1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Patchbay question

Discussion in 'Rigs and Routing' started by Tplesko, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Tplesko

Tplesko
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Hi, hopefully a simple one here - I wish to put in a simple patchbay in the back of my case so I am not always plugging in directly to the Axe III but the patch panel,so it takes the abuse. I know these can be customized but can it be as simple as putting in a small patch cable in between - for instance - the output 1 of the the axe and into a connector? Or will they Always need to be soldered?

The ones I have seen all need customer soldering. It would be excellent to get a 1’ XLR to run from the axe to tube patch panel, no soldering, and simply use the other side of the patch connector to go to the board.

Let me know if I am talking moonshine here,

Thanks,

2. vairish

vairish
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

markmurtha likes this.
  3. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

You can use pass-thru connectors.

I was given this link as a reference:

https://www.redco.com/Simple-Custom-Panel-Designer.html

The one I use with my Axe Fx II was built by VAFAM and is all soldered, and if they were still around I would have them do another for my Axe Fx III.

But once I figure out exactly what I want to do, I'll be doing one myself with pass-thru connectors.

Tplesko likes this.
  4. ug65

ug65
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

The soldering is pretty straightforward and will help reduce the weight of the case if that’s a concern. Plus you have more control over the lengths of the cables.

5. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

True, but with pass through jacks you can freely change out the type of connectors, like if you wanted xlr and then needed 1/4th it’s just 2 screws and swap it out, or if you want longer cables you go from 1 foot to 3 foot etc

Soldering is easy enough and cheaper parts wise but you are kind of stuck with the way it comes if you have someone else solder it

markmurtha and ug65 like this.
  6. ug65

ug65
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yeah I was suggesting OP soldering their own. Great skill to have and pretty easy.

7. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

The trouble with the pass-through approach is not all connection types are available in the format.

ug65 likes this.
  8. Tplesko

Tplesko
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thank you!
    you

9. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Such as?

10. ug65

ug65
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Powercon is the only I am aware of.

IMO the other biggest issue with the feedthru is the depth they require. You are likely going to use up a rack space front and back unless it’s a deep rack.

11. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

Power-Con
    7-Pin MIDI
    SPDIF Coax

dukemcrae and unix-guy like this.
  12. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Ok... None of which I need, but good to know.

13. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Trick with midi is to get just a basic female/female barrel style connector, like you’d use to join to midi cables together. Then buy an empty d-sub style jack, dremel or otherwise sand the hole a little bigger to just fit your midi plug, squirt some epoxy or hot glue etc into the gaps around it and let it dry. You’ve now got a midi pass thru style connector, and it’s a lot easier than trying to keep all the midi pins straight and soldering them. You could easily do the same with a SPDIF connector.

Powercon there is no getting around, however there are Powercon jacks that just have you insert the 3 wides from a cord, and then tighten a screw on each terminal. Basically get an extension cord, cut off the end, strip the 3 inner wires, insert into the correct terminals, and your done, again no soldering

My patch panel has XLR, 1/4th”, USB, Ethercon, Midi, and Powercon jacks and I didn’t solder a single one. Little more work than just 2 screws, but still solder free

IMG_0760.jpg

iaresee likes this.
  14. ug65

ug65
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

77D0014D-29D1-41E6-BD1D-4AD0D65AEA81.jpeg To clarify powercon is never supposed to be soldered. It’s crimped faston connectors at the patch panel and screws at the connectors.

Here is a panel that is soldered. Took about 45 min (most of which getting the tiny nuts and screws on in tight places). Soldering is really easy and straightforward. It shouldn’t scare you away from doing it if you prefer.

15. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

No >3 pin XLR either, which is a bummer.

dukemcrae and unix-guy like this.
  16. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Don't need that, either... In fact, until about a year ago, I had no idea such a beast even existed :)

17. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

What would one need 4, 5 etc pin XLR for ? I'm not entirely up to date with what the industry is doing these days, but aren't those typically used for things like lighting controllers, and not audio applications ?

dukemcrae likes this.
  18. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Has anyone ever "worn out" the jacks on a Fractal unit ? Don't get me wrong, I built a panel and I get the point of it, and to be honest, mine was largely just to fill in rack space and look cool, since I'm essentially a home player these days and don't really ever unplug anything...

That said, I'd certainly expect being able to plug in/out of the Axe jacks for years, night in/night out, and still have them work. I don't think I've ever worn out a jack on anything I've owned. As such, are these panels we all know and love really doing that much to protect our Axe's from wear and tear ?

Is a buyer down the road going to really be concerned if you plugged directly into the unit, or if you used patch bay ??

I think they can be practical in getting connections to the front, which is probably the "best" need for one, but I like the aesthetics of a "clean" front panel, so I but panels in the rear, ironically, just a few inches away from the very same jacks on the Axe itself

19. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

Mastermind uses them in place in 5-pin and 7-pin MIDI cables. More durable.

20. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

How would that then interface with the III ?