Pay for YouTube?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Do you folks pay for YouTube?

So far, we don't. I do watch a fair amount of stuff there, but:
a) I just mute the ads and wait em out, but they give my wife conniptions.
b) We already pay for Netflix, Prime, and Spotify, not to mention FiOS. I don't mind all that, kinda, but I don't want these ongoing monthly expenses to just expand infinitely.
c) Seems like there are way more ads this season, and if we buy the pay service in response to that, it just encourages them to ad-bomb everyone.

Thoughts?

I pay for "add-free". I put that in quotes because you still have to sit through or forward past the in-video add most creators include to pay for the video. I know adds are necessary, but I hate them.

Last Beato for instance was just ridiculous, so many ads.

Are you saying those would still be there if we paid for "ad-free"?

Last Beato for instance was just ridiculous, so many ads.

Are you saying those would still be there if we paid for "ad-free"?
He means what the person in the video mentions as the sponsor of the video and talks about that company for a minute during the video.

Video creation on YouTube has become so dumb in order to be paid anything worthwhile to make good, informative content. I’ve personally turned down pretty substantial offers which would waste viewers time on learning the axe with some other brand of whatever would pay me to make a mention for 60 seconds.

In many cases, people make a video that doesn’t even make sense or provide any actual information just to get the sponsorship and get paid. It’s usually posing a situation, providing obvious opposing views, no opinion of their own, then asking for comments. The question is polarizing, the comments make the video do better on YouTube which means more views which means more ads run, including the in-video ad from the creator, and everyone except the creator makes more money and the viewers learn nothing and potentially get in a fight on the internet and ruin their days.

It’s abysmal. Kinda why I stopped making videos for a bit. It used to be about creativity and sharing knowledge, but has turned into cranking out as many videos as possible to keep your sponsorships, ruining the entire experience.

Do they have it for Roku? ;)

I wish. I've thought about paying for YouTube premium because I'm so spoiled not having ads in Chrome.

At least on TV and Radio, shows are structured around having commercial breaks. They don't just cut in randomly on the show mid scene. It's pretty jarring sometimes and quite annoying.

Last edited:
I pay the $11.99 for YouTube Premium which also includes YouTube music. Life is short. And I watch YouTube way more than cable or any of the other streaming services. I love watching guitar channels and finding awesome music video playlists. My Ragdoll cats love the commercial-free bird and squirrel videos. 😉👍

No, like some, I just click on Skip Ad or wait it out if it's mid-view stream. My ad content is geared toward my preferences most of the time, and I don't seeing Sweetwater, or some dude hyping his guitar course.

If viewing YT is free (save for your ISP bill), why pay both your ISP and YT? Sheesh, that's like someone charging you extra to surf the internet (which is your ISP bill anyway).

Yes. My kids generation get most of their media via YouTube so I shell out to kill the overt ads.

If I watch video, it's mostly YT nowadays, so I do pay to miss the ads as well as keep it playing when you leave the app.

No, I don’t pay. As mentioned earlier, it seems they are ad-bombing just to force subscribing and I’m not caving in to that. I’ve had to totally unsubscribe from many channels because the content, whether by YT or the creator, has just become an ad-fest. Some types of content, such as timed follow-along rowing workouts, have become worthless since they started inserting unplanned commercials.

I fast-forward through creator sponsor ads, and skip what they’ll let me. What I have to endure, I mute, just like regular tv. It’s the price of “free” tv, always has been.

Not paying. The ads are VERY annoying but are a pretty good deterrent for keeping my kids (and me) from getting sucked into the YT rabbit hole. They are already watching too much TV with other paid services, I don’t want to add another one.

I can live with the ads but it pisses me off they jack up the volume. And play them in the middle of a song sometimes.

No, I don’t pay. As mentioned earlier, it seems they are ad-bombing just to force subscribing and I’m not caving in to that. I’ve had to totally unsubscribe from many channels because the content, whether by YT or the creator, has just become an ad-fest. Some types of content, such as timed follow-along rowing workouts, have become worthless since they started inserting unplanned commercials.

I fast-forward through creator sponsor ads, and skip what they’ll let me. What I have to endure, I mute, just like regular tv. It’s the price of “free” tv, always has been.
Rick,

The ad-bombing creates a sense of urgency that viewers often fall prey to...they shell out their cash thinking the annoying ads will go away. They do, once you've subscribed. Yet, think of what this actually is: extorting money for a sense of peace.

Like many of us, we just skip the ads when we can, and twiddle our thumbs when an ad pops up midstream.

I also use a blocker but I think I recently saw an ad that was built into the vid :( (well, besides the obvious ones when it is sponsored)

[OT] When you make playlists, the damn "Continue?" popup also comes on way too often lately... I'll need a trick or a second mouse in my sofa for it...

Yes - Worth every penny
Aaaand you get YouTube music as part of the deal!! That's like their version of Spotify and I like it. Just dial up a song list and get to work in the garage :)

I concur though that the adds that creators put in are a pain in the arse, and there's no escaping them! I tend to just skip forward a minute or so which sometimes means I miss a little content, but fuck adds.

Thanks
Pauly

Do you folks pay for YouTube?

So far, we don't. I do watch a fair amount of stuff there, but:
a) I just mute the ads and wait em out, but they give my wife conniptions.
b) We already pay for Netflix, Prime, and Spotify, not to mention FiOS. I don't mind all that, kinda, but I don't want these ongoing monthly expenses to just expand infinitely.
c) Seems like there are way more ads this season, and if we buy the pay service in response to that, it just encourages them to ad-bomb everyone.

Thoughts?

I won't support TY! As for adds I just wait and click to end it for the ones that are imbedded I just have to wait them out.

I don’t, I am tempted to because the targeting of the ads is so poor it seems to be done by a retarded monkey, and I watch it a lot, to fill times like doing my dishes, but I pay many subscriptions already and the “costs like two beers a month “ is more now a costs like two boxes of beer. I just live with the ads.

For the creators that I really enjoy, I am a Patreon. That seems to me better support for them than paying Google, and I get many goodies back.

Back
Top Bottom