Patch critique needed - HAD again

scottl

Could stand to use a bit (and I mean just a smudge) more of gain... other than that, I think it sounds great!!!! Wonder what it would sound like with a little bit of delay? hm....

I think at this point it's up to your dog ears and goals Scott. It's sounded great on your other clips; this one sounds very very good (!!! *no, I am not channeling Tag on purpose) and really, if you didn't say boo about what you did and posted this on TGP, you'd be lauded for your incredible recording technique. It sits VERY well against the backing track. Feels very natural just listening.

The only thing I'd be chasing comes from IR's and reverb settings; but that's me projecting my little pet journey unto you.

Just keep it coming. It's fun to be able to record in dead silence with the kids sleeping peacefully, ain't it?

I think the patch sounds great. The problem I'm hearing in that song is your note choice. Perhaps no one has ever told you, but the only notes you should be playing in Dm are D, F, G, A and C.

GaryRichie said:
I think the patch sounds great. the problem I am hearing in that song is your note choice. Perhaps no one has ever told you, but the only notes you should be playing in Dm are D, F, G, A and C.

If this is a joke, it went over my head.

Great sounding track!

HailHalford said:
GaryRichie said:
I think the patch sounds great. the problem I am hearing in that song is your note choice. Perhaps no one has ever told you, but the only notes you should be playing in Dm are D, F, G, A and C.

Great sounding track!

It's a joke. The notes he listed are the Dm Pentatonic scale, which is what most people revert too when soloing over a blues progression. The recording features superb note choice with fluid movement through several scales and arpeggios. Nice work!

I think this is your best tone with the Axe-Fx yet Scott. However, it's missing a little bit of the chirp that you had on (I think?) Bad Milk. Of course, you were going for the horn thing, and horns don't chirp. I like the tone here, but I'd like to hear a bit more of the pick out in front of the notes. All personal preference though. This sounds really good!

Yes, it was a joke. Yes, it went over your head HailHalford. Scott's note choice was great as it always is. If anything was over anyone's head, it was Scott's playing over my head. Dm pentatonic would be where I would have stayed for that solo. Maybe I would have got adventurous and added the note "E" if I wanted to really get crazy.

Sidivan said:
HailHalford said:
GaryRichie said:

Great sounding track!

It's a joke. The notes he listed are the Dm Pentatonic scale, which is what most people revert too when soloing over a blues progression. The recording features superb note choice with fluid movement through several scales and arpeggios. Nice work!

:oops: Sorry, my sarcastic humor meter wasn't working when I read your post. Maybe I'm just having trouble admitting my own minor pentatonic abuse.

And I'll say it again: Great track!

scottl said:
Thanks so much guys!!

I was inspired by the pentatonic comments to play a little more inside.... J/K! :twisted: I added a little bite to the tone. Is this better or worse?

http://scottlernermusic.com/axe/DminAxeFx2.mp3

If that's 'in the box' well, I use the wrong boxes. :D

I like the bite on both, but do prefer your first one there on *just* that point. The new one cuts the mix better, though perhaps you need to mix it back a few degrees with all that cut.

Which is funny to tell you because it's like a first year med student telling the head surgeon how to do his work. And remember - I have absolutely no background in Dumble tone other than I can say I've played a real Dumble once for 10 minutes (though I do not know anything else about it. It was in Randy Volin's shop here in Michigan). :D

Thanks Scott!! I changed the upload to be my first, more rational mix! The one I posted was way hot and had a little EQ. This one is pure Axe, nothing altered.

Scott Peterson said:
scottl said:
Thanks so much guys!!

I was inspired by the pentatonic comments to play a little more inside.... J/K! :twisted: I added a little bite to the tone. Is this better or worse?

If that's 'in the box' well, I use the wrong boxes. :D

I like the bite on both, but do prefer your first one there on *just* that point. The new one cuts the mix better, though perhaps you need to mix it back a few degrees with all that cut.

Which is funny to tell you because it's like a first year med student telling the head surgeon how to do his work. And remember - I have absolutely no background in Dumble tone other than I can say I've played a real Dumble once for 10 minutes (though I do not know anything else about it. It was in Randy Volin's shop here in Michigan). :D

For some reason, I get erroes on page, why is that? Its fartstarting or frustrating (trying to spell frustatedly... :oops: ) when I cant listen to Scott's new track playing :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom