Passive FRFR speakers for the Matrix amps?

miknshla

Inspired
The Matrix amps seem to be a popular choice for the Axe but are people mainly using these with guitar cabs or are many using an FRFR passive speakers?

I like the option of being able to use rack mounted power amp with either guitar cabs or FRFR but it seems like most people get the active FRFR speakers.

I have a matrix amp and what I'm using as a cabinet is an old line 6 flextone cabinet, with the cab sims on, and it sounds awesome. I didn't think that it would for some reason, bud it does. I know that particular cabinet was made for modeling amps, so I can only imagine, that's the reason why it sounds so good. I definitely want to try it with a 4x12 sometime, just to see what the difference would be. I also use a K10 at the same time, between the two I get a really full sound.

Ok, I looked into this some more and found passive frfr options would be Matrix CFR, Xitone with Eminence BetaCX, Atomic passives. Any others?

Check my signature - I have some Tannoy speakers on the way for review.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

At the moment both guitar players in my band are using an Electro Voice ELX112. Cheap and sounds killer!

I use the 'fEARFULL' monitor, in composite, from ART OF NOISE. In fact, that's my blue cabinet on the home page. Weighs NOTHING, sounds great. It's a 3-way system, 12/6/1. Actually, the tweeter's almost not needed. I can roll it off and there's almost no difference. It is MUCH more detailed with MUCh clearer transient response than my single EVM 12L ported enclosure.

Originally designed as a bass enclosure, if is flat, but with extended low end (think a PA speak + a subwoofer). it's GREAT for guitar, bass, keyboards. There are less expensive fEWRFULL cabs made out of plywood for sale. And you can find extensive do it yourself info here: Platonic Fox - fEarful Bass Cabinet - Why you should build one.

Last edited:
Any Passive PA cab would work. They may not be the best, but they may also be very high end - so no real difference betwen powered units.

I use a GT1500FXBD and two Matrix CFRs and I am loving the flexibility of system. I loved my times with an Orange PPC212 but the Matrix FRFRs are, to me, what using the AF2 is all about.

EV ELX 112 is nice, but I would try to find a JBL SRX712M. They're recently discontinued, but they're so compact, light, and they handle lots of power!

FYI - Tannoy VX12 & VX12HP, Matrix 1500FXBD have all arrived here; next week I get into the review process. Looking forward to it. Will report back once I get the reviews complete.

I use the 'fEARFULL' monitor, in composite, from ART OF NOISE. In fact, that's my blue cabinet on the home page. Weighs NOTHING, sounds great. It's a 3-way system, 12/6/1. Actually, the tweeter's almost not needed. I can roll it off and there's almost no difference. It is MUCH more detailed with MUCh clearer transient response than my single EVM 12L ported enclosure.

Originally designed as a bass enclosure, if is flat, but with extended low end (think a PA speak + a subwoofer). it's GREAT for guitar, bass, keyboards. There are less expensive fEWRFULL cabs made out of plywood for sale. And you can find extensive do it yourself info here: Platonic Fox - fEarful Bass Cabinet - Why you should build one.

Was your EV cab a thiele cab, or just a regular cab? I've been debating going either the thiele/ev route or the fearful 15/6/1 route. Either way I would order the empty cab and assemble it myself and put in the speakers myself, etc. I have been leaning towards the thiele route for now and then fearful later as I can build the thiele for about just under half the price of the fearful.

However if your cab was a "true" thiele and the fearful was that much better, then maybe I should skip the thiele and see if I can eventually find a deal on the kappalites.

Back
Top Bottom