Patch Management?

Birdy5150

Another query, from the new guy. I havent bought the AX8 yet, its coming and I have learnt so much to help me with this decision on these threads. I think I have a good understanding of the actual patches and how they are put together, but how are they managed?

Can I set the patches up in banks, such as clean - rhythym - lead etc? If I like a factory preset and then tweak it can I save it somewhere as my own and keep the factory preset? Are there "banks" that are empty/spare where I can save my own stuff?

Last edited:
You put your patches where you want them. They can all be overwritten any way you like—even the factory patches.

When you save a preset, you're saving exactly what you've dialed in at that moment.

There are 16 banks of factory patches, each bank contains 8 patches. If I remember correctly, there are 64 banks, total, so you've got a lot of room to store stuff! And you can save all your patches to your computer and edit them with AX8 editing software and the Fractal Bot.

You'll manage the presets from AX8-Edit with the Axe-Manage Presets feature. You can do mass copying, cutting, moving, loading, etc. It's powerful and intuitive.

Here's how I have my preset banks setup (still a work in progress).

- Banks 1-3: current gig presets, in order of usage on the gig, so I can just "Preset Up" to get to the next song.

- Banks 4-15: reserved for song specific presets, alphabetical (although usually not because I have to remove them all and reload them to re-sort alphabetically any time I add a song)

- Banks 16-31: (updated) factory presets (moved here because I never touch them)

- Banks 32-63: amp/guitar/usage specific presets (so anything from a Twin Reverb preset to an acoustic DI preset)

- Banks 64: templates and master "kitchen sink" rigs

Save as and choose your location. If you stick with one amp and various settings maybe use scenes. If you switch between two amps and a few settings maybe amp x/y maybe scenes. If you use several amps and a few effects as I do you can use amp x/y and allocate a footswitch to another preset. That let's me use 4 amps and switch back and forth quickly. Many options so little time.....

If you use multiple guitars (like me) I sort my presets by which guitar I am using (single coils or humbuckers). I stored a bank of presets (8 presets) voiced for single coils with an "S" at the end of the preset name and another bank of presets with an "H" at the end of the name (for humbuckers). Eight presets is enough to cover most of the performing I do so if I am playing a strat I just call up the "S" presets and if I am playing a humbucker equipped guitar, I scroll up one bank to the "H" presets. I mostly play worship services at church, so that system works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom