Passing on some IR secrets

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I use my Fractal Audio Axe-FX II for both live and studio use. I primarily use it as an all-in-one solution and run direct-to-FOH and monitor with a powered wedge. In doing that over the years... I've used a lot of IR's. I use the stock Fractal IR's; own the entire Red Wire collection and the entire OwnHammer collection.

I've often advised people to mix a R121 & SM57 (off axis cap edge) for great 'quick results'. It's a classic combination in the studio; and it works. However, can be fatiguing over a gig to listen to that in your face loud (and the same holds true for the audience listening to you on the PA).

I also have a more advanced mix that I am slower to share, because it is my 'gold standard' and takes a little 'more' to get. After literally 100's (1000's?) of different mixtures, and ratios... this is my 'perfect storm... final answer' when it comes to Red Wire IR's.

I use the excellent Axe-O-Matic DSP from Ownhammer's site (and have donated money on top of buying it to Axe-FX owner that created it - it is that good). Link here: OwnHammer.com - Axe-O-Matic

With that you can mix IR's in parallel via ratios; and can choose the ratio by relevancy to each number. That means you can use any scale. I use a 1-10 scale. Nice.
My "RWmix7" mixes includ the following (using Red Wire):

- R121 at 4" cap (Ratio: 10)
- U47 at 3" cap (Ratio: 10)
- Ambient Mic (Behind the cab; prefer 12" but use whatever is available (not all distances are available in each speaker IR collection)) (Ratio: 3)
- Add Filter - Add the Neve EQ1073.wav HiPass-80Hzfile

Mix them with the Axe-O-Matic; drop that into your Axe-FX (or other modelers or software plug-in's using VST plug-ins) and that's it. Works for most every speaker in the Red Wire collection. Another very advanced thing that I do is mix the above without the filter and save them. Then I combine different speaker IR's with that EQ filter into combo cabs.

I do use the Mix-N-Match 4, 7 or 8 OwnHammer (especially for the heavier stuff) fairly often too. That's the 'easy peasy' way. **NO low cut needed with OwnHammer IR's.

When doing these, I recommend keeping the cab block 'vanilla' and that means - no motor drive, no air, no room, no mic.

Try this instead of adding EQ or PEQ blocks or going crazy with the amp block.

EDIT: Some simpler mixes that I totally dig and recommend using Red Wire:

For Fender Twin tones, I favor the following:

- Fender Twin - JBL D120Fs - M160 - Cap 2"
- Fender Twin - Jensen C12Ns - M160 - Cap 2"
Mixed evenly (ratio 1:1)

For the new Deluxe Tweed amp I am favoring the following:

- Fender Deluxe Reverb - Oxford 12K5-6 - M160 - Cap 2"
- Tweed Deluxe - Celestion Blue - M160 - Cap 2"
- Tweed Deluxe - Jensen P12R - M160 - Cap 2"
All mixed evenly (ratio 1:1:1).
Failing that, just roll with the first IR and go.

For Plexi/JTM/JCM sorts of tones I am favoring the following:

- '68 Basketweave - Vintage G12M25s - M160 - Cap 2"
- '68 Basketweave - Vintage G12H30s - M160 - Cap 2"
Mixed evenly (ratio 1:1)

I often also just use the Basketweave G12m25 with just the M160 and Cap 2" (or if too much bass, back it off to 4")

The key to killer tones live and in the studio are the IR's. This *will* get you there. It takes some work; the results are *more* than worth the effort. I promise.

Last edited:
Hey Scott I bought the AXE-O-Matic a few weeks ago when they added features and I really have no clue how it works. I have a question about it, if you can answer. Can you mix just the AXE FX II syx files or do you have to use the wav files?

Hey Scott I bought the AXE-O-Matic a few weeks ago when they added features and I really have no clue how it works. I have a question about it, if you can answer. Can you mix just the AXE FX II syx files or do you have to use the wav files?

Either/or.

You can mix the syx files. You can mix the wav files. You can mix the wav and the syx files and output it to Axe-FX II syx files. That's one reason I like it. The filter file (the Neve 1073) is a wav.

I use the excellent Axe-O-Matic DSP from Ownhammer's site

With that you can mix IR's in parallel via ratios; and can choose the ratio by relevancy to each number. That means you can use any scale. I use a 1-10 scale. Nice.
don't know why, but still haven't tried the Axe-O-Matic. so with the scale you're using, 10/10 would equal a 50/50 mix, right ? looks like an interesting alternative...off to download :)

don't know why, but still haven't tried the Axe-O-Matic. so with the scale you're using, 10/10 would equal a 50/50 mix, right ? looks like an interesting alternative...off to download :)

It's a relative scale and don't forget the ambient 'behind the cab' mic at 3/10 on that relative scale. So essentially I am using a 100/100/30 ratio because it is relative to the scale you set. I like that because it's flexible and fits how I think.

I download Axe-O-Matic I while back and have been anxious to try it out but I am still sifting through all the amp models. I will definitely give your method listed a go.

Question on the filter file...couldn't one just use the low cut in the cab block instead? Is there a benefit to applying the filter during the mix?

I download Axe-O-Matic I while back and have been anxious to try it out but I am still sifting through all the amp models. I will definitely give your method listed a go.

Question on the filter file...couldn't one just use the low cut in the cab block instead? Is there a benefit to applying the filter during the mix?

Well... yes and no.

Yes, you can most definitely use the low cut. However, IMHO, though subtle, the Neve 1073 adds 'something' to it. It matters to me. It might not to you.

Gotcha, that was my assumption. Just wanted to male sure I wasn't missing something under the surface.

Thanks!

Another very advanced thing that I do is mix the above without the filter and save them. Then I combine different speaker IR's with that EQ filter into combo cabs.

Scott - can you explain the above? Not sure I follow this part 100%.

And do you select the Normalize or Apply Min Phase options?

Last edited:
Scott - can you explain the above? Not sure I follow this part 100%.

And do you select the Normalize or Apply Min Phase options?

You mix the individual speakers as I explained... but do not add the EQ filter in. Next step is to mix the different speaker mixes together and *then* apply the EQ filter - you only want to apply that EQ filter once, on the very last mix you do. You create hybrid cabinets that way. It's very hip. It's also cool to mix in a R121 of one speaker and a U47 and ambient back of cab of another speaker... but that's getting into the rabbit hole. (I do enjoy the madness). LOL.

If you are using OwnHammer or Red Wire, they are already normalized and phase is no issue (already done).

Scott,
I have a 3 cab combo that I'm realing digging. I want to use Axe-O-Matic to mix/combine them but here's my dilema:

1 IR is Red Wire and 2 are stock Axe-II cabs with one being a (JM) Far-Field IR. I have the Red Wire but I'm not sure how to go about accessing the 2 factory IR's to throw into the mixing bowl.

Can this be done?

try the demo first. It will not run on mine win7 x64 box and the website states this:

Axe-O-Matic DSP is provided "As-Is", with no guarantee of functionality, no refunds, credits, or exchanges, and no support of any kind. For more information on why, please see the Axe-O-Matic F.A.Q.
Axe-O-Matic DSP may not work on systems with non-US character sets. To see if Axe-O-Matic DSP will install and run on your system please try the free limited function demos below, where a select set of features are unlocked for use:

try the demo first. It will not run on mine win7 x64 box and the website states this:

Does it load up and not work or just not run all together?

I get it to load and find my IR's but when I try to Mix or Plot I get nothing. I too am win 7 x64

I'll have to take notes on this one,back when I had the ultra and was buying IR's ,It got very confusing with so many chooses.With the II I've been just using the stock ones.I'll have to revisit them again:D Thanks for sharing

Axe-O-Matic DSP is provided "As-Is", with no guarantee of functionality, no refunds, credits, or exchanges, and no support of any kind. For more information on why, please see the Axe-O-Matic F.A.Q.
Axe-O-Matic DSP may not work on systems with non-US character sets. To see if Axe-O-Matic DSP will install and run on your system please try the free limited function demos below, where a select set of features are unlocked for use:
ooops... thanks for the hint, Sean. not interested in messing up my studio machine ;)

Back
Top Bottom