• EAW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBL

• Yamaha

• Tannoy V

• Other Coxial (please reply with details)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

youngmic

Inspired
Which passive FRFR do you use?

Feel free to reply with details if you selected "other", or if you want to elaborate.

Other/Co-ax. Bassist here...2 cabinets, each loaded with Ciare NDCX15-2.1 15" coax. Powered by Crown Drivecore XLS2500 in bi-amp mode (mono) using built-in crossover.

----- Lightningboy, did you cast your vote? I don't see it showing up.

Last edited:
Selected Other. Using Beyma 12GA50's with Matrix XT800.

+1

In about 2 weeks the Matrix GT800FX will change the XT800
In about 2 months maybe the Beyma 12XC30 or the 12XA30ND will change the 12GA50 (inspired by lightningboy)

Last edited:
Lightningboy, how are you liking the coax 12" speakers? How many per cabinet and how many cabinets do you use? I have a guitarist who is exploring the Axe-Fx and I haven't seen a lot of posts about using co-ax speakers. IMO, I think they are a great solution to FRFR. Do they do a good job of making the live sound produced by the cabinet "feel" like a "real" guitar cabinet? Pros? Cons?

Lightningboy, how are you liking the coax 12" speakers? How many per cabinet and how many cabinets do you use? I have a guitarist who is exploring the Axe-Fx and I haven't seen a lot of posts about using co-ax speakers. IMO, I think they are a great solution to FRFR. Do they do a good job of making the live sound produced by the cabinet "feel" like a "real" guitar cabinet? Pros? Cons?

Strictly speaking the 12GA50 is a full range driver or "whizzer cone" rather than a co-axial. Doesn't need a crossover network like the majority of co-axials. The pro's for the 12GA50's are (in no order) low price, high (102db) sensitivity so very loud, good power handling (250w) and a reasonably good full range (more on that later). I originally wanted to see if the Beymas would fit into a 4x12 cabinet and give me the "best of both worlds" with the traditional look of a guitar cab but without heavily modifying it with tweeters and crossovers etc and giving me at least the full range part of the FRFR equation. Up until this weekend I've been using the Beymas in a mini 4x12 Marshall cab. I've got 2 Beymas in the top half of the cab and 2 cheapo whizzer cone speakers (Skytronic) in the bottom half. Its a stereo cab so each side is a Beyma and a Skytronic. The cheapo ones haven't as high a sensitivity (92db) and are a really just to get each side to 4ohms and also to blend in with the Beyma's and tame the highs a little and add a bit more low end range. It's worked surprisingly well. I've run cab sims both on stage and to FOH. I've been quite happy with the "feel" and depending on which IR i've been using, have had a sound somewhere in between "amp in the room" and mic'ed up. I use the Axe FX Ir's without mics or the Redwirez without overly coloured mics. The cons of the Beyma's are that the response off axis is quite poor and that it's got quite a high QTS so needs a bigger cab or an open back or semi open back to work ideally. Also they aren't the flattest speaker out there so you do get what you pay for. Compared to other "modelling" speakers and full range ones though I'd say its the best of the bunch (maybe a bad bunch some would say)
The off axis response has bugged me for a while, and this has set me to start exploring other full range solutions like the Beyma 12XA30ND or the 12KX along with a crossover with variable HF level, although with finances at a stretch at the moment, the 12CX30 may replace these 2 preferred options. Any of these options I feel would give me a flatter response and better off axis response. Before my Stewart amp went up in smoke and I had to get the Matrix amp, that was going to be my next purchase but it's back to square one for now! Anyway before I go down that route, this weekend I swapped out the speakers into my slant 5150 cab, big cab, well made and as a result the Beymas became a a bit more "in your face" and certainly more directional because of the slant of the cab. Instantly I got a tighter bass response and the mids dropped a lot less off axis, still not perfect but better. Played around with putting some pink noise through the speakers and measuring the response of the speakers and endeavouring to EQ them a little flatter. That's worked surprisingly well and added a lot more crispness and sparkle to the speakers. Music sounds great through them and the amp sims seem to be a lot more dynamic. Also played around with EQ'ing to get them as close to sounding like the direct Axe FX signal. Managed pretty well and I'm sure with better speakers that will be a lot easier. Anyway, the tweaks I'd say have improved the sound a good amount. Now a day re-tweaking patches!!

Lightningboy, thanks for the detailed low-down. All great information and very pertinent stuff that I'll pass along to my guitarist friend. Your analysis and general approach to using full-range 12" speakers and/or coax definitely squares with how I personally feel about this subject. Thanks again for sharing!

Voted other. I'm Currently using an Eminence Beta 12lta coax speaker which I put into an old Orange 1x12 cab I had going spare. I did it as a cheap way to get an idea what a full range setup would sound like with a mind to upgrade in the future, but I'm shocked how much I like this speaker and have no plans to change it out any time soon.

+1

In about 2 weeks the Matrix GT800FX will change the XT800
In about 2 months maybe the Beyma 12XC30 or the 12XA30ND will change the 12GA50 (inspired by lightningboy)

If you are interested in the 12xa take a look at Achenbach Akustik they have a special designed monitor with a new designed crossover. Unfortunately just a German page. In general they have good credits in the home hifi community. Probably you could pass the monitor design to tt-cabs to build one.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

If you are interested in the 12xa take a look at Achenbach Akustik they have a special designed monitor with a new designed crossover. Unfortunately just a German page. In general they have good credits in the home hifi community. Probably you could pass the monitor design to tt-cabs to build one.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Phill,
Thanks you very very much. Now that is a great tip! My German is pretty OK so no problem! Well I am not in a hurry so I am in the stage of reading as much as possible about these Beyma's. Also had contact with Boogafunk but they did not want to share their highgrade crossover diagram (understandable).

Thanks

I wasn't specific enough. They have a reference design for the cabinet it self and a plan of the dimensions etc. This plan is available at the homepage for free so you can build the cabinet. You still need to buy the beyma+crossover at achenbach. So they do not share the design of the crossover :). The design of the crossover is highly adapted to the specific cabinet design. So there is no guarantee that it will work that good in a standard tt-cab. The achenbach design is for a floor monitor with just 1x12" and 4 bass reflection tubes (hope that's the right translation :))

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

me too, more votes would be great

for me this is the million dollar question as a new user

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom