Patch panel options.. HELP

Baxter

Wondering what is the best place/website to check out for a badass patch panel..high quality connectors, cables, lables, etc... Also since I'm a newbie.. which inputs should I prioritize for it? Any help is appreciated 😊

Wondering what is the best place/website to check out for a badass patch panel..high quality connectors, cables, lables, etc... Also since I'm a newbie.. which inputs should I prioritize for it? Any help is appreciated 😊

If you're in the US then check out Bestronics their work is really good. Get in contact with Brad he's always very helpful and they can pretty much build anything you want or need. https://btpa.com

Hope that helps!

Man... VaFam used to be THE MAN around here for that. Sadly he passed a few years ago. I know that doesn't help you, I was just taking the opportunity to pay homage. I still have my panel he built me, but honestly, I have now found the ins/outs of the III so complete that I really don't need one anymore. I have gone super light and compact these days (vs my heavy ass 10 space I used to employ).

Redco looks like a really good website for this though.
https://www.redco.com/Simple-Custom-Panel-Designer.html
** I have never ordered from them and can not vouch for their work.

That said... if you are finding yourself at home for say.. the next 3-4 weeks ... like I am.... could be a fun DYI project. They are not hard to make... just takes a little time and patience. Soldering irons are pretty cheap. Best of luck!

Oh... and +1 for Bestronics! I was trying to remember them... That is a good source that I have used in the past as well.

So which inputs should I get for a 1U panel? What would you guys prioritize? Also any suggestions on brands for connectors are welcome :) I'm still a newbie

So which inputs should I get for a 1U panel? What would you guys prioritize? Also any suggestions on brands for connectors are welcome :) I'm still a newbie

First you need to tell us what gear you have, what you plan to have, what rack are you mounting this in, and is this is going to be in your bedroom or a live gig? That's just for starters...there will be a lot of other factors and questions to be answered.

For a live rig. Right now I have it in a skb 4u shallow case with a Furman p1800 ar. Still waiting on my Shure wireless system to come in. I have the FC 12, Atomic CLR, and xitone wedge. Looking into getting another clr

For a live rig. Right now I have it in a skb 4u shallow case with a Furman p1800 ar. Still waiting on my Shure wireless system to come in. I have the FC 12, Atomic CLR, and xitone wedge. Looking into getting another clr

I'm assuming that since you posted the question on this forum that you have a Fractal unit? Which one?

Axe fx 3 with the FC 12

With an Axe FX III and the Furman you're already out of rack space. You're wireless and patch panel will have to be either mounted in another rack or you need to upgrade to a larger rack that will accommodate all your gear. It IS possible to get a 1U patch panel that is really short and can mounted on the backside of your rack as long as you have the depth to mount it. As already stated by Paulg2uk, Best-Tronics are able to build them however you want them (see link below). So you're wireless system will need to sit on top of your rack box, or get a bigger box, and you need to determine how you want to run your cables between your AXFX and the monitors. That will determine how you want the patch panel set up. Just a thought...1/4" patch cable from wireless to an input on your patch panel then back side of patch panel to input 2 on AXFX. XLR cable from the FC-12 to patch panel then back side of patch panel to FASLINK on AXFX. XLR patch cables from output 1 & 2 from AXFX to patch panel then the outputs from patch panel to Atomic and Xitone. Output 3 from AXFX to patch panel and then to FOH.

https://btpa.com/Patch-Panels/

Last edited:
I knew I'd have to get another rack case for the wireless, the panel, etc.. just didn't know what most are using for their layouts on the panel.

I knew I'd have to get another rack case for the wireless, the panel, etc.. just didn't know what most are using for their layouts on the panel.

Is yours a shallow or deep rack? You can most likely mount the patch panel on the rear behind the Furman because they are typically only about 12" deep. Patch panels by Best-Tronics are about 2" deep. No big deal just sitting your wireless on top of the rack.

It's a shallow..but the Furman is the p1800 ar and barely fits anyway..

I've got the same Furman...its a good one. ;) So I would buy another 2U rack box that matches the one you have and just sit it on top of your existing rack with your wireless/Furman and put your patch panel with the AXFX in your 4U. On a side note...I'm sure you already know this but FOH TYPICALLY uses XLR female plugs to connect to your rig so for your output 3 from the AXFX, make sure the patch panel point is an XLR male.

Is output 3 what everyone uses for FOH? I didn't know if they used outout 1 or if it matters lol. I've always used amps/half stacks and relied on others to mic it and do their thing.. so I'm new to all this. I know some of my questions may seem basic but I gotta start somewhere haha

Back
Top Bottom