Pat Metheny synth Lead

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Pat Metheny synth Lead - Clip posted

I posted that in the topic started by Island Music but I figure it deserves its own post/thread.

I've made synth patch that emulates pretty accurately the GR300 sound of Pat Metheny.

I'll try to post a sample as soon as I have an adequate track for it. In the meantime, here's the patch.

Shift in the synth block is controlled to change octave.
Volume Block controls volume level.

Enjoy

Attachments

• GR 300.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
I'm curious to know how many people have actually downloaded the patch and tried it out. Much less, given any feedback on it. Just checking if it's worth it at all to post patches since they seem to go into a vacuum.

extra info - i can't test your patch (i'm on an ultra), but i've been trying to nail this tone recently, and in my research i learned that the filter tracks the pitch shift, so when you raise the pitch by an octave the filter opens slightly. you can hear this on metheny's solos when he kicks in the octave - check out this vid too (forward to about 4:20) -

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer GR-300 Tutorial Pat Metheny - YouTube

i have my synth filters set to 2000hz and raise them to 2312hz when i raise the pitch

i'd love to hear a clip of yours!

sim

I downloaded just now and will try it tonight. I got a couple G300 patches from another thread and will try to find a place to stick them into the setlist. I've already gotten violin and the floyd synth into the set list. Sort of becoming a hobby/challenge to see how many wild sounds I can fit in.

I'm curious to know how many people have actually downloaded the patch and tried it out. Much less, given any feedback on it. Just checking if it's worth it at all to post patches since they seem to go into a vacuum.

Hiya :)
First of all, thanks a lot for sharing the patch...of course its worth sharing these stuff, its just that it takes some time to people to download, test it and comment on this forum :)

I downloaded it 4 hours ago, i tested it for a few minutes and i have to say that im very impressed! Its very very usable in a musical context. I had to shunt the detune because for some reason it sounded bad on my setup (i dont have external controllers configured right now either, so i had to shunt the volume block as well)

I just cant understand why roland is not selling a real gr300 that can work with normal hex pickups :( i would buy it NOW

Cheers :)

It sound decent, except you have to modify parameters to get it to work if you don't have an expression pedal. Thanks for making it!

Thanks for the feedback.
Gamba: The detune emulates the slight pitch increase that occurs on attack in the GR300. IMO it's a key element of that sound, but it still sounds decent without it. Glad you enjoy it.
Jason: Yeah, it's my patch and it's set up for how I use it. I don't think I will ever make a patch with the generic user in mind. At least I supplied the data so you and others can mod it to use it with your rig.
Carydad: I tried the other GR300 patches and they sounded a bit anemic to me which is why I decided to make my own. Let me know how they compare to you.

I'll post a sample after the crazy hectic holiday season.
Cheers

Well, I managed to steal a few minutes to post this sample (in original post). Note that I lowered the filter value from 3K to about 2083Hz after re-listening to "Are you going with Me" and finding that my patch was a bit too strident.

I can't get rid of some of the attack glitches where the pitch glides into the correct value except by slowing down the attack "too much" for my taste, so I left a short attack, but you're welcome to tweak!

Note that the sample is by no means a duplicate or even approximate or even loosely related to Pat's solo on this. I just had me some fun! ;)

Well, I managed to steal a few minutes to post this sample (in original post). Note that I lowered the filter value from 3K to about 2083Hz after re-listening to "Are you going with Me" and finding that my patch was a bit too strident.

I can't get rid of some of the attack glitches where the pitch glides into the correct value except by slowing down the attack "too much" for my taste, so I left a short attack, but you're welcome to tweak!

Note that the sample is by no means a duplicate or even approximate or even loosely related to Pat's solo on this. I just had me some fun! ;)

Aaaarg, it sounds really great, i cant seem to get the same sound. As i told you, i had to shunt the detune, i was getting too much detune, but it sounds just fine for you.

Any ideas??

Yes. I set up the ASDR for my detune controller. Doh! I had forgotten that.
Here are the values in ms 54/155/171. Threshold is -48dB.
This is what gives the instant detune/retune of the attack.
This should solve it. Go into I/O for that patch, ASDR1 and set it as above, should handle it.

just had a listen to the clip you posted patzag - sounds very nice indeed. my only quibble is with the attack, which seems a bit slower then the original. might i humbly suggest that you could try lowering the mix level on the synth block a touch to let some of the guitar sound attack come through and perhaps try putting a tape drive, with the low cut set about 2000Hz and a high level of drive, after the synth block? i've been trying to make a gr-300 patch for the ultra and this was my solution to the attack portion of the sound which also helps to make it sound less digital and a bit more "analogue"

sim

I downloaded it and then loaded it into my Axe almost immediately after the post.

However, I was not able to get ANY sound out it...

But I would welcome this patch for sure... since I love Pat Methany and love to play this kind of synthy stuff (I own a GR-50 and other guitar synths)

As an FYI, I almost always download the patches posted on this forum and give them a try. You never know when someone is going to find that 'magic' patch that no one else has ever thought of.

Keep them coming!

L

I downloaded it and then loaded it into my Axe almost immediately after the post.

However, I was not able to get ANY sound out it...

But I would welcome this patch for sure... since I love Pat Methany and love to play this kind of synthy stuff (I own a GR-50 and other guitar synths)

As an FYI, I almost always download the patches posted on this forum and give them a try. You never know when someone is going to find that 'magic' patch that no one else has ever thought of.

Keep them coming!

L

Try to shunt the volume block and see if you get sound. That'd be the first thing I would do as I have a volume controller on this. Thanks for the feedback.

just had a listen to the clip you posted patzag - sounds very nice indeed. my only quibble is with the attack, which seems a bit slower then the original. might i humbly suggest that you could try lowering the mix level on the synth block a touch to let some of the guitar sound attack come through and perhaps try putting a tape drive, with the low cut set about 2000Hz and a high level of drive, after the synth block? i've been trying to make a gr-300 patch for the ultra and this was my solution to the attack portion of the sound which also helps to make it sound less digital and a bit more "analogue"

sim

Thanks Sim,
I slowed the attack on purpose because of a glitch I can't get rid of in the attack of the synth itself. Still working on it, but there aren't that many settings to mess with. There's a "glide" into the pitch that occurs at slower attacks. I'll check out your technique when I get a chance.

yeah, the synths are funny. sometimes they seem to track really well and other times not..depending on which waveforms you use. i have some synth patches that track perfectly and others that are as glitchy as hell...!

yeah, the synths are funny. sometimes they seem to track really well and other times not..depending on which waveforms you use. i have some synth patches that track perfectly and others that are as glitchy as hell...!

hmmm ... That gives me an idea! Get back to you on that one!

Hey there together!
I´m really new here and this is an very old conversation, but i´m looking for this sound since the early 80th :)
I´m glad to have a brand new AX8 but it looks like, this patch won´t work with it....
Did anyone have an updated Version to share? Or an idea where i can find one?
Thanks a lot and Best wishes!
Frank

Hey there together!
I´m really new here and this is an very old conversation, but i´m looking for this sound since the early 80th :)
I´m glad to have a brand new AX8 but it looks like, this patch won´t work with it....
Did anyone have an updated Version to share? Or an idea where i can find one?
Thanks a lot and Best wishes!
Frank
Start with @simeon s synth patches/blocks at the link at his posts above......and learn how to use and transfer
Blocks, and get a copy of Fractool so you can try to convert his presets to AX8...some work better than other...

Back
Top Bottom