Paul Gilbert style patches?

Hey,

has anyone managed to pull a decent Paul Gilbert - new sound rather than old - patch from the AxeFX?

I have been playing around but am struggling a bit so if anyone has something kinda cool I'd love to hear it.

Steve.

Before V9 was out I had a nice Mr. Big-era patch using the Euro2 sim with an active tone stack. Since Euro 2 was completely remodeled, it doesn't work all too good anymore.

Anyway, from what I 've asked Paul back in a clinic I played alongside with him (he used to allow the organizers to invite 3 people to jam with him for like 5 minutes) in 2003, he was using a Laney GC30 (UK GC30) into matching cab (4x12 75W or 4x12 T75 should get you close on the Axe), a Boss DD-3 delay pedal on the loop and a green stock Ibanez TS-9 on the front for lead boosting. He's mentioned using a capacitor on the volume control to keep brightness while lowering it, and he also only lowers the guitar volume for clean and crunch.

Having played through his rig at the clinic, I can honestly tell you though that 70% of the sound comes out of Paul's hands. I didn't get anywhere close to the tone he was getting with HIS guitar and HIS rig.

Personally, I'm more into his ADA tone, but will give a try on coming up with a modern Gilbert patch for you.

Best,

Alex

Hey that would be awesome

I know he isnt using LANEY any more and has gone back to MARSHALL using the vintage modern 50w combo units and mostly HBE pedals.

Interestingly my main rig is a Bogner Uberschall and I get an incredible Gilbert like tone out of that even though its a massively different amp. I think as you say hands do a lot of the tone.

I guess I am struggling with the AFX just reading about all the IR files and everything wondering how to get the best sounds. I really have no idea how to import the IRs - people talk about LARS EDITOR but I cant seem to locate it.

Steve.

Thanks very much!

I am still new to AFX and whilst I see it has a lot of potential am still not sold on it for a recording replacement for amplifier - YET.

Hopefully with some decent forum reading I can get closer.

I understand the AFX is a very deep unit requiring time etc.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom