Wish "Pass-Thru" Auto-Engage AND "Expression Assign" AND "Mutual-Exclude Groups"

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Wish List' started by touch33, Oct 9, 2017.

1. touch33

touch33
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Hootersville (around the bend from Pixley)
    Like most of my "wishes", I assume that what I seek already exists and that I'm simply too Newb to know it. Having said that, I've read the UM's and searched the Forum and I think I might be in the clear on this post – but I'm not betting on it. Fair Warning: there is definitely a "If you give a mouse a cookie..." thing going on here, as one Wish leads to another. And another.

1) Most audio console and DAW automation systems have (and have had for decades) a "re-write" feature that prevents a fader from becoming "active" UNTIL it passes through a "memorized data point" of the fader travel – in other words, I can punch-in to activate the re-write process on a fader "level track" and wiggle the fader about as much as I like with no effect UNTIL I pass through an existing data memory point – at which time the fader automation rewrite function begins and the fader "picks up" control of the level until I punch-out of the process.

Does this particular type of Auto-Engage functionality already exist in XL+ World? If not, it seems like a handy way to be able to "auto-engage" an EP1 – AND it would also support ANOTHER function I've got in mind:

2) using either a dedicated momentary foot-switch (or buttons on an MFC/MMGT style floorboard) to be able to assign a single expression pedal to different Modifiers that exist within a given Preset/Block. I can already see three labeled buttons (let's say "EP1 to WAH", "EP1 to VOL" and "EP1 to DELAY") that are part of a Preset recall – and they allow me to determine what Modifier my single EP1 is controlling. The beautiful part is that once I've chosen what the EP1 is going to control (let's say the VOL Modifier) I know that doing so won't cause a jarring BANG when I make the switch because I still have to move the EP1 THROUGH whatever setting the VOL Modifier is already on BEFORE the EP1 is allowed to smoothly take over real-time control. I can then adjust the VOL Modifier to my little heart's content and simply press the "EP1 to VOL" button again to defeat the EP1 control of VOL. The value of VOL when I re-pressed the "EP1 to VOL" button (to turn it OFF) is it's new static value. "But what happens when you forget that the EP1 is already controlling VOL and you press the "EP1 to DELAY" button" you ask? Well, first of all I never forget anything, but just in case (last but not least):

3) how about the ability to create the three PEDAL buttons as members of a "MUTUAL-EXCLUDE GROUP" such that engaging any of the three PEDAL buttons will automatically defeat whichever other PEDAL function was already engaged to? Seems pretty straight-forward to me – I can either manually press an "assignment" button to turn it off, or if I forget that I left the EP-1 assigned to WAH simply pressing the "EP1 to DELAY" button will defeat the WAH connection (leaving the WAH "cocked" at it's current value unless perhaps I "heel" it to zero prior to it's defeat). If I make a mistake it's No Big Deal to reselect whatever "EP1 to ..." button I wish and pick up control by moving the EP-1. (BTW, I get that this might be an MFC/MMGT/WhatEv function and not necessarily an XL+ thang – afraid that's above my paid grade.)

I hope this explanation is not totally full of holes – but I look forward to hearing from the Usual Suspects when they find 'em...

Cheers,
    Bruce (touch33)

2. touch33

touch33
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Hootersville (around the bend from Pixley)
    For anyone that's interested: I've had my eye on a gently-used RJM "MasterMind GT/16" remote since before purchasing my XL+, and now that it's officially on it's way to me (!) I've spent some time reading the RJM "PBC/GT Editor" Manual. Turns out that my Wish Items #2 and #3 are both apparently available within the programming of the PBC and GT Series remotes. Perhaps someone with deep knowledge of the MPC can chime in on it's ability to be similarly configured?

Still hoping for some FAS Love on Item #1...