Patch and scene changes via DAW (Reaper in this case)

phil92

Experienced
hey guys,

I'm a total noob as far as this is concerned; I'm so happy the Axe connects to my macbook and reaper as easily as it does, no drivers, no complicated stuff no additional hardware.

But when I decided to try and set up automatic patch and scene changes I couldn't get it to work:

How do I set up the midi routing, which output do I select? That should work over USB, correct? Or do I need anything else?

I saw info on how to change patches, ie Bank and program number, but how do I change scenes within a preset?

I have done this with Pro Tools - I'm not near my Axe Fx at the moment, but the rough steps were:
  1. On your Axe-Fx, go into Setup -> MIDI/Remote -> Other, and assign a CC number to the "Scene Select" property. From memory I chose 80 I think.
  2. Make sure your Axe-Fx and your DAW are listening and sending on the same MIDI channel
  3. In your DAW, create a new MIDI track, and set it up with an automation line for the CC number you chose above.
  4. As the track plays back, automate the value of the CC number appropriately. The controller value determines which Scene is loaded: 0 = Scene 1, 1 = Scene 2, 2 = Scene 3, 3 = Scene 4, 4 = Scene 5, 5 = Scene 6, 6 = Scene 7, 7 = Scene 8. The series continues, cycling through scenes 1–8 for values up to 127 (Scene 8)
See pg 165 of the owners manual for more info.

Last edited:
got it! Patch changes, scene changes, block bypass, it all works, this is amazing!

The important bit that I was missing was selecting the midi hardware in the preferences. ...and then restarting Reaper; because at first it said it couldn't open the output

Back
Top Bottom