Patch Switching is Pretty Glitchy

Tones2

Experienced
Just got my FM3 today and been programming it. Sound pretty good, but certainly not that dramatically different than my AX8 - but I'm still transferring over some of my favorite patches so we'll see. The main issue I'm having is that patch switching on the FM3 is pretty terrible compared to the AX8. There a noticeable delay, and about 1 second after the new patch loads, I get a drop out of the patch and a low level burst of noise before it settles in. I've never had that on my AX8 - patch switching was smooth as silk.

Has anyone else experienced that with the FM3? Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update. Yes, I know I can use channels instead of presets, but switching presets conforms much more to the way I want to set up my workflow.

Switching will always be slow when FM3-Edit is running. On preset change it has to query the unit to reacquire the state of the preset and that causes things to get slow.

If you need fast switching, pause FM3-Edit. There's a little icon in the upper corner of the editor to do.

I'm surprised you didn't experience this with the AX8 and AX8-Edit -- it was the same behavior with that unit and the editor as well.

Using Scenes here with FM3 Edit connected pretty much 24/7, for 2 weeks.
Pretty stable .....have had a few instances when I loaded an AXEFX 3 patch that overloaded the CPU and that hung things up, requiring a restart.

Will check preset alone operation.....with FM3 Edit on pause.

Using Scenes here with FM3 Edit connected pretty much 24/7, for 2 weeks.
Pretty stable .....have had a few instances when I loaded an AXEFX 3 patch that overloaded the CPU and that hung things up, requiring a restart.

Will check preset alone operation.....with FM3 Edit on pause.
Noticing this myself. Some of my Axe III presets I transfer over overload the CPU on the FM3 and it freezes up. Glad to hear it’s not just my unit.

Switching presets is pretty slow. Scenes are a little quicker. I paused FM3-EDIT and it improved, but not much. I'm not really gigging right now, so it's not killing me. Maybe a firmware update could tighten that up.

I'm mostly concerned with the one second or so drop out AFTER the new preset loads. It's like the new preset loads and you hear it, THEN you get a one second drop out before it come back on. Pretty unacceptable in a live performance situation. I've never had ANY amp modeler / effects unit do this in my life., and I've had a lot of them.

I'm mostly concerned with the one second or so drop out AFTER the new preset loads. It's like the new preset loads and you hear it, THEN you get a one second drop out before it come back on. Pretty unacceptable in a live performance situation. I've never had ANY amp modeler / effects unit do this in my life., and I've had a lot of them.
Can you attach the presets you are having issues with?

Switching will always be slow when FM3-Edit is running. On preset change it has to query the unit to reacquire the state of the preset and that causes things to get slow.

If you need fast switching, pause FM3-Edit. There's a little icon in the upper corner of the editor to do.

I'm surprised you didn't experience this with the AX8 and AX8-Edit -- it was the same behavior with that unit and the editor as well.

Oh wait. I DID have the FM3 editor open the whole time. If I shut down the editor I do not get the one second drop out after the new patch is loaded. It still does take a while to LOAD patches however, with a noticeable pause. WAY WAY longer than the AX8. I am doing an A / B comparison with the units side by side and using similar presets the units right now, and would I say the FM3 is 2 times as slow to load with a much more noticeable gap.

Having a gap of one second is NOT normal. Something must be going on.
Even with FM3 it's very fast for me and none of the beta testers ever reported anything like what you're seeing.

Quick question: are you using Fractool?

Meanwhile, contact support and I will help you with this.

Glad I stumbled on this one....I had forgotten about this from the AX8 days. Spoiled with my Axe Fx 3. Doesn't happen on that one but paused FM3 and no glitch! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom