Partial FM3 Bootup then Freezes

SoulPedal

Sad to share for my first post, I'm having difficulty with my FM3 and was planning to use it at NAMM soon. If anyone has some ideas, I have not tried opening the case for any cable re-insertions as was suggest, but not sure it I should try that (warrantee?).

Seems it will get through the flashing LEDs to the bubbles then "FM3" large color splash screen with v5.01 displayed... and stays there, fan running.
Just prior, it was not responding to my 64 MIDI for Tap Tempo, but other MIDI commands were working fine.
This unit also would mix in multiple channels on a single effect (A-B-C-D switching constantly) in case that's related. Those were fixed with a complete firmware upgrade but not certain it's gone.

There's nothing in the environment that should warrant concern. It's cool inside, I've got battery backup with steady power, didn't drop or hit it, nothing spilled ever. (I bet that's what they all say :rolleyes:). So what's the next step?

Hopefully I can post something more positive soon. Thanks in advance.

Nothing obvious, green light on power supply, IR camera says nothing too is hot.
Can't wait for repair, ordered another one. Disappointed.

It updated 5.02 latest, passed memory tests, but same freezing on FM3 splash screen on power cycling. No progress bar. Tried all the options on Pg 102. While in diagnostics, there was white text showing Pedal A/D values... and the bottom one shows "temp = 320". Is that F as in core temp?

Update on this story... now concerned re my 2nd FM3 has a similar issue, lucky this one's under warranty.

My 1st FM3 blew the DSP chip so whole new board was the fix, and done (still in box lol). Symptoms of strange behavior before it went crazy are resurfacing on my 2nd unit (couldn't wait for the 1st to return and needed it for NAMM show).

Specifically, when I send a PC MIDI message to change programs, it (now sometimes) sends me off into the 400's. This doesn't sound DSP related, but Fractal service actually told me these strange things (among others I saw) are an indication of the problem I had, getting worse.

Needless to say I don't dare send it any more PC commands until I know what's going on here, but I did see an upgrade that allows us to toggle programs off a switch. This is actually a better use case for me and just MIDI toggle the switch instead, Bueno.

As to the random redirected PC command, any ideas?

Check to see if you have PC Mapping enabled or MIDI PC Offset.

These are in the Setup Midi/Remote menu.

How are you sending the PC? Is bank info (MSB/LSB) sent as part of the PC?

Check to see if you have PC Mapping enabled or MIDI PC Offset.

These are in the Setup Midi/Remote menu.

How are you sending the PC? Is bank info (MSB/LSB) sent as part of the PC?
Thanks. No offset (only 1 incremented value with that anyway, my problem sends me to the 400 range, sometimes).
My PC Mapping says "AS SAVED" for all of them. Not sure what that means.
My PC is sent plain Jane. Verified on a MIO realtime.

Here's my hardware where the signal is boosted to 5V from 3.3V logic, both regulated internally off a 9V Boss power pack.
1671202588742.png
All other commands work all day long. PC works too, right now. Here's my data sent. However, I tend to branch of PC 99 (clean channel) to something more grungy in the lower numbers. Maybe 99 is a special case?

1671203224734.png

Thanks again! Great questions, I'm baffled and concerned this is going the way of my last unit.

I cannot reproduce it now even using the old PC numbers. Could be difficult to catch, so I'm going to try the other route and implement a toggle switch assigned to 2 setups (using the latest firmware as I understand it).

Ya, I'm as baffled as you on this one. It's actually different code build and different hardware doing this same problem, but I can't rule out some bug on our end without monitoring it while it happens.

Any other ideas on what could possibly send it to 400's (mine are all empty too)? If I have too many effects and taxing the MPU or DSP, could it lead to my symptoms? I have not seen any CPU heat warnings (but didn't on my last unit either). There is about 1 sec latency on the switch for the FM3, and when I toggle twice quickly it takes the same 1 sec then does the round trip change very quickly. Thinking that latency is for the amp to disconnect, stabilize, and reconnect?

Hmmm. doing it again. Gonna open another ticket. My MIDI feed through on MIO disagrees with the FM3 actions out in the 444/484 instead of 59/99. Sure looks like an offset to me with the same 40 delta. We got a bit flipping somewhere.

Thanks.

Thanks. No offset (only 1 incremented value with that anyway, my problem sends me to the 400 range, sometimes).
My PC Mapping says "AS SAVED" for all of them. Not sure what that means.
That's not quite right. There's a Display Offset and a PC Offset.

Display Offset can be 0 or 1.

Midi PC Offset can be an arbitrary number.

Check both.

PC Mapping doesn't have "as saved" as an option, it has ENABLED or DISABLED.

That's not quite right. There's a Display Offset and a PC Offset.

Display Offset can be 0 or 1.

Midi PC Offset can be an arbitrary number.

Check both.

PC Mapping doesn't have "as saved" as an option, it has ENABLED or DISABLED.
Thanks, it was off, but service figured it out, pretty quick.
I had set up a controller on CC0 (value 0-3). When followed by the PC for that program, it changes the bank according to what CC0 was used prior... as I understand it. Whoa, don't use CC0 controller I guess.

Yup, I'm the guy their designers probably said "What are the odds someone sends a CC0-3 followed by a PC change?" 🤣

Back
Top Bottom