Patiently waiting for 9.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smilzo said:
Joker said:
If I'm not mistaken, Cliff said it's impossible for the axe fx to process a separate power and preamp...

Impossibile is not the right word for Cliff works... :lol:

He points out that:
1) he fears about reverse engeniring that could reveal fractal own sim math;
2) separate preamp and power amp is a bit of trouble.

I suspect point 2 is related to feedback and other interactive functional parameters.

I hope Cliff separate preamp type and poweramp type in the same block, with a null type (we already can disable poweramp). Would love to run my real preamps into virtual poweramp... :cool:

Here is what he said:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3979&p=39144&hilit=poweramp#p39144

"Impossible unfortunately. I can't divulge why but it has to do with advanced processing techniques." - that was a response to a query about putting an efx loop between the power and preamp section.

hippietim said:
The magic of an SLO starts with the master at 6. Of course you don't want to be anywhere near it at that volume but it sure sounds amazing.

Holy crap! I have a 50W clone of an SLO, and I don't think I've ever had that thing above 4, and that was when I was in the control room playing. I'd fear for my life with the thing on 6, and I like to play loud!

stevehollx said:
hippietim said:
The magic of an SLO starts with the master at 6. Of course you don't want to be anywhere near it at that volume but it sure sounds amazing.

Holy crap! I have a 50W clone of an SLO, and I don't think I've ever had that thing above 4, and that was when I was in the control room playing. I'd fear for my life with the thing on 6, and I like to play loud!

An SLO-100 with master at 6-7 is ok for most stages with the full band on. (Of course not speaking about small clubs/pubs)

aftec said:
stevehollx said:
hippietim said:

An SLO-100 with master at 6-7 is ok for most stages with the full band on. (Of course not speaking about small clubs/pubs)

:lol: Where are you playing, Wembley??? 6-7 is crazy loud, I've never played with anybody, or know anybody who plays that loud.

aftec said:
stevehollx said:
hippietim said:

That's what the guitarrist says, Now let's hear what the singer, drummer, bassist and tech have to say... :lol:

too_much_power said:
That's what the guitarrist says, Now let's hear what the singer, drummer, bassist and tech have to say... :lol:

This kind of volume seems to always be a symptom of the "no mids" philosophy. No mids = higher volume needed to hear yourself.

Ben J said:
Clawfinger said:
while we're at it, could you add a TC-Pre integrated preamp? The holy grail of thrash-boost. Here's the schematics.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/315378/Document/TC_PRE_ServiceManual.pdf

Yes.

Meshuggah will be very happy. :cool:

Yeah, they'd probably buy a couple of more Ultras just for the "backup". ;)

Well, I've tried their old equipment, and the main key is the DiMarzio Blaze pickups in the Ibanez Universe. Damn. :) On the other hand, the TC-Pre with it's 6,8MOhm input just glorifies the guitar somehow, even if it's a bit sensitive to loud pickups. A very good clean boost though.

javajunkie said:
Sebastian said:
I'm gonna start recording my band's demo soon and my nightmare is being midway with the tracks and the new firmware gets released.
But I can't update because it will alter the sounds (probably in a good way, like always)... uhhh :x

:lol:

So PLEASE Cliff, release it now or after my recording session! :twisted:

reamp.

When I start recording with my 8.09 patches and want to keep the sound consistend I'll have to either stay on 8.09 or
go back to 8.09 after trying out 8.10/9.00/whatever it may be called. I don't see how re-amping might help as it happens through my Ultra
with whatever firmware is installed.
BUT anyway, I was just joking, no problems here.

Thanks for the update, Cliff! Telling us about new firmware contents doesn't help with the wait, though :D

Sebastian said:
javajunkie said:
Sebastian said:
I'm gonna start recording my band's demo soon and my nightmare is being midway with the tracks and the new firmware gets released.
But I can't update because it will alter the sounds (probably in a good way, like always)... uhhh :x

reamp.

When I start recording with my 8.09 patches and want to keep the sound consistend I'll have to either stay on 8.09 or
go back to 8.09 after trying out 8.10/9.00/whatever it may be called. I don't see how re-amping might help as it happens through my Ultra
with whatever firmware is installed.
BUT anyway, I was just joking, no problems here.

Thanks for the update, Cliff! Telling us about new firmware contents doesn't help with the wait, though :D

Record dry tracks in addition to the "real" tracks.

voes said:
sampleaccurate said:
Personally I'm looking forward to the reduced or eliminated mute time and improved spillover ...

I'm embarking upon creating hundreds of cover song patches over the next few months. In anticipation of the new firmware, I'm using a common grid layout for the modules in my patches so hopefully my programs will benefit from the new muting and spillover changes. Without anything else to go on all I can do is hope I'm setting it up correctly such that my patches will be able to take advantage of the improved muting and spillover characteristics.

mortega76 said:
I too stated earlier in this thread (might be my first post) that I was especially excited about this feature as well... I mainly use 5 patches for live use and I've since copied my single patch over to my other patches (to keep the same exact grid) and adjusted all parameters accordingly in anticipation of this implementation of a quicker patch change.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has adjusted all his patches for this new improved spillover!

I wish we had a little more information on the changes that are being made so we can be certain we are indeed creating our new patches to make optimal use of the omission of the muting (or reduction of muting time).

If Fractal could issue some instructions on how to best take advantage of the new muting scheme and some guidelines for writing patches beyond what has already been posted it would help me out a lot.

Most of the tones we create can use the same layout as far as the module connections, but we change the amp type within the amp module and the parameters in all the other modules that shape the tone for each patch. Fortunately I infer from the limited amount of information that's been released that only the patches within any given song have to "match" in terms of their structure so there's still a lot of flexibility in creating unusual and unique routings. We never use the same patch in more than one song. Our average is probably 3 per song, so there are enough program locations for well over 100 songs. Our band will probably never exceed that number, and if we did we could start using existing patches, but not until.

As for the amp models, everybody keeps asking for additional new ones to be added to the new firmware release. I say let Cliff finish up with what he started and issue the new firmware ASAP so those of us who are creating patches for songs that will be played live can experiment and discover the optimal way to create our patches to minimize gap time on patch changes. That's a big thing for our band, and although the current gap time is acceptable and beats the competition, occasionally it can be noticed if the patch change occurs at just the wrong time. It's not that frequent or severe of a problem, but if it's been improved and it's working, I would request that it be released and new models added later to a subsequent firmware release.

Thanks for the opportunity to express my opinion.

Stephen Cole

Sebastian said:

Our plan for future firmware updates is to make a short recording of the processed sound of every patch and store it in a track in a multi-track audio recording program. When new firmware is released for the AXE, we will be able to quickly audition our patches using the new firmware and compare the volume and timbre of the sound to the same patches under the old firmware. Any problems can be identified quickly and easily. No need to reamp - we'll just use the same guitar and pickup that was originally used. We never run the volume or tone pots on the guitar below maximum and we always use a specific pickup for each patch so the level going into the AXE will be the same.

At least that's the plan.

Stephen Cole

tonygtr said:
:lol: Where are you playing, Wembley??? 6-7 is crazy loud, I've never played with anybody, or know anybody who plays that loud.

We are completely off with this one here. :)
Actually it's not my SLO, but a friend of mine who I have helped building his WDW rig. They do moderate venues (600-1000) usually, and he runs the SLO with a Bogner 4x12 with V30 plus Mesa 50/50 for the Wet cabs. It's not insanely loud, on stage. Going from 4-5 to 6-7 does not really change audible volume. It's not a major change in tone, but you can hear the output section working. I had the chance to run the Axe and the SLO side by side and the model is quite accurate, but the low and low mids. The SLO has a lot less and complex lows, mid-lows.

i know cliff mentioned he realized something new about tube amps in general that will be incorporated into the firmware 9 when it's released. Just wondering has it been discussed how it will effect the tone and response of the current amps, basically what is it we can expect to hear/feel when 9 comes out.

rsf1977 said:
i know cliff mentioned he realized something new about tube amps in general that will be incorporated into the firmware 9 when it's released. Just wondering has it been discussed how it will effect the tone and response of the current amps, basically what is it we can expect to hear/feel when 9 comes out.

No, don't think enough details has been revealed for such a guess to be made. Unless I've missed something.

Ah okay I know there was something posted on another forum about what was coming thought I missed it, thanks.

I updated my go-to live patches with a common grid layout. I assume not only the modules positions but also the connections between them must be the same on each, to take advantage of the next firmware ?

Here's my grid, I have a Standard, not an Ultra :
axe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom