Patches from a certain muscly, bearded guitar player

torkolort

Inspired
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/63202-version-10-00-stuff.html

Matt just got back from several days at the studio. Fortunately I was able to get my latest epiphany into the firmware literally hours before the sessions started. The engineer, who has 38 gold and platinum records to his credit, and a certain muscly, bearded guitar player, were "blown away" by the beta version of 10.00 we put on their box. According to the guitar player "Version 10.00 is mind-blowing".

The good news is that we have permission to share the presets and tone matches. As soon as V10 is ready we'll put them up on Axe-Change.

Cliff, any chance these will be available on Axe-Change soon?

I second the agreement. :)

But, as we know... presets can sound quite a bit different on another person's rig. Not saying this is JP's preset, or FAS's... just sayin'. ;)

I wasn't the original creator of the Petrucci Rhythm preset but I did modify it for FW 10 by adding the Petrucci cab IR and changing the amp settings to match a photo that JP's tech sent me from the studio.

I'm not personally a fan of the whole "delay one side for stereo enhancement" technique used in that preset but I left it in there just to keep it consistent with the original preset design.

Cool Adam thanks for all your feedback. But does that mean that we will get Petrucci presets at some point? (Not that it will help with my playing one iota....:)

Cool Adam thanks for all your feedback. But does that mean that we will get Petrucci presets at some point? (Not that it will help with my playing one iota....:)

Yeah, I was REALLY looking forward to the Petrucci patches when I heard about them. I heard they were also tone matches to his amps?

Are these on their way?

Als,o as a long time fan of Petrucci and the tones he achieves, was anyone else shocked how his impulse sounds? It sounds nothing like it should to my ears, and I'm speaking from years of experience in matching his tones. Thoughts?

New Petrucci Mix IR sounds not similar on his record with any amp. I think Axe's amp needs in correct by EQ section. I listed all his record and his sound not similar on Axe's preset. What think?

There should be presets at some point, but not this month.

Thanks Matt! Matt what's it gonna take to get you down to one of my gigs to tweak my rig? Aren't I as big as Steve Vai and Petrucci? I'm playing in Atlantic Beach Long Island tonight so if you leave jersey now you'll make it :p

I think Petrucci uses the axe fx for effects only.
4CM.
He only uses 1 preset.
No amp sim or cab sim.
You can view his only preset here, start watching this video at 10:15 Rig Rundown - Dream Theater's John Petrucci - YouTube
The video is a year and a half old now, has something changed since then?

Correct me if I am incorrect, but I believe this is what went down...

M@ went to where Petrucci is working on recording the new Dream Theater record. Impulse response was taken of Petrucci's cab and mics set up in the studio, (although the impulse sounds nothing like any Mesa cab impulse I've ever heard, in a bad way) FAS set up presets and tone matched Petrucci's amps and let John play through his Axe emulating his amp rig with firmware 10. John was like OMG! Amazing.

FAS promised Petrucci's tone matched presets with Firmware 10.

Sound accurate?

Here try this one:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - JP Scenes (1,2,3 = Rhy,Ld,Cln) - by AdamCook

3 scenes are pre-setup in the preset for rhythm, lead, and clean tones.

Also, I agree that the Petrucci V30 Mix is pretty dark but that is the way he mics his cabs. It's a two mic blend and neither mic is particularly close to the center of the cab. I compared the Petrucci V30 Mix to some IR's we captured at a previous session and they are very similar.

Awesome! Thanks a ton!

Here try this one:

Also, I agree that the Petrucci V30 Mix is pretty dark but that is the way he mics his cabs. It's a two mic blend and neither mic is particularly close to the center of the cab. I compared the Petrucci V30 Mix to some IR's we captured at a previous session and they are very similar.

Here try this one:

Thanks Adam,

Much appreciated.

As long as you guys are sure that's Petrucci's cab impulse, it must be. I was just completely shocked when I threw it on a few of my own presets made to mimic his exact micing technique with Redwirez impulses. It was the difference between night and day, night being Petrucci's cab if you get my meaning. ;)

Back
Top Bottom