Patch+Scene change on IA?

fractalz

Power User
Hi- I took a brief tour of the manual and the forums but didn't turn up much on this topic.

I'm looking for pointers to set up my MFC as follows:

S1 : Patch 1 Scene 1
S2 : Patch 1 Scene 2
S3 : Patch 2 Scene 1
S4 : Patch 2 Scene 2

Thanks in advance!

Global is fine. I just need it to ignore redundant PC and have different scenes per switch.

I'll probably need less than 10 Patch/Scene combos for this show.

would it just be easier though to make 4 presets and just switch them, or the 2 presets and a scene 2 switch. the preset switch will always select scene 1, so this would need only 3 switches.

would it just be easier though to make 4 presets and just switch them, or the 2 presets and a scene 2 switch. the preset switch will always select scene 1, so this would need only 3 switches.

I really want to use scenes where I can. Lots of fast switching and I can't have gaps. I need two amps per preset so two presets ( no X/Y on the Amp block for silent switching).

I usually can do my shows in one preset but this one (American Idiot) calls for two amps at a time and two sets of amps.

Edit: preset one will have 2 scenes but preset 2 will likely have 4-5.

mfc edit will be a big help here. Are you familiar with mfc edit?

I have MFC Edit but haven't actually used it.

I guess the main question is, is it possible. If so, I can menu-dive to find the settings.

I'd be doing it now but I first have to dismantle a vocal booth that got accidentally locked to rescue my MFC. Kids...

the Ia switches will send multiple things per switch but I am not sure if you can alter what gets sent first. I my self would put the scenes 1-4 on the bottom and just program 2 preset switches, or use bank size 0 and use the up down buttons to change your presets.

the Ia switches will send multiple things per switch but I am not sure if you can alter what gets sent first. I my self would put the scenes 1-4 on the bottom and just program 2 preset switches, or use bank size 0 and use the up down buttons to change your presets.

That may be a workaround, but I want to move seamlessly between all scenes. For example, P1S2 -> P2S3

Better go fish out my MFC and start experimenting.

you also may be able to use internal IA's to load the scene you wish when stepping on a preset IA. I am pretty sure the preset change would come first this way. you would have to have more then 1 switch for each preset though.
That may be a workaround, but I want to move seamlessly between all scenes. For example, P1S2 -> P2S3

Better go fish out my MFC and start experimenting.
you can edit these features in mfc edit with out your mfc present, then you load the settings into the mfc. If you make a mfc back up first if it doesn't suit your needs you can easily reload your original settings.

Last edited:
How so? I know about the feature - how would it apply here? Still haven't taken the door off the vocal booth yet to rescue my MFC. What a fiasco - those meddling teenagers!
You program each switch to send a unique preset number. On Axe Fx, you program that preset number to the preset plus scene.

I used this before I got a midi controller that could do scenes.

I don't remember the details, it's been a couple years... But it was pretty easy.

Oh, and pretty sure you need "ignore redundant PC" set to off.

You program each switch to send a unique preset number. On Axe Fx, you program that preset number to the preset plus scene.

I used this before I got a midi controller that could do scenes.

I don't remember the details, it's been a couple years... But it was pretty easy.

Oh, and pretty sure you need "ignore redundant PC" set to off.

OK - this seems to be the best of the suggestions so far. I have it working to send a PC from the MFC and then the AxeFX is mapping it to the Preset+Scene.

I got a little excited when I saw the preset naming function in the MFC and thought I could name the virtual program changes to their function, but it seems to only display the program name from the AxeFX.

For example:

PC 000 "Clean" => Preset 1 : Scene 1
PC 001 "Crunch" => Preset 1 : Scene 2

Anyone know how to get the MFC display to show "Clean" and "Crunch" in those two cases?

I can name the IA so the names flash momentarily when the switch is pressed, but it doesn't stick.

Oh, and I "linked" IA 1-5 so they turn each other off, but I can't figure out how to get switches 8-10 to also cancel the ones below. Seems if I want more than 5 of these types of switches, they won't work in an exclusive mode.

Why not just make all individual presets? then the name will be there and no mapping with bank size of 17 all the 17 IA can switch presets with out programing, presets are very easy to move and rename with axe edit.

I would use CUSTOM MAPPING in the Axe-Fx. You may need to take the MFC-101 out of Axe-Fx mode and program the names into the MFC. Footswitches are NOT instant access (CC)... they are Preset (PC) When I did this in the rigs for Steve Vai and Megadeth we also found that you need to turn custom mapping back to NONE while working in Axe-Edit, then turn it back on for testing the pedalboard or during performance. Do some experimenting and let me know how I can help.

Why not just make all individual presets? then the name will be there and no mapping with bank size of 17 all the 17 IA can switch presets with out programing, presets are very easy to move and rename with axe edit.

Switching isn't fast enough between presets. There is a brief drop-out.

I would use CUSTOM MAPPING in the Axe-Fx. You may need to take the MFC-101 out of Axe-Fx mode and program the names into the MFC. Footswitches are NOT instant access (CC)... they are Preset (PC) When I did this in the rigs for Steve Vai and Megadeth we also found that you need to turn custom mapping back to NONE while working in Axe-Edit, then turn it back on for testing the pedalboard or during performance. Do some experimenting and let me know how I can help.

Thanks - the custom mapping part seems to be working. Here's what I've done so far:

- MFC Setup > Axe-FX Mode = NONE
- MFC Setup > TotalSync = OFF (didn't seem to matter, but just for good measure)
- IA01 > Axe-FX = NONE
- IA01 > GLOBAL = YES
- IA01 > pON = PC#000 (and so on, IA02 = PC#001, etc.)
- IA01 > pOFF = OFF (and also for the rest of them)
- IA01 > c1 = CC#OFF (didn't seem to matter, but just in case)

The behavior I have now is that I can change to my custom program numbers via pON, but the MFC displays:

- IASw0N : briefly after pressing each switch
- P000 MFC-101 : after pressing *any* of the IA switches, that is, they are all named P000

This is a MFC-101 MkIII on FW 3.08, BTW.

Thanks for your help!

Once Axe-Fx mode is set to NONE, you'll need to MANUALLY enter preset names.
Now might be a nice time to look at MFC-Edit, which allows you to type or paste them in.

Back
Top Bottom