteful as it is. Same ole same ole since the advertising engine really took off in the 50s: Check this one - talk about ad saturated content lol!

Last edited:
I don’t pay and if I can’t skip the ad after 6 seconds I don’t watch it.
I wait out that initial intrusion, but then they interrupt again, over and over, in the middle of words even. That's what makes my wife refuse to be in the room.

Reactions: MSS
It has gotten worse over time, and probably will. The ads in the middle of a song never used
to be a thing. That's what pushed me over the edge. $12 is a small price to pay to NOT have
to endure the endless interruptions.

I've used adblock for years and see no reason to quit.

I don't watch influencers videos, or any other people that try to make a living from it, I use it mostly for when folks post live vids from concerts or to reminisce my own uploads.

Or like when Metallica drops a new song, video and tour announcement.

I've been using Youtube with alternative frontends for quite a while now. More precisely: with Invidious and Piped. With both I don't have ads, Piped can even skip ads baked into videos (if someone has tagged the timeframe). On my Android phone I use the apps NewPipe (uses Invidious) and LibeTube (uses Piped). That way Youtube is really enjoyable for me. Piped proxies the video by default, so you don't get a direct connection to Youtube. With Invidious you can enable this proxy. In Firefox I have the addon "privacy redirect", which can even link embedded videos to those alternative frontends and when you click on a Youtube link it translates it to a link to an alternative frontend.

Sometimes they don't work. Happens, when Youtube changes things. Watching a Youtube video is never important enough for me to be pissed about that. Just watch it the next day or when an update is being released.

I don’t subscribe to YouTube. For me, it’s not about having to pay — it’s about privacy. When you subscribe, you agree to much more intimate and detailed tracking of what you do online. That’s the real reason they want you to subscribe.

Yes, the ads get worse every year. They come up with new and clever ways to expose you to more of them. They hope you’ll give in and let them own a bigger piece of your flesh.

Yes I am. I watch a lot more content than actual tv so it makes sense. I will have to check out the youtube music, never bothered with it so far as I have apple music.

Absolutely worth the few $ to get my time back from the incessant ads, having to wait x seconds for the Skip ad button

and the targeting of the ads that clearly tells me they're using my history against me. Yeah I know it's happening, that's just the way of the world now, but I don't have to have it shoved in my face every 5 minutes. For the amount of YouTube I watch, the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm on YT more than any other platform by a very large margin.

I would gladly pay the post office a few bucks every month to keep the garbage out of my mailbox. If the advertisers can pay to put garbage in, I can throw a buck or three to keep it out.

I would gladly pay the post office a few bucks every month to keep the garbage out of my mailbox. If the advertisers can pay to put garbage in, I can throw a buck or three to keep it out.
What a game, eh? Advertisers pay you to throw up their ads. Users pay you to keep the ads away. You just sit in the middle and collect money. It’s like being an arms dealer selling to both sides of a conflict.

What a game, eh? Advertisers pay you to throw up their ads. Users pay you to keep the ads away. You just sit in the middle and collect money. It’s like being an arms dealer selling to both sides of a conflict.
Thuthy truth.

Back
Top Bottom