Patch bay - what am I missing

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
ive been preparing for the arrival of my 2, and changed my rack blank/patch panel connections. I have 2 blanks which is fine - but am wondering if Ive missed anything.

I have:

Guitar in - routed to the front pannel socket.
Aux In - routed to input 2. for accoustic/bass/vocal use should I need it
Midi In
Midi Out
MFC In
USB In
XLR Left Out (from OP 1 XLR)
XLR R Out (From OP1 XLR)

I also have twin Speakon outputs - one each to the two channels on my Matrix. The inputs for these channels are taken from OP1 jack socket and OP 2 Jack socket. Normal the two outputs are globaly EQd differently. OP1 is flat nd used for live use. OP 2 is EQd for low volume home use compensating for the FM curve. IF I send a signal to the desk I can monitor onstage via either OP 2 to the Matrix/cab as it will be at low volumes OR Via XLR Right (as the Desk will take a mono signal) to a powered wedge (as long as it has an XLR I/P). Havent got the wedge yet.

I THINK Im all set. As I say I have 2 blanks 9which will be fitted with D-Type blanks) and I have a 1U perforated blank, and a 2U slotted blank to cover the rest of the back of the rack. The 2U is yet to arrive. I wont look quite right, but will give better ventilation at the top of the rear.

I currently have a 4 socket extension cable secured to the roof of my rack - but when I get the 2 it will be raplaced with a 2 socket (as I wont need the power cable for the MFC). The lead for this comes out of the rear of the rack between two blanks (or possible the top of the rack and a blank) and is secure. id quite like an IEC switched IP on the back, hard wired to both the AFX2 and matrix internally - but while I can find a suitable inlet - there either snap ins OR have a flange that screws in. Neither are Ideal as Im useless at metalwork - and would need to cut suitable holes in one of the blanks. I might have to find someone who can do that for me.

In the meantime - have I left anything off my pannel that I should/could fill the blanks with? I cant see a need for the F/S sockets, the rear inputs for ip 1.

Might be easier to determine what's missing if you tell us what you want to accomplish with the panel. Based on the fact that you have a guitar input routed to the front panel, it seems that you might be trying to avoid removing the front cover. If that's indeed the case, would you want a power switch on the back panel?

Yep, Powercon is kind of Speakon for power.
Here's a picture of my rack and panel. I don't have to open the back... Two XLR inputs will be added (for Axe inputs 2) and I might ditch the Midi Out...

View attachment 8641

Not trying to avoid it - in fact I have to remove it as the speaker cable plugs in the back.

I guess I have everything I "need" covered. A power switch would be neater - as at present I have a power cable "hard wired" into the rack. That is the "extension" end is screwed into the roof of the rack, while the cable feeds through a gap in the blanks. Not a buig deal as I also have some Velcro strips around the 1U blank in question, so it ties up quite neatly for transport - but a propper IEC connector would be better.

Trying to think how to incorporate something like this:

IEC INLET FUSED AND SWITCHED - PE00094 - PRO ELEC

In truth a Powercon would work if I can find a UK source. How does the power cable connect on the inside? are they screwed terminals like an IEC or are they soldered? I want to connect the two short IEC to (presumably) bare end cables to the one outlet - one for the AFX2 and another for the Matrix. I guess I could just use the mounted extension socket - just shorten the cable and connect just that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom