Patch creation, and FC control (as far as we know) help

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
OK, So Ive been a Fractal user since 2008. First a standard, then an original Mk1 AFX2 which I still have.

Im considering the AFX3 - though Im in Europe so will be a wait - and I wont get one until the FC controllers are released either. HOWEVER, Im trying to figure out how to "recreate" my current patch set up and switching option on the new system. Not easy as I use all 17 buttons on the MFC - however I dont use scenes at all at present.

So - I currently have a "virtual board" set up. I have banks of 5 presets on the bottom 5 buttons. Each "set" has patches for clean, pushed, crunch, heavy rhythm and lead tones. I have a gain boost on each preset which utilises the Amp A/B to set different gain/EQ/master/vol settings. This gave me a 2 channel amp type set up. I then have a volume boost (using the main out setting), 2 drives, a compressor, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary and trem blocks on my remaining buttons. Wah is on an auto engage Rocktron Hex.

Now - the FC12 only has 12 buttons, however with 4 channels available in the AFX3, I wont need 2 drives, and can streamline my patches. I read the FC12 can have 12 "pages" each with its own settings/assignments including patches. AS Ive never used more than 20 presets (4 backs of 5 tones) I can probably live with that - If I can assign the "press and hold" function of each FC button to recall 12 presets.

As far as emulating my twin channel amps - Im thinking I can set up 4 buttons on the FC to recall 4 scenes - each scene recalling 1 channel of each block (so scene 1 has channel A of the amp, reverb, delay etc - scene 2 has channel 2 etc). That means each Preset has 4 different amps. This is 1 less than I have no but is fine. Im then thinking of a 5th button toggling 2 amp blocks - so Block A on Block B off, then a toggle to Block A off and Block B on. I can then mirror the channels for Amp A and B, but with different gain/B/M/T/Master setting. In my head that gives me 4 different amps - each with its own set of FX - and a gain boost for each amp (using the amp block toggle).

If I then add a gain pedal (again 4 channels) a button - and move my vol boost to a 2nd cont controller (If Im spending on an AFX 3 plus FC12 another hundred or so on a second pedal wont break the bank) - by bottom 6 buttons take care of all "gain" related options - and the press and hold functions give me 12 variations - a total 48 configurations equivalent to my current ones (16 x 4) - which as I say I use 20. Thats plenty for expansion.

That leaves the FX. I think I can streamline these. My reverb is almost never off, I hardly use a compressor so I can assign one button to either or IF I need to switch mid song - with the other set as needed in the preset. I then use either phaser OR Flanger, and either Trem OR Rotary. So one each for those (again with which ever Ill use set in the scene) - then dedicated buttons for delay and Chorus. That leaves one spare - Which I can utilise for a tunes/mute perhaps, or a dedicated FX If I find Im struggling with the new set up (reverb on its own for instance).

Soooo - after that long post - would the AFX3 work like that (as I dont use scenes and dont have a 3 yet Im not sure) - and if it will, is the FC12 likely to work as Id like to achieve the FS options? (particularly the press and hold to basically instantly recall one of 12 sets of 4 amps on the 12 buttons).

I now the FC12 is an "unknown" really but any incite/speculation would be of help. Also if theres other ways of configuring the AFX3/FC12 in a better way to achieve what I currently have that would be great as well.

An FC18 would be brilliant (3 rows of 12) .... but thats not happening I guess. I could chain a 12 and a 6 but that would be one long board with a Cont Controller as well. Not sure I want to do that - and putting one behind the other wont work well as it wont ramp properly - hence trying to figure how to use 12 buttons and AF£s channels/scenes to get me the same (or nearly) functionality.

Back
Top Bottom